Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
degeorge

Backsplash suggestions for Taj Mahal Quartzite

degeorge
last year

I’m looking for a backsplash tile that goes well with Taj Mahal quartzite countertops for a kitchen with Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee white cabinets and a narrow warm brown stained island and Garrison Du Bois European Oak hardwood floors. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments (31)

• jaja06
    last year

Sounds like some beautiful choices! Are any of those things installed yet? It is best to get everything installed (cabinets, counters, flooring, LIGHTING) before trying to choose a backsplash. If those are done, post some pictures for better help!

• degeorge
    Original Author
    last year

No, they are not installed yet. Thank you for your advice, I love the idea of waiting until it’s installed.

• la_la Girl
    last year

^^ yes wait to choose especially if you working from a Taj sample and not your actual slabs

• degeorge
    Original Author
    last year

@jaja06 @la_la Girl - thank you for your suggestion and quick response. As soon as they are installed, I’ll send another message. Have a fabulous day.

• chispa
    last year

I used a marble mosaic from Jeffrey Court with my Taj Mahal and BM Chantilly Lace cabinets. You can search on Houzz photos for "Taj Mahal with white cabinets" and will get hundreds of photos to look at.

The white marble is honed and the brown marble is polished. I have large windows in my kitchen and was getting too much glare when I tested glossy tiles with my polished TM counters, so I chose a honed tile.

• Barbara Almandarz
    last year

As beautiful as these epictures klook, depending how much backsplash you'll have, be careful about the movement in your counters fighting with alot of backsplash movement. It can quickly look bad. Consider the big picture.

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

It really depends on the actual Taj Mahal slabs, some can look stripey and others have a soft swirly monochromatic pattern that just looks like a plain beige counter from across the room. Pattern matching is also something that is very taste specific and not necessarily bad.

For some tastes, TM can only be paired with a plain subway, but for others the way to go is to add some pattern. Neither is bad, just different tastes.

Plain subway:

Kitchen & Dining Remodel - Charlotte Southpark · More Info

Double Green, The Woodlands TX · More Info

Pattern with Tabarka tile:

Callinan Spanish Remodel · More Info

Ann Sacks tile (very expensive!)

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

Also Tabarka tile

Davidson Renovation · More Info

• stiley
    last year

We used a combination of slab and the Makoto tile from Bedrosians. You'll want to get samples because different shades looked better with different Taj slabs while I was shopping. I liked this tile because it has color variations while still being monochromatic.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

OP: what do u want to stand out? if the counter, than a quiet B/S. if the B/S, then a loud/busy B/S. it really depends on the overall look you are going for.

post pics when cabs/floor/painted walls/counters installed. then we will be able to give more input.

Your choices so far are so pretty. IMO, i would do a quiet B/S and let that counter shine!! you can always spice things up with your accessories: towels, rugs, art, pottery, bowls of fruit etc...

• anna_682
    last year

I would use a Taj Mahal slab backsplash. We have a marble slab backsplash and I love it.

• degeorge
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, you all have given me such great ideas. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

• degeorge
    Original Author
    last year

@chispa thank you for sharing your beautiful the kitchen. I really like tile selection.

• degeorge
    Original Author
    last year

@stiley your kitchen is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• CalRachel
    last year

With our Taj Mahal, we used Emser Tile Omni Picket. I understand our cabinets are different than yours, however.

• chloebud
    last year

“…be careful about the movement in your counters fighting with alot of backsplash movement.”

Good advice!

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Love that Ann Sacks tile above.

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Mrs Pete, it is a great tile, but I made sure to mention it was expensive, because it isn't just expensive, it is really expensive ... before someone else falls in love with it! I priced it out last year and it was around $180/sq.ft. I also saw a large grouted board in person and was surprised at how glossy it was. All the photos I had seen made me think it was more of a matte finish.

Close up of Ann Sacks Nottingham Honeycomb in Veil. The photo doesn't show how glossy it really is.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Wowser, that's some expensive tile!

• dan1888
    last year

Another vote for slab. If you want to consider that take time with the layout of your slabs and get enough at one time for the whole job. Layout between the counter and the backsplash slab is important.

• coray
    last year

Our cabinets are BM Chantilly Lace (along with some in BM Kid Gloves), and we used Clé’s Zellige in Weathered White. However: I think our slabs are much lighter and creamier than yours, and with the color variations of Zellige you never know exactly what you’re getting; some tiles are whiter, some grayer, some creamier. (I think there are also more beigey/gray options.) If your TM has a lot of movement it will be best to stay away from patterned tile. Good luck!

• Catherine Pakosta
    last year

chispa will you share a photo of your counter and backsplash?

• degeorge
    Original Author
    5 months ago

A big thank you to everyone for all your suggestions and helping me remodel my kitchen. It’s done and I’m thrilled.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Very pretty! Enjoy your new kitchen.

• Catherine Pakosta
    5 months ago

Beautiful! What tile did you end up using above Taj ?

• chispa
    5 months ago

Looks like they used arabesque mosaic from Encore Ceramics above the bar area and TM slab above the range area. My guess from all my previous tile research! lol

• a_alinuta
    last month

Thank you yea it is

• Nina Patz
    14 days ago

@degeorge What cabinets did you use in your kitchen? The choices you made are stunning. Hope you're happy with how the kitchen turned out.

• degeorge
    Original Author
    14 days ago

thank you so much! I went with White shaker, however, there was a slight angle on the inside frame. I used Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee. The cabinets were custom made by an older Italian man who is 79 years old, Marty. this gentleman spent four years on all the crown molding, baseboards, and cabinets at the San Francisco City Hall. He moved out of town to be near his grandchildren and was getting bored so we started doing kitchen cabinets.

• Nina Patz
    14 days ago

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing!