Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_320223810

Kitchen backsplash ideas - for white cabinets and dark countertop

HU-320223810
last month
last modified: last month

This kitchen has super bright white cabinets and outdated busy granite.

The floors are marble looking porcelain.

Planning to update backsplash, to bring some freshness. Not sure what kind of backsplash will look good with white cabinets and dark granite.

Any suggestions for backsplash, cabinet hardware and sink??

Any suggestions for backsplash, cabinet hardware and sink??

Comments (25)

• herbflavor
    last month

the granite counter and floor really are pretty nicely paired. .Have to ask were the cabinets recently painted ? Is the intention to leave the cabinets like that?

just depends on what you want to do.....

Pietra White Neo Wide 8MM Arabesque Backsplash Wall Tile, 4"x4", Sample · More Info

Cloe 2.5"x8" Artisan Ceramic Subway Tile, Pink · More Info

Cloe 2.5"x8" Artisan Ceramic Subway Tile, White · More Info

Blanco 442531 Precis 30"x18" Granite Single Bowl Kitchen Sink, Truffle · More Info

Amerock Blackrock Round Cabinet Knob, Golden Champagne, 1-5/16"/33 Mm Diameter · More Info

Kraus KPF-1690 Britt Pull-Down Spray Kitchen Faucet - Brushed Gold · More Info

HU-320223810 thanked herbflavor
  • HU-320223810
    Original Author
    last month

yes, the cabinets looks like were recently painted by previous owner. I wish they hadn't as i dont like the white. And yes, as the paint on cabinets is new and don't want to change it for now.

• HU-320223810
    Original Author
    last month

Cloe 2.5"x8" Artisan Ceramic Subway Tile, White · - looks good.

question will it look ok with white cabinets or will that blend in ?

• herbflavor
    last month

pick a shape if all you want is white...the arabesque is an unusual shaped one...I like it....but I'd go with the pink/coral below and get the brushed gold hardware etc..... I'd be slightly daring because the all white needs something to alleviate the boredom . In a way..you could leave the backsplash alone and do a new sink /faucet /hardware. I'd be thinking of changing something about those all white cabinet fronts ..... whether refacing the lowers...or painting everything or I dont know. A quickie paint job in clinical white to get the place sold. oh well. And they are older cabinets so you have to think of that when you start pouring more money into this. Be sure and wait a little bit/ price things out and think of the future of this kitchen in terms of what you are working with .

heres my pick if you want white... choose a shape....but more white??????

Pietra White Neo Wide 8MM Arabesque Backsplash Wall Tile, 4"x4", Sample · More Info

HU-320223810 thanked herbflavor
  • deegw
    last month

Be careful with the whites. A slightly creamy white next to your bright white cabinets will look dingy and "off". It would be better to get a tile with blend of whites that will help visually tie together the warmth of the counters and floors with the coolness of the cabinets.

The cloe tile mentioned above looks like it might work. You will need to bring samples home and look at them next to your counters and cabinets with your lighting.

Hamdmade style tiles also have slight color varations that should be able to work with your counters and your cabinet colors.

• Boxerpal
    last month

The white is very bright almost too bright for that Antique Brown Granite or maybe that is Deer Brown Granite. maybe you can find the right backsplash combining colors from the counter and the white. I agree that the current backsplash is not working with the space.

Maybe adding some color from tbe granite into the backsplash like this one

Glynmoor Lakes Kitchen · More Info

Fleur de Lys Backsplash · More Info

Harmonia Kings Marrakech Blue Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

Bourges Ceramic Wall Tile, Arco, Sample · More Info

Calabash Red 6x6 Mosaic · More Info

Glynmoor Lakes Kitchen · More Info

HU-320223810 thanked Boxerpal
  • HU-320223810
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Boxerpal - some color from granite sounds good

And yes I agree with herbflavor , these are older cabinets, so dont want to pour too much money. Now am thinking may be keep same backsplash and add some color to cabinets like Tony Taupe or something little off color

May be I should just leave it like that add cabinet hardware and later years down the road work on whole kitchen remodel.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

It's time for a change of counter tops, if you like the layout of the kitchen.

If what you really want is an entirely new kitchen? Leave it alone until then. Where the heck is the fridge??

HU-320223810 thanked JAN MOYER
  • rebunky
    last month

Jan, I am guessing that the fridge is supposed to go in that empty space to the right of the cooktop???

The island countertop has me completely baffled. The countertop to the left of the sink faucet looks to be normal countertop height. To the right of the faucet looks raised up to a bar height. Yet it somehow morphs together? It must be a weird optical illusion.

If you just bought this home, my advice would be to live with it as is for a little while until you determine if you want to replace the cabinets and fix the layout.

Those cabinets are the whitest neon white I have ever seen, so I am sure that is the real estate photo which has been digitally enhanced. Can you post some new photos of the kitchen taken in normal lighting? Maybe it is not as bright in real life? Seeing more photos of the kitchen from different angles would help us give better advice as well.

HU-320223810 thanked rebunky
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

No amount of backsplash or hardware is going to fix that space. ......would it be that it could.

HU-320223810 thanked JAN MOYER
  • HU-320223810
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all. May be better to wait out and start over.

The fridge goes in open space.

I will get some pictures and yes, its not this bright white in real, but still doesn't look good.

Cabinets and granite are maintained well and good condition for 24 year old house, so I was thinking to fix something to make it look better for at-least couple of years. And then start over.

• eam44
    last month

Oh golly, if you are going to have to live with that for a while, consider painting your tile. It’s the wrong thing to do in almost every case, except this one - you shouldn’t have to look at that every day. There’s a how-to video that will give you information on how it is done below. Resist the urge to paint it white, go for a light grey that pairs well with the counter and floor tile. Good luck!

• eam44
    last month

There would be no color variation in the ”after” and the grout would be painted as well, but the image below gives you an idea of the visual relief you can achieve by painting the backsplash.

HU-320223810 thanked eam44
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

I don't think the tone of the current splash is horrible - I don't like the shape, the grout lines and the red band. The thing that really bothers me more is the wall paint.

Maybe something like this? ( not really ablout green, just about contrast )

Good luck - don't spend too much so you can save for when you do remodel.

HU-320223810 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • HU-320223810
    Original Author
    last month

Thank Debbi and Eam44 for the picutres, looks like painting grout will give some better look.

Here is the pic I took

• RedRyder
    last month

I wouldn’t do anything for a year. Save photos of what you would want and roam kitchen showrooms. I would figure out if the countertop/backsplash change idea will suffice, or you really want something else.

Painting the backsplash - for now - could help the visual impact of the bright white but so would some new dark brass hardware.

Don’t spend any money until you’re sure. Usually it takes a year or more to “know” your new house.

HU-320223810 thanked RedRyder
  • rebunky
    last month

Oh yes, the actual color of the white on the cabinets is much better then the enhanced photo!

I love the idea of painting the backsplash for now. I would add some cheap Oil Rubbed Bronze cabinet hardware and call it a day.

Here is a mockup. I just ”grabbed” a taupey color from your floor to give you an idea. I could live with this until I had enough money saved up for a complete kitchen redo.

Congrats on your home purchase btw!

• eam44
    last month

Oh, not just the grout, I’m recommending you have the tile painted. The grout will be painted the same color. It’s a temporary fix, but inexpensive and worth it not to have to look at it as is. Unless you like it as is. Best of luck.

• Iluvdark kychns
    last month

I did this with a bathroom once. It was a huge improvement for very low price (hired someone qualified to do it) and it bought me some time (and saved me from having to look at it every day).

• HU-320223810
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you all. Did the off-white subway tile.

And i like it lot better now, the cabinets and backsplash seems to blend in with dated granite better now

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

Photos?

• rebunky
    15 days ago

Awesome! I am so glad you like it better. I am sure it looks great. Please share photos!

• HU-320223810
    Original Author
    11 days ago

sure, will share once work is complete

• HU-320223810
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner