Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msherlock60614

Time to Lighten & Brighten

Molly
4 years ago

Our 1 bedroom condo is undergoing some renovations which will be done soon and it's time to lighten things up. We will need to paint the living/dining room, bedroom and connecting halls. Attached are pictures of the rooms to be painted. The current colors are Huntington Beige in the Living/Dining and Shaker Beige in the bedroom. The floor is java colored hardwood and the bedroom is carpeted. The exposure is southeast so we get morning sun until about noon. The upholstered pieces are new and won't be changed. There are no overhead lights because of concrete ceilings and I hate the look of draped cords.

Right now I'm hoping for some color suggestions. I'm considering BM Pale Oak and other have suggested SW Natural Choice and SW Worldly Gray. There is a strip of some other colors I was considering in the last picture. I don't want gray rooms, but am ok with greige. Please ignore the furniture and decor for now as some of it will be going (noteably the entertainment center), but not for a while. Please excuse the mess.

Comments (8.8K)

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Ladma that is definitely the scenic route! Glad it eventually showed up. 🙂

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

My samples are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. 🙂

• Parker Murphy
    last month

Yeah!! Waiting is the worst!

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

So true Parker!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Oh great! looking forward to seeing them in your kitchen..hope one works for you🙏🏻

• oportunitygreentea
    last month

Just to confirm - waiting for the samples feels is the worst and it takes ages. A fair heads up to anyone to order as soon as possible. Glad to hear yours are arriving!

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Here are the samples. Opinions please. 🙂

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hi Molly the neutral color is so pretty..you can always add blue into the room with art and accessories for the counter…different from what you had…would be beautiful.

• dsimber
    last month

Molly, forgive me for showing this. I saw it recently without remembering your criteria, but decided to share, just in case the pattern appeals to you. I don't even have a source, but I think it was in one of the many links in Apple News this past weekend.

• Parker Murphy
    last month

I like the neutral one. It is so pretty against your beautiful counter.

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks dsimber, very interesting pattern. However, the mushrooms don’t appeal to me.

• glschisler
    last month

Well, I like the blue.😉 It makes me happy!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    last month

I always love blue but I also really love the canvas color in your kitchen because it looks so nice with your counters and cabinets. Like HIWE said “you can add blue accents on the counters.”

• kjoy1
    last month

Another vote for neutral ✅

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last month

neutral for me.

• Molly
    Original Author
    last month

I like the blue too, but am leaning neutral as a change of pace to what is there now. Thanks for the votes.

• cubby14
    last month

Neutral one for me here.

• DD Deco
    last month

Neutral 👏 So pretty, Molly!

• mary44
    last month

Neutral for me to Molly:)

• liasch
    last month

I love colour but the neutral works sooo much better with what is there.

• Molly
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I am now considering tile under the cabinets. My installer recommended these 2 patterns to go with my paper. Thoughts? Ignore the tile color, just consider the pattern.

• Nora Lambert
    15 days ago

I think you will be very, very happy with tile.

• Nora Lambert
    15 days ago

Molly, I think in the long run, you would be happier with the second pattern. Doesn’t fight with the wallpaper. Just MHO. Classic!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    15 days ago

Cant go wrong with subway tile! it will be very pretty with the wallpaper.

• glschisler
    15 days ago

I too agree with the second tile option for the same reason Nora stated.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

Third vote for the running bond tile installation. It will absolutely work with the paper - and not steal the show. It’s a background player. This is all looking very lovely.

• Parker Murphy
    15 days ago

I really like the second one too!

• dsimber
    15 days ago

So do I!

• Molly
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I like the second one best too. 🙂

• liasch
    15 days ago

Hm. Outlier here… I like the first one. More interesting, less expected, but i’d like to see it in a mock up to see how much it actually conflicts with the wallpaper.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    15 days ago

I like second one too. Love wallpaper and it needs “quiet” companion.

• Molly
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I went tile shopping today, let me know your preference. One is significantly less than the others. 1-4 left to right.

• Parker Murphy
    12 days ago

I like #2. It's going to be beautiful!!

• happyleg
    12 days ago

I like also #1 #2. The last one is ok. Is that the cheapest?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    11 days ago

#2 and the small #4

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

#2 Looks best on my monitor.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Molly what is the size of the small tile..I like the smaller slender size. and it is a bit brighter lighter…..I think it may look really nice…not completely matching the counter..but providing a slight contrast.

• Molly
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Julie the smaller size is 2.5x8. It is also matte. Here is a picture in natural like on a gray day.

• glschisler
    11 days ago

I also like #2. I do like the longer tile.

• cubby14
    11 days ago

#2 is my vote.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    11 days ago

Molly I really like the 2x8” and prefer the Matte finish…all the trim in your home is white I think the lighter tile will look the best.

• Molly
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks Julie. Why do you prefer the smaller size? Ignore any pictures that may be attached, I can’t remove them for some reason.

• liasch
    11 days ago

#2…

• piaa
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

On my monitor #2 looks great - so glad you are doing tile

• justcallmepool
    10 days ago

Well, I'll stand out alone but I like #1 or the small ones. I think #2 is a bit too matchy matchy with the wallpaper to me. I think the whiter ones keep you open to more possibilities in the future.

I don't know how the small tile will look, but which one is the cheapest? haha

• Molly
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks everyone! Seems like #2 has the majority of the votes. Pool #1 is too white against the counter. A friend mentioned that the glossy would bounce more light compared to the smaller matte. #3 is the least expensive. 🙂

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    10 days ago

Morning Molly…I prefer the smaller thinner , I just prefer the look and the matte finish for a kitchen backsplash unless it is mother of pearl or glass……I like the larger with gloss finish for showers/bathrooms.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Molly any will work and look beautiful, subway tile is classic so no worries pick what you love.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    10 days ago

Here are two ways to use the smaller 2x8 tiles

• DD Deco
    9 days ago

Molly, popped in to see what you were up to and so Happy to see it is TILE….YAY!! It’s gonna look amazing 👏👏👏