Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foreverhome5

Bedrosians Cloe Tile from Amazon

D Davis
5 months ago

I think I may have made a mistake by purchasing the Bedrosians Cloe tile on Amazon. Does the Cloe have this many wonky tiles in their boxes or is this just a bad install? My husband is really handy and has installed tile for us before with no problem and it looked great. This is leaving me to believe that maybe the Cloe sold on Amazon are customer returns and are filled with uneven, bad tiles. The boxes they came in as well looked opened and rewrapped. When I look at pictures of installs online I don’t notice this much lippage or unevenness. Perhaps they ordered plenty of overage and picked through the tiles (we did not do that) and the Cloe really does have this many “bad” tiles? Any insight would be appreciated as we’re debating now if we should rip most of it out and order directly from Bedrosians, and start over🤦‍♀️

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 months ago

Any pictures I have ever seen of this tile seem to have an irregularity to them. I have not ever sold this tile or seen it in person, so wait until some of the other pros chime in and we can both learn something new.

FWIW - your husband did a great job!

• Maureen
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I’m not a pro, but given its variations believe it’s the look - found a review on Wayfair by a customer and she mentioned she was happy (see her photo below). I’d reach out to the company and find out what should be expected.

• eld6161
    5 months ago

D Davis, this tile has been popular for a very long time. You are correct in that should not be this much lippage. So many pictures on the internet of this tile.

That said, it looks like the job is completed. You should have stopped when the uneveness was spotted and returned the tiles.

Live and learn. The first clue was the open and resealed boxes .Probably someone picked through the cases.

I would live with this for a while.

I agree that your husband did a great installation.

• M Miller
    5 months ago

The joints are not wide enough for the handmade irregular characteristics of Cloe tile. The tile is meant to look irregular and uneven - that is one of the reasons people like Cloe tile. It is not supposed to look like the perfect machine-cut subway tiles. Your grout joints are supposed to be slightly different widths in different areas since the tiles do not have straight edges, and again are meant to have a more handmade look. Your husband should have used spacers for 1/16" grout lines with some variation in grout line width to allow for the tiles' irregular edges.

• Iri
    5 months ago

I don't mind lippage in handmade-look tile and think this looks good. Lumpy materials are fine on a wall if you enjoy the look. Not okay on floors, of course.

• chispa
    5 months ago

Grout spacing should have been wider to account for irregularities in the tile.

I used these hand made tiles from Pratt & Larson in my previous house ... look at the grout spacing. Anything less would have left you with lippage and the installation would not look right.

• Ladan S
    5 months ago

The placement of the undercabinet lightning also accentuates any lippage. Is it possible to pull it forward to the front of the cabinets? It's a very pretty tile and he did a great job.

• Stacey
    5 months ago

It is a handcrafted tile. It looks really good to me. Your husband did a wonderful job. I love that look.

• M Miller
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

"The placement of the undercabinet lightning also accentuates any lippage. Is it possible to pull it forward to the front of the cabinets?"

That is a good point about the undercabinet lighting by @Ladan S. Undercabinet lighting should be installed toward the front of the upper cabinets, not toward the back the way the OP has it. When undercabinet lighting is installed at the back, it is lighting mostly the backsplash, and highlights an uneven surface - but not in a good way. When the undercabinet lighting is placed toward the front, it is shedding light onto the center of the counter beneath it where it is needed. That is where you want the light, in order to provide task lighting at the counter.

• D Davis
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I suppose we should have used a wider grout space to compensate for the irregularity, but I read several threads that stated that they used no spacing w this tile, so I assumed that was the way to go. Our mistake there.

• Debbie S
    2 months ago

Hi, do you think the tile from Amazon is different? I’m looking to purchase through them too but read your comments. Directly from Bedrosian is 2-3 weeks and more expensive. On Amazon it looks as if it’s directly from Bedrosian too and ships within a week but now I’m not so sure.

• D Davis
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi Debbie, that’s the same reason I ordered from Amazon as well because the shipping was much quicker. I can’t be 100% sure that the tile sold on Amazon aren’t merchandise returns. I did question it because I know some businesses will sell their returns through Amazon. But after I fixed my lighting issue though, I was very happy with the install. I believe the issue was just the lighting and unfamiliarity with the tile than the tile itself. If you really want to make sure, you may want to try contacting Bedrosians directly to see if they can confirm.

• D Davis
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This is a better view of the tile after it was installed.

• Kate
    2 months ago

Looks beautiful!

• PRO
    KristinaM
    last month

Hi There, tile looks great! Considering also considering ordering on amazon.ca *(canadian). What grout and cauking did you use for the install??