Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg_f47

Linen closet near hallway bathroom

Meg Oliver
14 days ago

Trying to determine if we should keep the door where it is as proposed by our architect or move it so that the linen closet is behind the door and incorporated more so as part of the bathroom. Pros? Cons?

Comments (7)

• jackowskib
    14 days ago

That looks to be a good size linen closet. I suppose if all you want to keep in it is primarily the bathroom supplies then I would incorporate it with the bathroom. Keeping it separate likely gives you options to store other common household items there for easy access. I would be inclined to incorporate it. I've never seen such a set up anyway.

• Karenseb
    14 days ago

Keeping it as shown allows you to put a light switch on the left wall for a recessed light in front of the linen closet and then a light switch in the bathroom on the right next to the vanity.

• kandrewspa
    14 days ago

It's cheaper to buy doors for a closet than a cabinet to go with your vanity. jackowskib's comment is valid - if it's solely for the bathroom, then incorporate into the bathroom. But if it's going to contain sheets and blankets for all the bedrooms it's fine the way it is. I had a linen closet about this size in my previous house and everyone who visited was jealous. If you're like me and you have too many sets of sheets it's invaluable. Not everyone has one.

• k8cd
    14 days ago

What will be stored there?
    If it is all bathroom supplies, I would incorporate it.
    If it will also hold sheets/blankets, I would leave it as is.
    If it were my house (which has very limited storage) I would leave it as it because it’s more versatile. It can hold towels or toiletries, if needed, but it could be used for bed linens, wrapping or craft supplies, etc.

• Meg Oliver
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks all! Super valid points. Especially on the light fixture. I love an excuse to have another cool light. And yes, it will store other things beyond bathroom “stuff”, like linens etc.

• dani_m08
    14 days ago

I have a large linen closet at then end of my upstairs hallway - while I do store towels + other bathroom supplies, it also is used to store my MANY linen duvet sets + cotton sheet sets + extra euro shams + coverlets + etc. My daughters have told me that I need to go to find a ”beddingaholics” group to join!

I’m happy that it’s separate from my bathrooms + I like having a recessed light above it so I can see everything better. Otherwise, it would be difficult to tell my melange charcoal linen duvet set from my melange indigo gray duvet set! 😂

• Meg Oliver
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Haha I love that! I’ve just started to super get into holiday and seasonal bedding sets so I completely could see myself going this route 🤣🤣 thanks much!