sania_ali6

Foundation house plan

Sania Ali
15 days ago

Is this foundation plan ok to apply for a permit - 4,000 sqft house

Comments (16)

• millworkman
    15 days ago

I would think the building dept would require elevations, site plan, roof plan, electrical, plumbing, etc., etc.. But you need to check with your local building dept as they are the only ones to answer exactly. The builder will need considerably more as well.

• PRO
    Zumi
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Not even close. That is amateur stick figure drawing compared to what is needed.And since you cannot afford appropriate design and engineering, or even framing lumber, best to move on out of the fantasy world of you building. Buy an existing small house and build equity there.

• worthy
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Depending on the jurisdiction, you may also need footing plans, stamped structural engineer's design and specs, a grading plan by a surveyor, complete topographical and boundary

Ah, for the good ole days when paperwork was de minimis

surveys, an arborist's evaluation and tree protection plan and approved fencing/protection, re-zoning and variance approvals, HOA approvals. And, of course, complete building plans as mentioned above.

• millworkman
    15 days ago

" there's a reasonable amount of data there that may, in fact, be perfectly acceptable to many jurisdictions for a foundation plan. "

I completely agree with you just_janni with the assumptions and the talking down to people. It is completely asinine and unnecessary. Gets quite old as well in my opinion.

I think the OP is looking for a building permit for the whole house however (especially since he also posted floor plans), not just the foundation. In fact I do not think any jurisdiction would even issue a foundation permit only.

• just_janni
    15 days ago

^^^ I read it as asking if the foundation plan was acceptable to be submitted as the required part of the permit package. (and there appear to be other plans snipped there too - like roof, etc)

So no - it's not "complete" but it's likely acceptable to fulfill the foundation plan requirement in the permit SET.

• millworkman
    15 days ago

I read it as he wanted to know if he could apply for the building permit with that foundation plan. I think were are both on the same page, just interpreting the question a bit differently.

• PRO
    Zumi
    15 days ago

You missed the post about wanting to find some way to finance the lumber package? Plus the others. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6432796/framing-house-lumber

• just_janni
    14 days ago

Some people are just frugal, and explore a bunch of alternatives.

Regardless, the hostility seemed to have clouded the issue at hand about the adequateness of the fundation drawings.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    14 days ago

Your accurate answer will come from the building inspector. Ask your building inspector.

• res2architect
    14 days ago

It should be obvious that a foundation plan is not sufficient for a building permit application. And the plan taken by itself appears to be incomplete. Is there no engineer involved?

• Sania Ali
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I was only asking about the foundation plan , if its ok ?? Since this was made by a draftsman . Thank you all for the suggestions.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

The foundation plan is connected to the first floor plan;

The first floor plan is connected to the second floor plan;

The second floor plan is connected to the north elevation;

The north elevation is connected to the east elevation;

The east elevation is connected to the south elevation;

The south elevation is connected to the roof plan;

Oh, hear the word of the building inspector!

(Reference to "Dem Dry Bones" song by James Weldon Johnson and his brother J. Rosamond Johnson)

• T T
    14 days ago

Our builder had an independent structural engineer review our full set of plans. I would highly recommend getting a structural engineer to review, especially if a draftsman drew the plans and you are a bit concerned about whether it's sufficient. Having an engineer on hand was helpful as he ended up having to design some adjustments for us mid build due to some other changes. I felt better having an engineer sign off on the changes even though it wasn't required.

Sania Ali thanked T T
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    13 days ago

This is concerning:

• Monique
    12 days ago

Everything about this project is worrisome. No professionals appear to be involved. This location noted for it’s high regulations, high costs, and stringent inspections. That usually means hiring the best professionals that can be afforded to shepherd the project along smoothly. Instead we have DIY designing, and trying to finance things that should be cash, or part of a construction loan that a bank has vetted for viability.