Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_r78

living, dining, kitchen and front door in the middle

Kelly R
13 days ago

I purchased a new build with an open concept living, dining and kitchen. The hard part is the front door is in the middle of all of it (except it isn’t). The space is approximately 20ft wide (10 foot on the long side and 7ish feet on the other side of the door). I currently have a larger L shaped sectional. Where do I put that and our tv? How do I fit a dining space in here? I know there’s room at the island but when family comes over, there isn’t enough room for us all like a dining table would provide. Help!

Comments (23)

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    13 days ago

ETA: the door in the kitchen is the back door!

• Lyn Nielson
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

without a lot of thought, I would put the TV on the wall at the door (next to opening leading into other room) and face the sectional toward the TV.

a sofa table behind the short side of the sectional to add a table lamp ... the dining table against that interior wall near the kitchen (a gateleg style for occasional use would be even more efficient.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    13 days ago

I would put a rectangular table on long side of your island. Eating at that height is much better. Then you could still slide a stool on each end of the island for additional casual seating. Which side of the sectional has the chaise part as you look at the sectional from in front of it? Do you have measurements of walls , windows and doors or openings for the main seating area? Post those on a drawing in black ink. Inches and feet please. Then I can do scale layouts.

• happyleg
    13 days ago

Sounds like my house chairs by window Kenny cornered and table lamp

• happyleg
    13 days ago

Excuse my crazy phone it was supposed to say chairs in the corner and table and lamp by the door

• mcarroll16
    13 days ago

What is the room on the right side of this main room? Could that be your main living room, with the sectional and TV?

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    13 days ago

That’s the master!

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Flo, I’ve been looking at “building” an insert to become a banquette bench and then a table along the long side like you said.

I can provide dimensions soon! The house isn’t quite done so I haven’t been given the exact blue prints yet, only the rough measurements I took!

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    13 days ago

This is what I mean by banquette bench. I’d just want some way to keep the back from sliding under the counter.

• housegal200
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

That's a challenge for sure. Some thoughts:

--Float an expandable round table in the middle of the space. Or an oval shape to balance out the angles of the island and your sectional.

Updated Carriage House · More Info

--

Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

--Follow what Lyn says about sectional on one wall depending on its orientation and TV across from it. This photo isn't quite right, but imagine your front door where these windows are. It's not ideal since door opens directly into the room but this was probably designed by a contractor, not an architect. Have a really nice long sideboard under TV so there's a place to put down keys, mail, etc.

greenwich village loft living room · More Info

Make the TV attractive and functional with console/cabinet/etc. art etc. to upgrade the living space.

Pt. Pleasant Project · More Info

Also adding that if you create a dining space in the middle of the room, define it with a rug underneath the table and chairs (large enough to push the chairs back entirely on the rug). Define the living room space similarly.

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I have mediocre dimensions! The front door is at the bottom of the picture. Our sectional is a corner sectional. The short end/right arm is 7.5 feet long and left arm is right under 9 feet long. No chaise. The island is approximately 5(?) feet. I didn’t get that dimension last time I viewed progress!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    13 days ago

Ok. Island dimensions are key. If island is only 5’ long, it’s not sufficient for much seating. I use 24” width per stool. But I can see where you might be able to turn island and create space for more seating and an expandable table. That could work. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    13 days ago

Here is rough scale sketch. I need much more precise measurements to do you any favors! Print this sketch out and use the next time you see the house and post precise measurements for everything. Then I can do much better. I guessed the best I could from your pictures and what I know standard sizes are. The island is an odd size for the potential space so my “estimates” are probably off. Each square in my sketch is equal to one sq ft. Sorry this is so dark. Hopefully you can see it. I can try a better picture tomorrow with better light.

• Cara Fidler
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I would make the dining room in the room adjacent to the livingroom eventho it's at a distance from your kitchen. You have plenty of room in the livingroom to arrange your L shaped sofa. I would face it towards the center of the l.r. with the back of it facing the enclosed dining room area. Get some stools for the island. I didn't realize that the room off to the side is the Master bedroom. In that case I would place a nice table and chairs in front of the island as in the pics above. Put an area rug underneath it.

• elcieg
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Place the largest piece of furniture first is a good rule to follow. Right facing (5') goes under the left front window. Left facing piece runs along the longer wall. Add a rug, large enough for the front legs of sofa are on the rug. Coffee table, floor lamp and now you have a living "room". T v gets hung on the opposite wall, over (not on) a credenza (the top being used for entry area. This leaves you a walking path into the rest of the room..

If you haven't bought the t v yet, Samsung makes a framed one that has the faux art.

Buy the widest console you can because it will do double duty with the t v and making a nice entrance piece. No rug here.

Dining....I would replace the hard surface on the island. Really worth the effort to do it because now you have a dining area for six.

• housegal200
    12 days ago

Following are layouts showing dining table in the middle of space between kitchen island at one end and living room furniture at the other. Notice that furnishings are small scale, airy, up on legs so there aren't bulky pieces occupying too much visual space.

Fairfield Living · More Info

The Marshwood · More Info

Here's an layout where front door opens right into living room--sectional on one side, TV across the space.

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    12 days ago

Check the island overhang to make sure there are metal support plates under it. That looks like a good depth overhang but it will break if not properly supported. You seem to hav plenty of room from right side of island to the range. You could put a free standing butcher block on that end for additional prep space or a stainless rolling cart. Lots of good options here. Once I get more accurate measurements, I can help a lot with scale layouts. I would keep eating areas closest to the kitchen area too.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Over the years I've found sectionals really hard to place in most spaces. More conventional sofas, love seats and chairs provide more flexibility in laying out furniture. Any chance of ditching the sectional and opting for more conventional pieces?

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

I’m sure @Flo Mangan will figure out your furniture placement as soon as you can send exact measurements.

If a new dining table is in the cards, definitely consider round or oval first. There’s a ton of hard right angles here.

If you don’t already have a sectional, I agree with@Norwood Architects that a 3 seater is easier to work with.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    12 days ago

I too am in the anti-sectional camp. Almost always hard to work with.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    12 days ago

Kelly-I created this “inspirational” board to help you visualize many different island “enhancements” that might work in your new home. Ignore styles and just look at ideas. A clever table and banquette idea for long side of island, various free standing units that could possibly fit at end of island, possible small drink refrigerator on end. Enjoy. Getting your creative juices flo-ing!!

• Kelly R
    Original Author
    7 days ago

I’m back with dimensions!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 days ago

Great! This is what I need. I will work on this later today. 2 appointments I have to handle first. Thanks. These numbers really help.