Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendon_sebera

Exterior update to split foyer house, feedback needed!

DIY (Dog) Dad
last year

Hey all - we just had our windows replaced throughout the entire house and are now looking to spruce up the rest of our split level homes’ exterior. I love the work Brick and Batten does, but don’t have $1k to spend on photoshop; so I tried it myself! Would love thoughts on the proposed exterior, trying to go for a modern look and move away from a very two-dimensional design with the split level.

Comments (18)

• Yvonne Martin
    last year

First, get rid of the Victorian door. Your color blocking is interesting, but I suggest that you leave the brick unchanged and do the two-tone for the upper level. Perhaps what you propose in red, make white.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

I like charcoal & cedar. Search that phrase in the box above to get more ideas.

• cat_ky
    last year

No color blocking please. Makes the house look like someone glued two houses together. Its a very nice looking house. Can you post a picture of it like it is, rather than all photoshopped. I like the charcoal siding, but, I like the brick natural, like the first picture. The white painted brick, looks like fake plastic.. I also love the cedar horizontal siding, if it was on the entire front of the house, and again, leave the brick natural. I also agree, that the doors are very wrong for what you are trying to do here.

• Gene Longo
    last year

So I agree with the comments - get rid of the victorian doors! (sorry but you can do so much better). Second, also agree with the color blocking comment - makes it feel so busy. Although I am a big fan of painted brick, especially when lime washed. Also like when brick is painted a neutral color. Are your windows black or brown? Just be careful of going too trendy. (source online shopping Wayfair)

• ptreckel
    last year

Try the dark gray with your red brick. I think it will look fabulous! (Keep the red brick!!!). Then, change out the front door to a modern double door OR a single door with side lites. AND a more modern hanging lantern…large!…over your front door. Change out the post light to a more modern style. And then…landscape.

• cat_ky
    last year

Love the look of the house the way P Banos has it in the picture.

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    last year

Awesome, thanks all! Yes, eventually we’ll need to get a new door on there, for now the black (used to be white, but we painted) place holder will have to stay. We’re leaning toward a single door with the side lites through. I appreciate the thoughts on the color blocking, I’m thinking we’ll go all one color now but accent the trim with the black too. Saving on that wood paneling may open up the possibility of a new door sooner, rather than later too! Ooh & zoom into the top left window to see the pups!

• Sammie J
    last year

I would use the $$ for landscaping (the biggest way to change your curb appeal!!!), updated trim, and a new door. I think you might grow to love the house just the way it is....

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    last year

Haha landscaping is on the docket! We missed the window for new grass planting, so now have to suffer through just weeds until September 😞

• P Banos
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ha! I see them now, probably enjoying the AC.

New door is better than changing siding. New lamps too, in a simple modern style. Our grass is pretty brown in spots now.

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    last year

@Gene’s idea with the brown door would be nice too … here’s a refreshed pass at the exterior … I still need to find the right lamp

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    last year

Update:

• P Banos
    last year

Is doggie always in window, or only when you are outside with the camera?

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    last year

Haha always when someone is out front!

• H D
    last year

Love it—looks great! And I can’t resist- “how much is that doggie in the window” 🎶

• DIY (Dog) Dad
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Annnnd done

• H D
    14 days ago

Beautiful!