Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgussnj

Fabuwood Galaxy Frost Cabinets and white paint?

dgussnj
6 years ago
Has anyone found a white paint that matches Fabuwood Galaxy Frost cabinets? I need to match for the trim, doors, and also the tongue and groove ceiling. Should I just take a door to the paint store and ask them to match it?

(Not sure what to paint the rest of the kitchen, either, but that’s a question for another day!)

Work-in-progress, as you can see. Thanks!

Comments (56)

• dgussnj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is how they look in my kitchen, FYI.
  • Kristen A
    5 years ago
    They look great! Would u mind if I ask if you had any issues? I'm reading so many negative things online about horrible customer service and cabinets arriving w nicks and dents and chips and the company taking forever to replace things. I got a great estimate and a beautiful design from a local place but I'm so hesitant to move forward because of these reviews!
  • dgussnj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Kristin,

I haven’t had any problems. The cabinets were all in good shape when they arrived so I didn’t have to deal with contacting the company. I bought them from and had them installed by a local distributor, Cabinets of Collingswood, in N.J., so they would have dealt with the company if there had been an issue (I assume). They did a good job and even added some custom things like a narrow pull out spice cabinet that made good use of the odd spaces in my old kitchen. Also, living in NJ, I liked the fact that Fabuwood is a Jersey-based manufacturer. I’ve been trying as much as possible within my budget to support smaller and more local businesses, so that was a consideration for me.

I have two friends who also have Fabuwood cabinets in their kitchens, and they recommended them to me, so that made me feel less concerned about some of the complaints I’ve seen here, which I’m sure are valid—stuff happens! Kitchen renovation is not my idea of a good time! Good luck with yours.
  • Mom26gifts
    5 years ago
    Dgussng did you ever find a color that matched? I have the same cabinets. I like what you’ve done above them, is that kind of a gray?
  • lisabsauer
    5 years ago

Hi! Did you discover a paint color that matched? I am trying to find a touch up kit for the same brand/color shaker frost cabinets!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

You can contact the cabinet shop you purchased them from and ask them to call Fabuwood and give you a quote for a gallon of frost paint. We carry Fabuwood and order paint all the time for modifications, moldings etc. They will sell it to you. If your kitchen shop cannot accommodate your request, you can visit us. We will be glad to help.

Will not be priced as the paint at the paint shop though. it will run you about $93.

You can keep whats left for touch ups etc.

• PRO
    R+D Projects
    5 years ago

I am having the same problem and would like to know a benjamin moore color that would match for the walls since I do not want to use the same type of paint that is on the wood cabinetry. Please help!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

We have asked this question to Fabuwood but they do not have a color from any of the paint brands to reference from. They have their own. I would take a wood sample and have the paint store match the color. That is the best bet. Take a door or a left over molding piece for matching.

• Kristen A
    5 years ago
    It’s been a month since my fabuwood cabinets have been installed. They look gorgeous!!!! But... I’m finding a few of my cabinet doors are showing some wear already on the corners. Like the paint or finish is washing away. Anyone else w this problem?
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

Contact your vendor. This should not be happening. They have a 5 year limited warranty. Take pictures of the areas of concern and email them to the salesperson so they can forward this to the vendor.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    4 years ago

I had the Fabuwood galaxy Frost I stalled and love them. I too the door to BM to match for the trim but had to return to the store twice cause the paint they have me dosnt match. I ended up using BM Moore on my trims. Very close Match.

You can see my full kitchen here

https://www.thepinkdream.com/fabuwood-cabinet-review/

• elaine crosier
    4 years ago

how are your fabuwood cabinets holding up?

• wader
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have Fabuwood Galaxy in Linen color, but as for Frost the company would only supply repair kits and no paint color specifications.

Aftrer spending almost an hour at the local paint store (with a very patient and experienced paint salesperson), I was able to come up with a Benjamin Moore Advanced can in Satin finish which turns out to match seamlessly with the cabinets for everyone who has seen our kitchen.

Essentially, I got to where two paint samples seemed to border the target color I needed, so I just used basic math and calculated the next mix, which fit perfectly. Maybe I got lucky, but I was willing to pay for all the paint samples to get at this need, as we were adding custom woodwork to our Fabuwood cabinetry and wanted a seamless look (e.g., on an island where the Fabuwood legs were far too thick, so we purchased smaller ones elsewhere, for a decorative skirt beneath the sink cabinet, etc.)

I can share the Linen paint mix we came up with if anyone is interested, but my point is that this can be done - it definitely takes a good paint store to help things along, I feel.

• M F
    4 years ago

Wader- would you be willing to share the numbers for that match? We are planning to purchase the linen cabinets and will need to match a few other pieces.

• Craig H
    4 years ago

Wader - would greatly appreciate the matches as well when you can— would be a huge help

• wader
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Folks, I am hoping this color is good enough to try for those with Galaxy in Linen color - here is the mix label on the Benjamin Moore Advanced in satin finish. It says "(Gallon)" for the mix, though this was used in a 31.5 fl.oz. can - not being a paint expert, I'm guessing that any decent paint shop would know what to do with this:

For a close matching caulk for use with the Fabuwood Linen, I believe we ended up using Tower Tech2 in Off-White. This was a lifesaver for sealing up the edges of our island and filling the gaps between beadboard face and top of the baseboard moulding.

In case it helps. below is an example of where we used the paint. The light is a bit uneven due to this being fully sunlit and was taken before final issues were spruced up, but hopefully it's representative enough to get an idea of how the paint color might look in other applications:

1. There is a fully painted piece of base moulding in front of the sink cabinet toe-kick, meant to look like a skirt or architectural feet (that we made from unfinished poplar one day, with my spouse saying she realllllly wanted that type of detail even though it wasn't offered by Fabuwood) - it is partially seen on the left of the picture.

2. The island has paint and caulk touchups between the Fabuwood beadboard and molding components to make it more seamless looking.

3. On the right side of the island in this picture, the extension and leg are fully painted.

I realize this isn't the greatest work out there, we admittedly did some of this work by the seat of our pants with our flexible (but more budget-level) contractor. But, we've been happy with the result and visitors have not picked out the painted (or caulked) vs original Fabuwood linen pieces, at least.

Hope that helps or at least offers more ideas on matching paints/caulks.

• M F
    4 years ago

Looks great! Thank you so much! How large is your island? Can we see a full kitchen picture?

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

@Kristen A, what happened with the wear on your cabinets? Was it resolved to your satisfaction?

• Rebecca Hill
    3 years ago

Kristen A, are you still enjoying your cabinets? I’d love to know how they have held up.

• freerjl
    3 years ago

Has anyone had their fabulous cabinets painted? We have frost white and We were thinking of painting our island. I’ve heard locally they don’t take painting well. Is there a trick to painting these cabinets so the paint won’t peel?

• elaine crosier
    3 years ago

I light sanding to rough up the surface followed by a quality tinted primer and then your paint should do it. Haven't tried it on these cabinets. But this is the process regardless of paint or varnish etc.

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

@freerjl I too heard they don't paint well. I wanted a non-standard blue for my island, and after all the rigmarole, decided it was too hard and now have a Frost white one. Please let us know how you go

• goodlaw
    3 years ago

A few years years down the road you’ll need yellowish gray paint to match the discolored white frost cabinets.

• HU-54941871
    3 years ago

I have these cabinets as well. Not even 3 months paint chipping off terribly! Associate from Fabuwood comes out and says it is my ring hitting cabinet. They don't even go near the knobs however paint coming off n spots I dont touch. GARBAGE and I told him. Look at my review online. They had to replace cabinets 6 times before installing! Look at th ed garbage that passed from quality control! I am primarily the only person using this kitchen which I can't enjoy. It Sickens me to see the money wasted for it took me so long to reduce kitchen. The paint was Not applied properly for if so would Not come off even if you touched it with your ring which I Have Not. I would advise anyone to stay away from Fabuwood since the Company and the rep. Will make every excuse possible for the garbage they sell !

• goodlaw
    3 years ago

I agree! Terrible quality! White cabinets that turn yellow and chip way too easily!

• M K
    2 years ago

dgussnj, Did you ever find a paint match? And how are the cabinets holding up--are you happy with them?

• dgussnj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I did find a match, though I don’t remember what is was now. We painted the trim Abbasid white and the walls a gray-green. I like the cabinets a lot, though there are some chips now (few years out). Still beautiful and the soft close feature is great. I wouldn’t get painted cabinets again, but that’s what my husband wanted.

• M K
    2 years ago

Thanks! We're in the same area (near Collingswood). If you remember the match (or where you went to get it, was it Conroy's?) please let me know! Thanks again.

• jcsabia
    2 years ago

@wader I'm thinking of getting the same cabinets as you. How are they holding up?

• dgussnj
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I still love them. There are a couple of chips, mostly on the bottom of the bottom doors. But everything else is holding up very well. No complaints.

• wader
    2 years ago

Our Fabuwood cabinets have held up well and are easily washable from a finish perspective. However, the railing quality leaves something to be desired: for wider drawers, we have handles equi-distant on each side of the drawers, as a single pull would probably put too much strain on a single handle and look less balanced. If someone is in a rush and just uses either the right or left-side handle to open the drawer, we are finding that the entire railing alignment gets skewed after only a month or two of use and needs to be "bent" in order to be made more straight again. So, while the appearance has been fine thus far, the mechanicals have been less than robust.

• bettydaly
    2 years ago

@wader Curious- what color did you paint your walls? Looking to find a wall color that complements the linen color of the cabinet. Thanks for all your input here!

• wader
    2 years ago

@bettydaly Benjamin Moore Winthrop peach (HC-55)

• japinch
    2 years ago

Has anyone replaced a drawer front from fabuware.

• Adam Williams
    last year

Hi all,

Bought the Midtown Shaker White, AKA Galaxy Frost from TheRTAStore.com, which as you know advertises as a Sherwin Williams finish.

Brought a sample to SW for match, and they told me it was straight no pigment white (can white). My issue is the finish, not sure whether to go satin or semi gloss on this.

• Poorker
    last year
  • Linda Weber
    last year
    last modified: last year

Garbage! I have the white Imperial Dove. A little over a year in and they are already getting a yellow tinge. The worst is that you can just look at them and they chip! We have no small children in the house and are extra careful. Everytime I look at them there is another chip or crack. I have the touch up kit and can't even keep up with it. I don't even want to open the cabinets as this seeems enough to produce damage. This crap needs to be sent back to China where they make it. VERY DISAPPOINTED! About to have them ripped out and replaced with solid wood. DISGUSTED

• Cat
    7 months ago

wow that bad? guess Ill be staying away

• HU-865878296
    3 months ago

I am having Fabuwood Galaxy Frost uppers and Indigo lowers installed in a u-shaped kitchen. The components are made in Vietnam, assembled in NJ and well-constructed with a beautiful finish. My contractor is impressed with them. Midtown Shaker and RTA are not the same product. Read the cabinet reviews at www. mainline kitchen design cabinet reviews and the comment section that follows for a great starting point. The author Paul McClary makes it clear that stained finishes will always be more durable than painted finishes no matter the cost. However, the aesthetics of paint win out over stained 80% of the time.

• HU-876886880
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I purchased the Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane enamel semi gloss (6196 frosty white), for my Fabuwood bright white galaxy frost crown molding, but the color does not match the cabinets, it looks like a dark grey instead of bright white. Has anyone been able to find the correct match for this color, from Benjamin Moore , Sherwin Williams or Home Depot? The Mfg charges

$79 for a pint which is extremely expensive

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 days ago

You'd have to take one of your doors or drawers to a store and have them measure your door/drawer then make it. Odds are not in your favor that it will be an exact match. And could end up spending more than $79. Not to mention the time and hassle.

• HU-865878296
    16 days ago

I too am currently looking for a match to the Fabuwood Frost cabinets for doorway, baseboard and window trim. I painted a spare Frost molding section with, in order, BM Chantilly Lace (eggshell), a BM custom match (satin), SW High Hide Urethane (satin) and BM Simply white (eggshell). The Chantilly Lace seems to disappear the most which would seem to be best. I also would like to use it throughout the house and it appears prettiest and brightest for this application too. Simply white is a bit too yellow and the other two, gray. The picture was taken with 4000K under cabinet lighting.

Hope this helps.

• HU-865878296
    16 days ago

The other contender for which I have yet to get a paint sample of to compare is SW White Snow. It is pictured here on top of Samplize samples BM Simply White on the left and BM Chantilly Lace on the right. Anyone care to weigh in between SW White Snow and Chantilly Lace for Fabuwood Frost cabinet trim?

• HU-865878296
    16 days ago

@HU-…6880 I too looked into the Fabuwood paint but it is very thin and must be sprayed on. You cannot brush or roll it on. After more reflection today, I’m going to get paint samples of BM Chantilly lace in satin and maybe semi gloss to compare and will report my findings.

• HU-876886880
    15 days ago

I have some good news. I was able to find a close match for for my Fabuwood bright white galaxy frost cabinet molding. I took one of the doors to my local Benjamin Moore paint store, its not a 100% but its about 95% match. I repainted that original cabinet that I posted before with the Sherwin Williams paint and I am posting these new pictures so you can see the improvement. I am very satisfied with this color and it only cost $26 for the pint size, better than paying $79 to Fabuwood. I bought the crown molding from Home Depot, it was a lot cheaper than purchasing them from Fabuwood. This was a big project cutting and installing the crown molding.

• HU-876886880
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Hello HU-865878296

I would recommend that you just take one of your cabinet doors to BM and ask them to do a match for you. Apply several coats of the paint and you will be impressed at how well it looks, and you can do this with a paint brush.

• HU-865878296
    15 days ago

@HU-876886880 your painted crown molding looks amazing! Ive already taken a door to my local BM paint store but the colors ended up being too gray. Would you please take a clear photo of the formula on the paint can and I’ll ask my store to create it for me? Thanks!

• HU-876886880
    15 days ago

@ HU-865878296 . The formula is on the back of the paint can in the 2nd photo above, please keep in mind that its based on the photo scan from my cabinet door. Just to confirm, is the color of your cabinets the same as my cabinets, that is bright white galaxy frost ? if it is then the formula on my can will be okay for you. Actually the sales person from the BM store told me that I can use that formula at any paint store and they will be able to create the same color. hope this helps

• HU-865878296
    15 days ago

@HU- 876886880 Thank you so much for reposting. i didn‘t realize that by tapping on the original picture it would make the formula legible. The satin sheen seems perfect too. I will get a quart to test. Yes, I also have the Fabuwood frost galaxy cabinets. Really like the construction, hinges, glides and finish. Much prettier than other manufacturers in the same price range. Enjoy your new kitchen and many thanks for sharing and helping!😊