Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_47290957

Help me choose a white BM paint color for my neutral bathroom please!

mel p
14 days ago

Hello,

I am having a really hard time choosing a white paint color for bathroom. I am reading online that the paint color should have the same undertone as my shower and floor tiles, but I can't tell what the undertone of those are. My shower tiles are Bedrosians Makoto tile in Shoji White. Is that a warm or cool undertone in the tile? I read online that if it's not the same undertone, it will make the tile look muddy and I think that's what happened after we installed the white borders of the niche and window. My husband said it looks fine and will go away once the white toilet is in too.

I have attached photos of the small bathroom with natural light and artificial light. Fixtures will be brushed gold and the vanity is a light oak with white top. Photos attached. I am looking for a Benjamin Moore white paint color if you have any suggestions for me to try. Thank you!

ALSO: Bonus Question: My husband and contractor said I don't need a vanity light, since the can lights are so bright and the bathroom is so small it will possibly look like too cluttery? But I think the vanity light completes the look....any input is appreciated.

Comments (10)

• kandrewspa
    14 days ago

Get chips for all of BM's top whites and look at them next to your tiles. It's difficult to impossible for people to choose the right white online. I will guess that Decorator's White will be a good fit, but you'll have to verify it for yourself. Once you think you have found the right one, get a Samplize (larger) sample, paint one wall or a sample board to verify your choice. Large amounts of a color frequently look different than the small chips. Sorry, there really is no easy way to do this.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You must do this in your own home by testing.

Buy a quart each of Decorator White, and Chantilly Lace. Roll the walls.don't even bother with Sampilize.

We can't advise a light, we aren't seeing the bath layout or even where the vanity will be located.

• Andee
    13 days ago

Go to the Maria Killam website. She has a "colorwheel" that will allow you to read the undertones without getting samples and chips and relying on your own interpretation. It also shows you the various kinds of whites.

She also has a pdf booklet that you can get for free "Whites are Complicated". And indeed they are. I got the colorwheel and booklets when we started renovating 15 months ago. I can't tell you how much that colorwheel has helped. I can't deal well with whites, but this has made it soooo much easier.

I've also found the Kylie M website to be enormously helpful this week as I am trying to decide between 4 different "off-whites" paints for my kitchen, now being installed.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

Paint is still subjective on your site, to your lighting, any exposure to exterior and nature: )

• M. Juza
    13 days ago

Not sure what the Benjamin Moore equivalent is but I think that Sherwin Williams Drift of Mist would work really well in the space especially if you have it cut by 50%.

• mel p
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Here are some paint chips in different lighting:

• mel p
    Original Author
    13 days ago

@JAN MOYER Thank you for your input, I forgot to mention that the toilet and vanity would be on the left side of the room with the toilet next to shower. I will post the bathroom's previous layout which we will still be using. And I would place the vanity light horizontal over the medicine cabinet.

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

Consider: a white vanity to repeat the trim and toilet ...with a pale taupe wall paint to repeat the tile.

• mcarroll16
    13 days ago

Just weighing in on the vanity light--you should definitely have one. You need good lighting there. My preference would be for a frosted shade, to avoid glare, but I think the simple lines of your fixture are great for your space.

• mel p
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

@Andee Maria Killam's website is really helpful, thank you. Unfortunately the white is complicated e-book is no longer free. But she does have a ton of info, thank you!

@mcarroll16 The tiny bathroom already does have good lighting with 4 very bright can lights so bright that I'm asking for a dimmer switch put in. Attached is a photo of the lighting, taken at midnight. My husband said a vanity light is not necessary and would make the small space look cluttered, but I wonder if it will look like it's missing something because it doesn't look "complete" decor-wise.