Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_schildt

seeking help sourcing large format limestone look tile

Caroline
3 years ago

First time poster here. Has anyone here in the US sourced large format limestone look tile? We love UK based Humphrey Munsons flooring collection they use in their kitchens, particularly the grey tumbled limestone. They have a grey porcelain that emulates their limestone line as well as shown here in photo. We are trying find a website based in US or tile store here in CT that can get close to achieving this particular look in porcelain for us. Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (130)

• liekweg
    11 months ago

I chatted w/Tile Expert and they stated samples are not available for Pietra de Ostuni?

• Alyssa Fernandez
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

liekweg, I ordered my Ostuni samples from https://www.marblenthings.com/. I believe there was some cost, but nothing like $800. I'm pretty sure it was $10 per sample.

• sillysquares
    9 months ago

@liekweg I was able to purchase mine through Artwalk Tile, I live in Ca and I got mine super fast and cheap. Look them up online, they send full pc samples as well :)

• Megan Marelich
    9 months ago

Megan, is there any way you could post more pictures showing the color variation?

• Megan
    9 months ago

Hope this helps 😊

• torontohome3000
    2 months ago

Just an FYI. I ordered from tile expert. A big order. Took a risk after reading this thread. And it came. I am in Canada

Thanks everyone for researching and recommendations.

• Megan
    2 months ago

Post a pic after it is installed. I hope you love it! Officially one year in to our new kitchen and we always comment on the unexpected softness and smoothness of this tile. It’s lovely on bare feet. Enjoy!

• Megan Marelich
    2 months ago

Please post photos once done!

• HU-910663146
    2 months ago

Looks great

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    2 months ago

Megan, you inspired me to order samples. Do you think this tile would look good in a combined mudroom/laundry room? I am going for a traditional English bootroom feel.

• Megan
    2 months ago

Absolutely! I see this look of tile used throughout English homes, including in the boot rooms.

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    2 months ago

Megan, may I ask who the VT distributor was who you used? I live in the NE also and haven’t been able to source a local distributor.

• Megan
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Virginia Tile in Omaha, Nebraska. They carried it in summer 2022. Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    2 months ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    2 months ago

Amanda styles are any of your tiles in the blue family? i received my samples today and am finding it very difficult to make a color choice given the high variation in color!

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    2 months ago

Megan the edges of your tiles look far less tumbled than the samples I received. Perhaps it is just the smaller size tiles?

• Megan
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Mine are quite tumbled, just hard to see from the photos i have posted here I will post a closer angle when I return home from vacation in a few days.

• PRO
    Healthy Home New England
    last month

Hi everyone, I think I am going to go with Avorio despite being light for our mudroom/laundry because the space doesn't get much natural light. Does anyone have pictures of Avorio installed with cream/white cabinets?

• Jocelyn Adelman
    last month

@torontohome3000 how did they turn out? would love to see some photos of your install!

• torontohome3000
    last month

It is an exterior installation. So still waiting for the weather to turn here in Canada. And even then might not get done til summer. But I will post some pics when finished

• PRO
    Darlene Goren Interiors
    last month

@torontohome3000 would you be willing to let me borrow your samples . I am in the GTA as well. Avorio Nat and Grigio Nat if you have them. If just the Avorio no problem as Grigio samples are avail on website. Thanks so much.

• torontohome3000
    last month

Sure but I only have tufo and grigio. Message me and we can exchange information.

• Monin Martin
    last month
    last modified: last month

How’s cleaning the Ostuni tiles been? My designer is dissuading me from installing it because of the tumbled edge. She says it will get pretty dirty on the edges and hard to keep clean. It would be in our mud room with kids and dogs. Did you put some sort of sealer on it? What kind and color grout did you do? @megan @mwynn @caroline

• debrak6
    last month

I posted the same question a while back....hoping this thread refresh will get some input. We live with dogs and garden and the house is being built where the dirt has a lot of color; is it high maintenance to mop and keep clean?

• M Wynne
    last month

Cleaning the tiles themselves has been easy, the grout is a bit more challenging. I posted about it up above last year. I am finding that to be the case with the grout for all of our tile installs though. My Avorio is in super high traffic areas, with dogs and a 4 year old, I still love it!

• debrak6
    last month

Thank you so much! I've really loved the photos of this tile and the samples I have since before finding any threads about it, so I think I will count it worth some maintenance. It helps to know you have it in high traffic areas as we live with dogs and "colorful" (high iron) dirt. Appreciate the reply!

• Megan
    last month

The tumbled edges themselves arent making the tile more difficult to clean. They give the comfortable, traditional look I wanted to emulate from Humphrey Munson. Straight edges will change the vibe and read more contemporary. The light grout color and exaggerated tile gaps is where we need to apply extra attention in cleaning. After 1 year living in my new kitchen, I would make the exact same tile, grout color and grout gap decisions.

• torontohome3000
    last month

Cleaning is definitely a concern, but if you don't get the tumbled edges, then these tile are the same as every other tile. The tumbled edges is what makes them unique and gives them the old world look. There are limestone look tiles without the tumbled edges in every tile shop everywhere.

• PRO
    not a business
    last month

Hi Monin Martin, I didn't end up going with this tile, but I do have a suggestion for you. There are many different "sealers" on the market today. That should also help cut back on staining as well. Sealers are great for helping keep grout stain resistant as well. I know you didn't address grout, but one more tip for you since it seems like you haven't begun instalallation as of yet. There are different companies that make something called a "grout additive". We used one of these products for our marble tile/grout installation. It really has made a huge difference, cutting back on staining and maintainence. Good luck to you!

• Monin Martin
    last month

@Alyssa Fernandez What color grout did you use? @megan What color grout did you use?

@torontohome300 I couldn’t agree more! I love the tumbled edge!

@not a business What additive did you use?

• PRO
    not a business
    last month

Monin Martin, it was either mapei maximizer or stonetech....I can't remember which one. This was used in placement of water and the grout in my shower has not had any mold/mildew issues. I do dry the shower down after each use as well. Of course, you won't have the moisture issue, but spills and such can be a problem in the kitchen. Whoever installs your tile should have knowledge of this. It is a bit pricey, but in my opinion, especially since I have white marble, I am limited on cleaning product options. I used Miracle Seal on my marble tile and that is a great product as well. They have different ones depending on the materials. Mine was for stone and was an "impregnator". I think the name had 511 in it. Good luck to you!

• Megan
    last month

Our grout is Laticrete in 90 Light pewter, set apart at 3/8”. This grout has the sealer worked into the formula.

• Alyssa Fernandez
    29 days ago

My grout is Prism Snow White #11. I don't find the tile hard to keep clean at all. I run my iRobot over it, then use my steam cleaner.

• Megan Marelich
    18 days ago

Megan, how did you lay out your pattern for setting the tile?

• Megan
    18 days ago

They are 1/3 offset

• Frank Granados
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I love this thread! I am building a new home in CA and have been looking for a stone tile for what seems like ages!

@Darlene Goren Interiors Would you be willing to ship those my way once your done?

• PRO
    Darlene Goren Interiors
    17 days ago

@frankgranados if you mean Canada- they are available at Factory Tile Depot, Ceramic Decor in Guelph, Ontario, and Tile Expert imports from Italy. which costs more. I was able to get samples locally. Hope this helps.

• Megan Marelich
    16 days ago

Do you girls who installed it in your house think it’s too much to install 2,700 ft of it in my whole house? Would it be too patchy looking? I love the tumbled edge..

• Megan
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

@megan marelich Not at all! I would do this personally...Humphrey Munson does in their whole home projects. We installed it in our kitchen and family room for one continuous look. We installed a large square of inset carpeting in our living area for our sofa, which is surrounded on all sides with a 4' border of the same tile to maintain the continuity. It softens the family room TV/sofa area and gives the illusion of an area rug, but is part of the permanent flooring.

• Megan Marelich
    16 days ago

Awesome, thanks for your input. It’s such a big leap to take, but I’m sure it will be beautiful!

• Megan Marelich
    16 days ago

I saw on Humphrey Munson website they recommend 12-15mm grout joints. What did you guys do?

• Megan
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

That HM recommendation gave our tile layer mild heartburn. I think it‘s just such a rare spacing in the US and she warned against the high-maintenance cleaning regime that such a grout gap would demand. She demonstrated a few options up to .5” and after discussing it we compromised at .375” or 9.53 mm. She is a highly skilled and sought after tile layer so I trusted her opinion. The compromise still achieved the look I wanted so was happy with it.

• Monin Martin
    16 days ago

@megan How thin of a grout line did she want you to go? Thinner then the 9mm? I’m thinking of going thinner for that same reason.

• Megan
    16 days ago

She started with .25” or 6.35mm. I am attaching some photos (of my bare feet) to give some size reference - dont have any coins handy. I firmly believe that reducing the space would have been a mistake because of the look I wanted to achieve. Highly recommend 9 mm at a min!

• Megan
    16 days ago

.375” (9.53mm) grout spacing. Size 7.5 feet 😂

• worthyvess
    16 days ago

That tile is gorgeous.
    I bought floor tile that was a dead ringer for limestone - in the store. Was so disappointed with the product, so I am a little jealous! I have radiant heat under it though so don’t feel sorry for me lol! Just appreciate the beauty of your floor. (I painted my grout and it’s much easier to keep clean btw.)

• Megan Marelich
    16 days ago

Megan, I think your grout size is perfect! I can’t wait for this flooring! Thank you so much for all of the help.

• Megan Marelich
    15 days ago

Did anyone use artwalk tile for the purchase of the tile (not just samples)? They seem to be a few thousand less than tile.expert.

• mommacole3
    10 days ago

What size tiles did Megan use in her kitchen that she is posting in that picture with her feet? and what color is that? Thanks I am pulling the trigger soon on my new floor!

• Megan
    10 days ago

You are going to love it. our kitchen/family flooring is Cerdomus Pietra Di Ostuni 15.75”x23.62” in Avorio, natural finish, layed 1/3 offset with 3.8“ grout gap. It feels so nice on bare feet!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH