Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Refrigerator Water Filters

chisue
15 days ago

Will I really get better-tasting/healthier water by using a water filter in my two-year-old GE Monogram side by side? Are all the MWF cartridges pretty much the same? There's quite a range in pricing. We have good city water, and I haven't used a fridge filter most of the time in the past twenty years here. Worth trying? Anything I should look for or avoid?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• kelli_ga
    14 days ago

You could buy a Brita pitcher just to see if you like filtered water better. I drink a lot more water since I started filtering it. Our city tap water is OK but sometimes they put too much chlorine in it. (It’s a small city with a small water tower.) I filter shower water too, because the tap water was making my hair sticky after I washed it.

I use tap water for making ice, lemonade, tea and nespresso, but I drink filtered water plain and my regular coffee maker told me to use filtered water. So it’s nice to have it around.

I don’t pipe water into the refrigerator. When I did, the icemaker ice got old and developed a stale taste. And I’m squeamish about water in appliances that I can’t clean thoroughly or may leak. I don’t know how the newer refrigerators maintain clean water though - I know everyone has them, but I pass on the water connections.

• T T
    14 days ago

I think the water definitely tastes better when filtered. There should only me one model of filter that fits your refrigerator. Most likely RPWFE. The cost is high but they last pretty long.

• T T
    14 days ago

@Stax, the RPWF model was discontinued and has been replaced by the RPWFE. I only use genuine GE filters as many of the aftermarket brands don't filter equivalently. Maybe there's a good aftermarket option now but I haven't bothered to look lately and just stick to the GE RPWFE, which works well.

• T T
    13 days ago

@Stax I would love to be proven wrong. Can you send me the link to the product you use that has comparable filtration specs? I looked up tier 1 RPWF and they are just a carbon filter that doesn't filter lead, pharmaceuticals, etc. The list of what it filters is miniscule compared to the RPWFE. Again, please share a link and price me wrong so I can save some money.

GE RPWFE specs list shows all certifications and what is filters: https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-RPWFE-REFRIGERATOR-WATER-FILTER-RPWFE

• chisue
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks for your replies.

The GE Monogram has a filter port inside the body of the fridge. I don't see a choice of filtration levels for the short, fat cylinder that fits that port (MWF).

The long, thin filter TT likes would only work for me if installed directly into the water feeder line.

This probably answers my original question. It looks like the minimal filtration from an MWF isn't worth much. If I want to eliminate serious contaminants (like lead), I would need to install something on the water feeder line.

Now that I think of it, that's the kind of (non-GE) filter we had on a fridge in Hawaii.

So...am I correct in thinking that the MWF type filters don't do much? They're a 'feel good' sop.. and semi-annual profit-maker for GE?

• T T
    11 days ago

@chisue the GE MWF filter does filter lead and other contaminants according to the specs here:

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/spec/MWFP

@Stax some city water sources will have minimal amounts of lead and other contaminants in them. They are below EPA limits but i don't mind paying extra to reduce those levels and get better rating water. Your tier1 filter is essentially like a Brita or Pur water filter and is not even close to what the GE filter does. So it's competely offbase to claim that a generic $15 filter is the same as the $50 GE filter. Sure, maybe the GE filter is a bit overpriced, but I would bet that even if another company could make a comparable filter, it would cost at least $40.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Thank you, TT. I'd like to be able to compare the filtration of the GE MWF with in-line filters, whatever the maker.

I also wonder how vigilant people are about replacing filters. Couldn't you end up with an even bigger problem if you continue to push water through a filter that's full of contaminants?

• T T
    9 days ago

Most refrigerators have a reminder to change the filter, but maybe not all do. If you don't change the filter, I suspect that you just end up with unfiltered water. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think that an old filter would start releasing previously captured contaminants back into the water. Good luck.