Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thurling

Real wood floor vs. ceramic wood-look tiles?

thurling
11 years ago
I would love to have real wood floors, but I have a few concerns. I want dark walnut but am very concerned about my 90 lbs dog scratching it. I am a particular person and the scratches will drive me crazy. I also live in a subtropical humid climate on the water with lots of storefront-size windows with a ton of sun exposure. I really don't like things that look "fake" and usually would not even consider ceramic tile. But now I am considering ceramic wood-look tile planks because my concerns with scratches. Any thoughts or experience with this? Any suggestions for brands or stores? I have attached two pictures. The first is an example of a ceramic wood-look floor I saw as a display in a store. (I am not sure about the lighter areas on it, but do like it). The other is a picture of a custom real wood walnut floor sample that I had made. I love it, but it definitely shows scratches. Thank you for your replies!

Comments (138)

• Glennette Haynes
    10 years ago
    @poulos8, with all the new engineering techniques and concerns of durability, in my professional opinion, I think this is NOT a trend. The industry is changing with lightening speed and with the insurance companies increasing rates in weather vulnerable areas the floor industry has to keep up with the concerns of the buyers and investors. When you visit the flooring company this week let the experts know your concerns and ask to see samples of the "wood" tile, I assure you you will not be disappointed.
  • Glennette Haynes
    10 years ago
    woodjay, I do not think you will be happy with vinyl. Visit your local flooring company and ask them to show you samples, the collections are growing and the warmth and character of wood is being captured. If you want physical warmth I would suggest you invest in radiant heating. It can be a bit pricey but well worth the investment. Good luck and keep us all posted!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    NO to wood with large dogs.... I thought I wanted it also, but with an 80# Ridgie, we went with high end laminate.... it has been wonderful ( about six months, so far). They run upstairs and slide and play...no scratches or mars.. The wood-look ceramic is OK. woodjay; I live on a horse farm myself... I won't even put vinyl in my apartment in the barn... a durable floor that looks great pays off in the longrun.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings...
    Beware the wayward ice cube that occasionally escapes the icemaker and melts.
    Friend of a friend asked me for advice on how to "fix" the result in her "high end laminate". (certainly NOT supplied by us!).
    Similar situation in the Master Bedroom where the cat had a "mishap"
  • dreamindecor
    9 years ago
    I am considering engineered wood versus wood-look tile for my living/dining rooms and an office. The kids are grown and gone, but now I'm beginning to get grandkids and THEIR dogs - currently a 100 pound lab. I go back and forth between wood and wood look tile. These rooms are not terribly high traffic and some of the floor would be protected with area rugs. My concern mostly with the wood-look tile is scratches, the size of the grout lines and having too many repeat patterns. I've seen plenty of the wood-look tile that is obviously tile due to these issues. Thoughts? And any thoughts on the most realistic wood-look tile out there? With various widths/lengths?
  • PRO
    The Treasured Home
    9 years ago
    We are restoring an old home at Lake Tahoe and plan to rent the place. The thought of renters leaving their ski boots and wet towels on wood floor, is a worry. I love the porcelain wood tiles and want to use them but what about using them in a cold winter area like this? Does anyone know how much harder it will be to keep comfortable? We'll have area rugs, but just want to make the right long term choice. Thanks!!
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @The Treasured Home...
    As mentioned much earlier in the thread... I'm a bit biased.
    That said (again)... the issues with porcelain, which is basically a "picture" of wood imbedded on porcelain remain the same... reparability, ease of obtaining replacement (if needed down the line), the reality that if anything fragile hits it... say goodbye to it (& be prepared to deal with the chips that result), trying to find one that's not "slicker than snot", and the list goes on.

And don't be "sold" by photos or showroom samples...
    Make sure you have your ducks in a row as far as what you WANT & what you'll actually receive.

re: the temperature... depending on your budget, as mentioned by others, a radiant heat system works well under the porcelain... as well as under engineered hardwood.
    We send a lot of flooring to the Tahoe Region... and now that radiant heat has become so efficient and affordable... it's a great option regardless of which direction you take.

The only additional consideration I'd mention (which is NEVER addressed) is the fact that porcelain tile is extremely HEAVY... so that's something to look into if you're "retro fitting" an older structure which has raised foundation/wood subfloors.
    New construction will usually accommodate the load if it's planned for.
    Obviously, using "wannabe wood" over concrete isn't an issue.

In it's defense... hardwood flooring is still a VERY viable option when the proper specie, finish style & system, as well as a few other details are considered.
  • Glennette Haynes
    9 years ago
    Well, just as you have snow and all that goes along with cold weather, coastal Floridians have the other problem of water and sand when dealing with renters. I think you are going in the right direction with tile but as with anything, you have to do your homework.
    I also believe there nothing like the real deal hardwood but who wants that headache especially with your rental situation.
    Before laying your tile consult with an expert and it's always far better to pay on the front end as opposed to the back end, hire a professional. Make sure your tile installer is experienced and knowledgeable of how the weather in your area effects tile. Pick a tile that has a group III rating, this is good for any area of the home and is used for moderate to heavy traffic areas. To prevent cracks and chips make sure you sub-floor is firm and even. Have the installer use the proper mortar, sealant, and grout for cold temps, if possible do not install tile in harsh conditions or temperature under 50 degrees, unless proper measures are taken to keep the area at a comfortable temperature. Last,
    remember to seal the tile grout because it can be quite difficult to clean if left unsealed. Wishing you luck and I hope this helps some.
  • amyhirsch
    9 years ago
    Our biggest mistake was bamboo wood floors. They dent very easily and scratch. We were just 2 adults and anything you dropped dented the floor. They also scratched very easily. We were used to hardwood floors and bamboo cannot compare in terms of wear and tear.
  • PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    9 years ago
    Porcelain tiles that look like wood planks will be more durable in the long run for your pup than any type of hardwood. There are so many options now that look terrific. Just visit a local tile showroom.
  • Diane Baum
    9 years ago
    I put in high gloss dark wood . My sixty pound dog
    ,who had trimmed nails, had marks and swirly circle scratches before the installers loaded up their truck. I think it would have been better with a matte finish because the marks were on the gloss only. Wished I'd put in the beautiful wood tiles.
  • PRO
    Ingalls Custom Contracting
    9 years ago

A porcelain floor tile will hold up longer then ceramic. If you are that
    concerned with scratching then I would make sure your tile has a similar color
    on the surface as it does under the finish this way if it does scratch you
    won't see as deeply.

• Mary Nigro
    9 years ago
    I have two labs and prefinished oak floors. They are about 15 years old and have never been refinished. They have held up better than the wood floors we originally had in kitchen that were finished in place. There are surface scratches in the poly coating but they don't bother me. I have porcelain in kitchen and they are indestructible but hate the grout! We also have them heated but they cost a fortune in electric so my husband won't use them! If you get the heated floors get the numbers for cost to use. We plan to use distressed hardwood in new house and like the idea of hickory. I like the idea of wood look tile in the bathroom or basement but not sure if I want them all through lower floor.
  • sandi955
    8 years ago

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as bamboo wood look tile? My bedroom was done in Bamboo Veneer. In front of my sliders the wood is ruined from moisture? Glaze is peeling off, some of the wood is darker from staining. The rest of the floor still looks beautiful. Nevertheless I have to replace it. I have had the house waterproofed, evaluated and cannot figure out how this happened since water never comes on top of the floor. Until I replace the floor and have some of the wood pulled out, I won't know what it looks like underneath. Anyway the other bedroom floors are Bamboo. So I either need tile that looks like bamboo or wood that will withstand whatever moisture or sun or whatever is causing this problem. Any info would be appreciated.

• sherifraser1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi! I LOVE wood flooring but I love my dogs more. I'm really happy they're making tile that looks like wood now. We just laid some in our downstairs bedroom and we're thinking about putting it throughout the house. We LOVE IT!!!!!

Dogs are the closest thing to unconditional love we will ever experience this side of heaven. We feel they are immensely more important than "authentic" wood floors! Love our furbabies!

• marc marc
    7 years ago

I recently purchased a midrise condo in Houston and installed wood look porcelains planks through the whole place - 2500 sq ft. (minus the bathrooms which i did in white carrera look porcelain. All of the comments ive read about it looking "cheap" or "feaux" wood like youre trying to fool somone is nonsense. It is what it is - just another design/texture/color palette on tile. I agree, there are some out there that DO look very "animated" and low quality, but you just have to be diligent on what you choose. The price range for the condos in my building are minimum $650k up to $2 million and this type of flooring is in demand. There is just no functional benefit to wood in any kind of a humid climate other than the novelty of saying "its wood". When I bought my condo (8 year old unit), real solid wood was installed and i ripped every last bit out. In most midrise/highrise buildings there are specifications on sound barriers and installation, so "real" wood floors are usually installed on 2x4 screeds adhered with tar layer for sound proofing and moisture control. I personally cannot stand the way real wood feels installed on the concrete floor as opposed to the tile. The wood felt hollow over screeds like you were walking on a box (kind of like the tap on laminate but deeper click). Also it cause height problems as the wood install required another 1.5-2". The tile, however, feels like you are walking on the structure the way it was meant to feel (12 inch concrete slab), and I prefer this. Also, Ive see comments "in defense" of the porcelain wood planks in regards to the grout line - saying that you can butt them right up to each other or do a 1/16" joint with rectified tiles. I am telling you from experience, that this is rarely (if ever) true - even using a rectified tile when you are using planks over 15" long. The reality is that all tiles (even porcelain are clay), and when you have a long plank, every tile is going to inherently have a certain amount of warpage. NO tile manufacturer that ive seen warrants installing tiles of this length on a 1/16" staggered joint because of lippage. I installed mind on 1/8" joint, looks great, smooth, and functional. No trying to fool anyone like its real wood - it is overall the best looking flooring for my particular style and best decision I made on this facelift - also continued it on to the terrace from the living room to have a total continuous line ... which is the other main benefit (outdoor)

• PRO
    Akerman Flooring, LLC (NH)zn5
    7 years ago
    Well Thurling, I'm glad to be of assistance in exact experience with both types. 1. my husband installs ceramic wood tiles and like you i first thought well real wood is real wood and my dad and his dad had both owned separate wood floor companies that worked on only laid out real wood to the finish floors of polyurethane. so when my husband started installing these ceramic tile (just so you know, he's been working tile 20+ yrs now), I asked for some pictures and some samples cause we have a house that is in severe remodeling so all floors are being replaced. I have to tell you once I saw the work my husband did with the tile form I made up my mind. if your as OCD about scratches and so forth, it's very easy to replace a board then a whole floor patched up. There is also a vinyl style you might want to look at. with your weather conditions and sun, you'll have some misfortunes on your floors no matter what but the question I asked myself was well I'd rather go with an easy realistic approach and have ordered most ceramic tile and some vinyl for heavier traffic areas. They are so easily replaceable with one board and costs are lower in installation for tile then real wood then finishing it also.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    "Barforan" commented in another post says she say the tile wood in a model home and was amazed at the real look and knowing real wood and water don't mix!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    At the risk of repetition, I live in Missouri City, TX south of Houston. I have clients who have done real wood, vinyl, tile. But the ones with animals All Love the new wood look tiles. I use Emser's porcelain with resolved edges and they come out great every time. There is a new long plank out, a bit pricier and I haven't used but really looks great. I would only be concerned about installation. Need good thinset for level base so things lay nice and flat. Emser has showroom up in Hempstead area and one in Stafford. I use Stafford. Ask for Anthony. He is manager. Tell him I sent you and you can negotiate good deal.
  • Angel 18432
    7 years ago

March 2013 post.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I hate when that happens! Thanks. Sometimes I catch that but this time I didn't! Why does Houzz let this happen??

• Angel 18432
    7 years ago

no prob.

• marc marc
    7 years ago

so what. all the info still applies. date police.

• bcandyfl
    7 years ago

I'm still interested. Thinking of this for my own place

• PRO
    7 years ago

We are a 20 year plus licensed floor installer and would like to tell you all there are many types of "wood" floor looks. Vinyl plank is one which is an amazing, easy to clean, yet cost effective. As above the tile styke is a nice touch but is more expensive. If anyone has further questions about any application of which type to choose for whatever room redoing or a remodel job, pleaze message me aanytim.

• bunnerbec
    7 years ago

We just put wood look tile throughout the main part of our home. Love the way it love looks and the ease of care.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    7 years ago

Bamboo is hard, I know my brother complained about how many saw blade he went through installing my sister's bamboo floor (he is a contractor). That being said, she was just complaining about the scratch marks left by her dog..and the dog HATES it because it is so slippery. I would go with the tile.

• shaunna_rene
    7 years ago
    We just finished installing wood look tile throughout our entire home. 75 lb lab and wild 5 year old made it the best option. We love it!!!
  • PRO
    NearbySale
    7 years ago

I would suggest to go for ceramics wood like tiles, easy to swipe and clean, while the real wood will need a regular maintenance as wood tends to get swallowed over time, needs times to dry up and certain chemicals are required for proper cleaning for long term usage.

• PRO
    Ron Keddy Tile Dealer
    7 years ago

You can check all the tiles and patterns here: http://www.centura.ca/

• Karin M.
    7 years ago

Hi bunnerbec, I love your pictures would you mind sharing tile info for the second picture. It looks different from the first one so not sure if it is or it's just the way the light is hitting it. Thx!

• PRO
    Build Your House Yourself University (BYHYU)
    7 years ago

I'm considering wood look tile for my home too. Just did finished some research on it, if anyone is interested. http://www.byhyu.com/home--podcast/wood-look-tile-byhyu-066

• bunnerbec
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So sorry to take so long to reply Mulloo. The tile in the pics is Florida Tile Magnolia Mahogany. Both pictures are the same tile. The first picture was just taken at a low angle, without lights on in the room. Here's another pic on Houzz: [Florida Tile Magnolia Mahogany[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/wood-look-tile-for-kitchen-entry-den-possibilities-are-endless-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~27480770)

• Karin M.
    6 years ago

Bunnerbec thank you!

• Tammy Campbell
    6 years ago
    We have had handscraped nail down oak hardwood floors in our house in most of the downstairs for 13 years with our two big dogs (100 lbs and 50 lbs). It's the most durable floor I've ever had. Because it is porous, if I do get a scratch I just use some damp coffee grounds and run then in and when I wipe them up the scratch is gone. Our starter step on the staircase is polished wood and is all scratched up and the same method does nothing. We're in the process of downsizing and planning to build a new house and I've been set on handscraped oak in everything but the wet areas. We did see some handscraped look tile that's about half the price but I'm concerned about grout lines (they said the grout would only be 1/8") and it looking like individual tiles. I need to see it installed before I consider it since this will be a large part of the house.
  • PRO
    Brendan Garvey
    6 years ago
    Tiles are the way to go especially when you have two dogs .
  • diyher
    6 years ago

we had porcelain wood look tile installed in our kitchen, connected laundry room and the powder room and plan to use all the extra we have in our master bath and probably our hall bath if we still have some left. The company we bought it from gave us an even cheaper deal if we bought all they had in stock,

Love it so far. The kitchen isn't done yet, the cabinets were just installed earlier this week. Here is the close up photo I took and a link to the brand.

Tabula Grip Cappuccino Wood Plank Porcelain Tile

Size: 6 x 24
    https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/tabula-grip-cappuccino-wood-plank-porcelain-tile-100198670.html#q=++Tabula&start=1

Kitchen updates 2012-2018 · More Info

Our new kitchen with Conestoga Wood RTA cabinets.

pantry fridge wall with deep base and upper cabinets and a soon to be built hidd · More Info

• C L
    6 years ago

Wood look tile in house remodel. We ran it in kitchen, guest bath, and laundry room.

• diyher
    6 years ago

we did the exact same thing NMBS,

I don't have pics yet of the laundry or bathroom, but only one shot of part of the kitchen

• U P
    6 years ago

Nurture Me Birth Services, can you please tell us the brand of tile you used? It looks great!

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    I would also recommend wood-look porcelain tiles in a real wood color. Avoid the multicolor look of the first photo: IMO, real wood flooring looks best in long boards of matching wood. Avoid gray because it is a fad, a trend that will not last the way traditional wood lasts. The second photo shows what seems to be "reclaimed" wood. I would only use that style of tile if my house was rustic or farmhouse style.
  • C L
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

UP the brand is Marazzi American Estates in spice. Grout is black and dried a little lighter than black. If you go with this floor there is a good blog post talking about grout color (she went with black and recommended it)

• diyher
    6 years ago

oops, my tile wasn't 6x24 :) it was 6x40

• PRO
    Brendan Garvey
    6 years ago
    Bathroom wood effect tile .
  • U P
    6 years ago

House and Home, what brand is that? Thank you.

• Michal Januszko
    6 years ago

Yesterday I saw awesome tiles at majestictiles.com. Fits that design perfect :)

• Nancy Ball
    5 years ago

We built our house by hand over 20 years ago. We put down fir floors everywhere (over radiant heat tubes). We love it because it's soft on the feet, looks pretty, and is quieter than hardwood. It scratches a lot. When we had our big Bernese dog, she would sometimes sit in the middle of the floor and start to scratch with her back foot. She would grip the floor with her front foot which would gradually slip leaving behind 3 deep parallel curved grooves across the grain. So now, we're ready to refinish the floors. We're going for the distressed fir look, which we also like. But we're looking at $10K to have someone else do the work (and the radiant tubing is a huge concern). Doing it over, I'd go with high-end vinyl I think. But I'd use a stone-like pattern - some of those are wonderful. I think in the future, designers will become freer with using imaginative shadings and textures rather than just imitating natural materials.

• R L
    15 days ago

Any updates on the wood look tile you installed and how its holding up? Can you share links to the tile you used?

• bunnerbec
    14 days ago

We still love it! We used Florida Tile Magnolia Mahogany.

• bunnerbec
    14 days ago

Still looks brand new. No chips, scratches, etc.