Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anubhajairam

1 large chandelier or 2 medium?

Ninja Betic
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

I have an industrial/modern type reception room I need to get lighting for. The room is 14 ft high, approx 17x20 , with exposed ceiling in off black. According to the size of the room, my chandelier shd be (L+W in ft converted to inches) 38" but does this account for the high ceilings ?

Hall (also exposed ceiling) has clear globe pendants w black downrods. The front door is glass and the hallway is an important line of sight straight back. That is why i was thinking of doing two chandeliers in the areas of the front room "flanking" the hallway.

So do I put up TWO 20" chandeliers ....or look for one giant 38-40" one (expensive!)

Appreciate

your help!

Comments (46)

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

2 large, black ceiling fan type fixtures.

Ninja Betic thanked TanCalGal
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I think i have to go with one chandelier. The contractor misjudged the size of the ducts. They’re ridiculous. He wont fix them.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Would LOVE suggestions. In this room, I am not making it stark or industrial. Its got to catch my clients’ eyes when they walk by!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    12 days ago

If you need to catch people’s eyes, a giant chandelier would do the trick.

• Allison0704
    12 days ago

Search a site like Lamps Plus, then use the Google image search to find better price.

You don't say budget, but my first search found this one. It's one sale, and you'll get back 2% if you use Rakuten ad-on.

Ninja Betic thanked Allison0704
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks! I appreciate that tip! Every $ counts!!!

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I want something more “filled out” and catchy than a Sputnik. Also i lurrrv sputniks! I mayb have to go Glam (?)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    12 days ago

You could also check out local restores. You might find new and used huge chandeliers there for good prices.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    12 days ago

I think context is important here. What type of facility is this, who does it cater to and what vibe to you want to represent? Also, a photo of the space will help so we cam see whats already fixed there.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Its a medspa. Vibe is industrial modern but i dont want it too “stylized”. Thats why i wanted the glam chandelier—As long as it doesn’t totally clash with the ambience. I want it to feel warm and inviting and happy but also WOW.

• mcarroll16
    12 days ago

Sputnik, sort of, but glam and filled out. Not budget though. Kelly Wearstler Strada chandelier.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Maybe something dramatic like this one:

• Design Fan
    12 days ago

I love this Dahlia fixture by Hubbardton Forge that comes in a couple sizes and finishes:

• Boxerpal
    12 days ago

Oh something that really makes a bold statement while allowing a soft elegant glamours hallway. You may need to test a few out so you can see the shadows they create on the walls.

I am a huge fan of Katy Skelton of Savannah. She creates these elegant fixtures that speak for themselves.

Modern Minimalistic Glam Light

Linear Globe Island Chandelier | Eichholtz Largo · More Info

Gio Gold Plated Flush Mount Chandelier, Diameter 32" · More Info

Eurofase 31831-017 Mondo Linear Chandelier 15 Light · More Info

Sonneman 1788 Systema Staccato 28 Light 57"W LED Indoor Oversized - Satin Black · More Info

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Like that fourth one!

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Ok budget. I think i wd do up to 750 if i neeeeed to.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Got the Codyn lights in black for hallway. Wonder if the black downrods will even show up against the off-black painted exposed
    celing tho.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Hmmm if the bushy Sputnik and the fourth light had a baby together.. it wd be the perfect light.💡

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Got the Codyn lights in black for hallway. Wonder if the black downrods will even show up against the off-black painted exposed
    celing tho.

• mcarroll16
    12 days ago

That could be a dramatic effect though--downrods that are almost invisible, so you have "suspended" balls of light.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Yes but i paid extra for the …invisible…rods. Lol.

• nicole___
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The one Allison found with the globes is NICE too!

This 6 light globe is $82.70 on Ebay.

Product Size

122*44*143cm/48*17.32*56.29inch

or

Fang Yan Mei Modern ChandelierGold 12-Light Modern LED Chandelier

...$150 also on Ebay. Two of these and your still within budget.

I like it in black better $242...

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you for these! I like the linear ones. Wonder if the pipes above and the ducts too would look like too many lines everywhere …’ay look messy. Maybe if hanging low enough it may work.

Had no idea eBay had such fab chandeliers. Usually they take “12-32 weeks” to arrive.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

What abt this? Dont say its stellar. Sorry.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Here are some lics fm last week. Notice the huge ducts. I dont think they will allow for two chandeliers.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

Check out cable lighting in that space it would be fabulous and get the lighting at human height

Ninja Betic thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • nicole___
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Usually they take “12-32 weeks”

Your thinking of ordering from China. There are tons of sellers that have one left or an open box on Ebay. Tons of designer names or knock offs ...for pennies on the dollar. Or....Home Depot: $137.00 ....Home Depot Kable Lighting Click to see link

This is a GREAT idea Patricia had...BTW For such an industrial situation...needs more of the same.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I have not taken into account how many lumens the place actually needs-- can someone help? If this is the only light fixture how will that work ? I can create 3 areas (seating area, accent wall that is brick, and beverage area) w some track lighting too but I am not sure how.

In addition-- how the heck do i light up that 14 ft tall, 38 ft long, 4ft wide hallway with the same off black ceilings and charcoal floors? I don't think my single pendants will do it . Oh no!

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    10 days ago

The Sputniks look grt. I wish i cd get two and stagger them to make the fixture longer thus fuller. Has anyone done this?

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

be still my heart---

goliath (CLICK ON the name)

AND ITS ON SALE! ....... $5,768.40

• Toi Epazo
    10 days ago
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Oh man. I like that one too. But it is a bit “open”/ stark.. but inmay put this baby in my foyer at home! Love it.

• nicole___
    9 days ago

Sputnik...shipped from NJ: Click for link

• nicole___
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

So, in my husbands current project...he's using 2'x4' Troufer lights with a triangle shaped cover. He says they're supposed to mount to the walls/the ones he's using are a triangle shape...or be installed in ceiling grid/like the one shown...but he has them FREE hanging under the round heat ducts. Link to see similar. This client...isn't looking for a Pretty...stylish look....

Ninja Betic thanked nicole___
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Nicole that sounds interesting-- very industrial.. have any pics?

• nicole___
    9 days ago

Ninja...I was at his job the other day. I didn't take any pics. I thought the lights were pretty unimpressive. The walls were grey. The ceiling was black, like your photos..lots of round exposed ductwork...no glam.....it wasn't very impressive...very ordinary and practical looking. He may have pics....he ran an errand...I'll ask....

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Got it. Thanks. It may be too stark for me but is a grt idea!

• nicole___
    9 days ago

Linear tube lights are nice...but expensive. $849 each. Link to see pricing

Home Depot has cheap ones for $57 for a 4' one.....not as cool...

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    9 days ago

nicole that home depot tube light is a little too real-industrial for me :o

• nicole___
    9 days ago

Ninja....I know! You might find a knock off somewhere else...

DH's jobs generally have a BIG budget for accessories. Lights can really jazz a place up.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I am looking at the room and cant figure out how i would possible do multiple lighting areas. It is @18 ft wide. The ht is 14 ft …but the top 2ft is hogged up by the misplaced spiral ducts.

• PRO
    W86 Trading Co., LLC
    8 days ago

Are you considering using a rectangular chandelier? Modern minimalist style, with a wide coverage of lighting. This design is not only easy to clean but also the LED bulbs do not need to be replaced, very practical and energy-efficient. Such a chandelier will add a modern touch to your reception area and provide a comfortable and bright lighting atmosphere. Professional home lighting offers you more choices.

• mcarroll16
    8 days ago

Think again about Patricia's cable light suggestion. You can use cable lighting to provide even lighting across the whole space, and then accent chandelier and hallway pendants. Just like people do in a kitchen.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

I am still struggling...

opinions on this one pls? I am worried it may look ..messy due to the small fairy lights.

https://img5.su-cdn.com/cdn-cgi/image/width=500,height=500,format=webp/mall/file/2022/11/22/1ca8ebfea9fac1ae44ee8f10841f1378.jpg

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Also

1) I cannot find a wide large sputnik for a reasonable price

2) if walls are a cream color, will gold for chandelier get lost?