Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959906988

Updating Foyer in 1980’s Ranch

Trisha K
13 days ago

Looking for suggestions on how to update this foyer in a ranch. The owners of the home are older but want to update the space to look more current. Any specific pieces you can suggest?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

Matching tables or chests with matching mirrors above.

An upscale patterned rug for the entrance.

• Yvonne Martin
    13 days ago

First, the foyer is too cluttered. Clear out all the furniture and decor and re-evaluate. A foyer should serve as a welcoming spot plus a convenient place to deposit what doesn't need to be brought into the house. The table under the mirror could serve the deposit space, but the pile of shoes makes it hard to get to it. Besides, it is behind the door. If the people want to store shoes in the foyer, then they should select shoe storage which I suggest should be where the table is now. Next, the dresser should be decluttered to allow it to serve as a place to set things that aren't going into the rest of the house.

If the desire is to have so many plants in the foyer, they should be selected and potted with harmony in mind and grouped together.

A larger indoor-outdoor or easily cleaned rug in a color the complements the neighboring rooms would unify the foyer with the rest of the house.

I don't see a coat closet. Is a hall tree needed?

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I'd place the round mirror over the "bureau" + add a plant or two and a lamp. Remove the little table on the other side and just have a boot tray containing shoes. A bench or small wooden chair in front of the bureau facing the door, might look cute and be useful. Here's a boot tray: https://www.houzz.com/products/all-weather-boot-tray-water-resistant-plastic-mud-pan-pet-food-tray-shoe-mat-prvw-vr~198431431

• PRO
    AiFL
    12 days ago

I think better organization would be enough of an update…with shoes on the floor and stuff piled on surfaces…what they have probably just needs a good clean out and rethinking of what items need to actually live in those spots and what has just gotten dumped there and never left.

• Cara Fidler
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I would get rid of the shoes at the foot of the table. I would add some pop with color and paint the frame of the mirror and the little table underneath it and consider painting the piece of furniture opposite it that color too. I would declutter as much as possible from the furniture you have in the foyer. I like the round mirror and the plants. Maybe add some plants to the top of the large piece of furniture if you don't want to paint it.

• Cara Fidler
    12 days ago

I would also consider painting your front doors a color with some pop or maybe just white as that brown is depressing.

• Maureen
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I’d consider functionality as well in the update. On the left, just edit. An attractive rug (if practical for them) will add interest and some needed color.

On the right, the indent is a perfect spot for a bench and shoe needs and add art to complement rug.

The gold framed picture on left might need a different frame or replaced to better suit the updates.

• PRO
    lisedv
    12 days ago

A narrow console on the left (space seems small behind the open door) at a proper height with a lamp and mirror above and a bench providing seating when needed to put on or take off shoes. Wicker basket can be used to store the shoes so they're not scattered on the floor.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    12 days ago

or

Modern Farmhouse · More Info