Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stan37546

KItchenAid Mixer Storage in Corner Base Cabinet

Stan B
8 years ago

I would like to store my KitchenAid mixer in a 3636 corner base cabinet. We have a U shaped kitchen so there are two corners. We do not want to store it on the counter and would prefer to use our limited pantry space for items we use more frequently plus we prefer an uncluttered look. Lifting and moving the mixer is not a problem. Any ideas on how to store a KitchenAid mixer in a corner cabinet? Many of the movable contraptions such as the LeMans/kidney or Magic Shelf don't offer enough vertical clearance and seem suited for lighter weight items.

Comments (19)

• practigal
    8 years ago

I think you custom something or you lose all the cabinet space. It weighs too much for any moveable top shelf. I would try to find another smaller lower cabinet and get the extra storage out of the corner. Have you tried kornerking.com?

Stan B thanked practigal
  • Stan B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I managed to find this. It looks like the mixer could be slid in on the left side (if the two staggered shelves were placed and sized just right).

• practigal
    8 years ago

Yeah..., but nothing is convenient in that you have to bend over or squat down to reach in and pull out anything at the back. The purpose of any corner cabinet system is to prevent that. But that may work perfectly for your needs.

Stan B thanked practigal
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

I also vote for a KornerKing. You can order the type that'll allow for a tall appliance to be stored.

However, I personally would store it on the counter. I know you say lifting it isn't a problem, but it is an awfully heavy item.

Stan B thanked mrspete
  • Stan B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I've looked at the KornerKing before but had forgotten about it. We are about to put a KD on contract so will see what she suggests. Worst case I suppose I leave it on the bottom shelf of the pantry. The pantry is going to be about 27" wide so may omit a rollout on the bottom shelf.

I've had the KitchenAid for 25 years and hope to have it another 50 years, but to be honest with just two people eating in moderation its not an appliance we use more than a few times per year. It was a lot of fun when I used to make carrot cake, cheesecake, or cookies once or twice per month for ourselves and co-workers but for us those are fond memories in the past. Thus no practical reason to keep it out on the counter; the Keurig which we use daily has taken its place.

• wilson853
    8 years ago

Here's two pics that seem to support the mixer on a Magic Corner. It's not a 3636 solution, but thought I'd throw it out there. In my old kitchen, I stored the mixer in a narrow tall base cabinet (no drawer) that had only one movable shelf. I stored my toaster on the top shelf as it was easy to open the door and pull it up to the counter. The mixer was stored on the bottom and I was easily able to lift it up onto the counter when I needed it.

Magic Corner Storage Hardware · More Info

Kitchen & Breakfast Room · More Info

Stan B thanked wilson853
  • Stan B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I just went to the Hafele website and looked at the install specs for the Magic Corner 2. The 2 inner shelves can support 17 pounds each and the 2 outer shelves can support 22 pounds each. My mixer is the K5SS model (fixed neck with the bowl that raises and lowers) which weighs in at 25.5 pounds which seems a little out of spec.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

I keep mine on the bottom shelf in the walk in pantry. Like you, I just don't use it that often. There is always the old appliance garage in the corner was useful.

Stan B thanked homechef59
  • Swedepie
    8 years ago

I was hoping to store my KitchenAid in a corner shelf also, but our KD said the shelves in our corner base cabinet would not support it. I have settled for a pull-out shelf specifically rated for a higher weight with a support in the middle of the cabinet opening so one side is for the higher weight and one side is for the standard weight. (I'm sorry, but I can't remember exactly how much weight each side will hold.)

Stan B thanked Swedepie
  • beachem
    8 years ago

How about a corner garage on the counter. Just put in a pullout shelf there and pull out to use. Close the door when you don't need it.

Stan B thanked beachem
  • wilson853
    8 years ago

I have seen a mixer stored in a deep drawer with two shallow drawers above. Maybe a set of corner drawers with the mixer stored in the deepest bottom drawer would work, which would also give you the 3636 configuration.

Stan B thanked wilson853
  • Stan B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My mom had her mixer on a raisable stand like this in her 1969 custom built house. We used it regularly as kids and definitely made cooking fun. Never had any problems with it (no pinched fingers or mixer falling off although we were cautioned about both frequently).

If I had another 6 feet of counter space available in my current kitchen I'd definitely allocate 2 feet of it for this -- but I don't. We don't have a trash pullout so that's a high priority addition as we are tired of bumping into the trash can. The more I think about it the more it seems like a heavy weight pullout at the bottom of the pantry makes the most sense. That way it will be out of the way most of the time but accessible when needed.

• practigal
    8 years ago

How big is the pantry? Maybe a heavy weight pop-up right there is perfect given your infrequent needs.

• Stan B
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks nancyjwb. I do like that solution and it seems like a good use of what looks to be a 15" base cabinet that's a little too narrow for many items. I also like the lower drawer for extra mixing paddles plus baking accessories like cookie cutters. Our pantry is a tall cabinet about 27" wide and 24" deep. I think we could do something very similar to this photo although it would be full width with the food processor and blender on the same pullout rather than dedicated to the mixer.

• yeonassky
    8 years ago

This one is just on a shelf with drawers below from pinterest

Stan B thanked yeonassky
  • PRO
    ETCH Design
    14 days ago

I am a designer and working on this for a client. I see that Wilson853 posted the image of the mixer on a magic corner II. All research that I've done says that the mixers are between 18-35 lbs. depending on which you have. Another person mentioned that there is a 17 lb. weight limit per shelf but I can't find that anywhere on their website. Does anyone have that information in digital or print? Thanks for your help.

• wilson853
    14 days ago

https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product/magic-corner-ii-for-blind-corner-cabinets/P-00856486/

Load bearing capacity at front

10.00 kg

Load bearing capacity at rear

8.00 kg

• artemis78
    14 days ago

We have the Magic Corner II and can also confirm that the larger KA mixers do not fit heightwise unless you take the top shelf out (which would waste a lot of storage space). I think I measured and determined that the smallest one would fit on the highest shelf setting/meet the weight limit but it didn’t work for our baking needs. We keep the mixer on the counter and put other appliances in the corner.