Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrmom999

Furnishing outdoor gable covered room which is 26 feet wide and 22 fee

Barbara
7 years ago

I am looking to furnish an outdoor patio which has a solid a-framed gable roof. Would like to put a TV in there, dining table and chairs and some kind of seating area facing the TV. Also need a ceiling fan or two as I live in Southern California. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Lights Online
    7 years ago

Because it's a patio with a roof, when you look for ceiling fans, look for ones that are damp area rated. We have a great selection of outdoor ceiling fans that will fit your needs. Do you have any particular decor style or finish in mind? I could pick out a few specific fans to offer as suggestions!

• k t
    13 days ago

Hi Barbara - we’re building an outdoor patio that will be covered with a gabled roof. We’ll also have a TV mounted over a new, stone fireplace that’ll be positioned at the center of the gable. What did you decide to do, and what advice could you give me with furnishings. We’re thinking of using teak wood furniture (dining table and chairs) plus a sitting area to view the TV. But, I just don’t know how comfortable teak will be and, conversely, are there any other outdoor options (aluminum furniture?) that will be durable and more comfortable?

• Barbara
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I sent you pictures of our couch, table and chairs and lighting. We had to minimalize on cushions because we have many animals in our yard that

( squirrels mice, etc) and they were eating the cushions. We also have dogs so the cushions required some vacuuming. I love teak but I hate maintenance so we just started buying Polywood furniture. It is very low maintenance. Easy to wash off etc. very happy with the Polywood. Any other questions feel free to ask. We also added heaters and a fan. I don't know where you live but we're in Southern California. We use the outside room a lot

• k t
    13 days ago

You look to have the same type of brushed, concrete patio service we’re planning for. Any suggestions or tips for concrete?

• Barbara
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

We just hose the concrete down but we have power washed it occasionally. We threw an indoor outdoor rug down by the coach but with our bad rains this past winter we had to throw it away. (I am into very low maintenance!) The rug will not be replaced.

You probably should be ok with the cabinets your building for the cushions. I don't know if it really works but we throw fabric softner sheets under our cushions. We read somewhere that should keep the animals away and they smell nice. Our had an electrician do the electrical for the heaters, fan and outdoor lighting coordinating with the Contractor ( we saved a little money that way). They are Infratech Heaters. We also put in Bad Ass Fans. Costco sells a lot of the Polywood furniture at good price. You may want to check them out. Costco also runs sales on the Polywood during the spring and summer. Hope this helps.

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

I put snow melting heating wire into my cement on the side of my house although I am in Southern California. A couple hours of pre-heating and you can walk barefoot on the cement on a chilly night. The heat radiates up about 2 feet so you still need an official heater but it is so luxurious to be heated from below as well as above.

• k t
    12 days ago

Barbara and Paul - thank you both for the tips and suggestions!

• k t
    3 days ago

Hello Houzz friends! I’m contacting you again to ask you for your input on outdoor heaters. Barbara, I see in one of your pics that you have two heaters mounted beneath your gable roof. How useful are your heaters? Did you need one GFCI outlet for each heater, and if so, is the outlet installed beneath each heater? The brand of heater we’re considering is Infratech …is that the brand you have … thoughts, please?

• Barbara
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

They are direct wired and they needed a 220 line. Each one. And yes they are infratech. All our plugs outside are gfis. We use the heaters quite a bit

• k t
    11 hours ago

Thank you for your feedback! Since I asked for input, I learned that the cost to upgrade our home’s existing electrical box to accommodate 3, 6000 watt Infratech heaters, will be approximately $20,000. I was impressed by Infratech’s customer service; their heaters and switches are affordable. I would like the heaters direct wired at the time the roof is built, but the cost to upgrade the box is surprising.

• Paul F.
    11 hours ago

I know I should have a dedicated line for my 50” bromic outdoor heaters, but I’m using the same 220 line that my steam shower uses. I can say for certain I will never be in the steam shower and also be interested in heating the outdoors… so I did it. The white glass cuts a little bit of the heat, but I didn’t want the red glow… Plus, this is Southern California so I think I should be OK.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida