Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktgardenia

How to get my mahogany door to look like this? (Stain choice)

KT_B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi!

I have to choose a stain for my mahogany door, and I don't think I'll be able to be there to test it on the door itself.

I purchased the double door version of this exact unfinished door, and this is the color I want:

https://grandentrydoors.com/andalucia-8-lite-tdl-mahogany-single-entry-door/

I was handed a minwax booklet to figure out which stain to choose... I have stain sample cans but I can't source a small piece of mahogany to test them on so I have no idea what's going to get me close to this color. Is there another kind of wood I could test on that would be similar?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The pics of the door in your post seems very close to what you want why not just do a clear coat

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

If the wood is already the color you would like then as Patricia Colwell said don't apply any stain at all and just have the door clear coated.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    2 years ago

If the door is mahogany, get a piece of mahogany to test the stain on.

We do not test stain colors on the actual cabinet doors for our projects.

• KT_B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, @Norwood Architects The description of that photo says that it is stained, but it doesn't say what stain they used. That is the look I want. I'm afraid clear-coat-only mahogany will be really orange, which is a look I do not like at all.

@Creative Design Cabinetry Yes this is what I would like to do but I've searched all over and can't find a source for a piece of mahogany anywhere. Do you have any suggestions? I don't have a lot of time.

• KT_B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found an instagram account with a bunch of photos that I really liked of our same door with stain identified as "special walnut" and I'm going to go with that. Thanks everyone!

• nhb22
    2 years ago

KT B - We used Minwax Dark Walnut on our mahogany porch hand railings, and Bona or Minmax Provencial on our front door. The color you seem to be going for looks like a more grayer color. Hoping Special Walnut will do it for you. We also considered that color.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Minwax is an Interior Grade stain and not made for exterior use.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Thank you! We used Helmsman Spar Urethane to cover the railings and protect the door...both of which are protected from the weather by porch overhangs. Also, we get very little sun in the front of the house where the railings and door are. Used the same formula's in previous home and the finish held up well for the 14 years we were there.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    2 years ago

KT B, check out your local millwork companies.

• jamiu
    5 months ago

Hi, I have the exact same problem right now and saw that you went with special walnut. Could you send a picture how it turned out and if you're happy with it?

• Kar Shav
    2 months ago

can you share your door with me too? I have to pick asap

• jamiu
    2 months ago

We ended up using minwax weathered oak and I think it turned out well

• Hannah Brown
    27 days ago

Is this a mahogany door with weather oak stain?

• R Dyke
    15 days ago

Following

• jamiu
    15 days ago

Yes, it is weathered oak stain on a mahogany door on my picture

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    14 days ago

jamiu, that's a nice looking door.

there is also a way to use white/beige paint to 'wash' the grain

and give it more of an oak look.

Kind of similar to this mahogany chest. this obviously isn't finished, but you can se how the washing really removes the red

and if you really want to go all out, you can bleach the wood.

But I would suggest that anyone who wants that look to purchase a white oak door and not spend the money on mahogany!