Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhondakucera

White oak kitchen cabinets stain?

rhondakucera
2 months ago

We are remodeling our kitchen, and doing white oak cabinets. I want a natural looking stain (light tan/honey color). My painter uses Minwax. Has anyone used the stain Natural 209, and if so, do you have any pictures. Our floors are also white oak, and I've selected DuraSeal Weathered Oak for the stain. Any advice on Nautral, or other Minwax colors is appreciated!

Comments (74)

• Kate
    last month

Thank you for sharing ! This is how ours look 2 weeks ago after being finished . They’ve been wrapped since then as the rest of the house is being painted and I am just dying to see them again :). I guess they are curing and will change some , so I am having anxiety if they will still be the same or change and if yes - to better or worse :)).

• rhondakucera
    Original Author
    last month

They look wonderful! Hopefully they will be equally beautiful when you can see them again

• rhondakucera
    Original Author
    last month

They look wonderful! Hopefully they will be equally beautiful when they are unveiled

• Kate
    17 days ago

I think it's very nice!

I agree it's stressful with white oak. If i had known how much it changes, i might have picked another wood, but well.. It was an interesting jorney :). I am happy with mine but there were a couple of times i was read to just stain it some 'dark walnut' and be done with it :))

Congratulations for finding a solution!

• Kate
    17 days ago

Thank you! I must say, I do like how it turned out - probably because this is how i wanted it to turn out :)) lol.. expectations met reality - what else to wish for.

As for the walls - it's Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige , actually this one i wish i had experimented with 25% or even 50% lighter. Or maybe i just can't get used to it after walls been white for so long.

I was more concerned that the color will be washed out because of all the light we get through the windows, but it definitely didn't wash out a bit.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Lovely--what is the flooring?

• Kate
    16 days ago

Diana, not sure if your question was addressed to me - its concrete foundation , floors haven’t been installed yet .

• PRO
    16 days ago

Sorry, yes, Kate, I was asking about your flooring. So what are you planning for the floors?

• Kate
    16 days ago

We are still choosing. Hope to find something that won’t be busy and won’t have much color variation.

• PRO
    16 days ago

Have you considered the same white oak stained the same color as your cabinets?

• Kate
    16 days ago

Diana, That’s surely would be nice !

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Kate - your kitchen looks lovely. What color white paint did you use for your upper cabinets and trim?

Rhonda - congrats on your new kitchen! I will be going through this whole stain dilemma soon - makes me NERVOUS!

I’m glad that you trusted your own judgment - and that the cabinets turned out the way that you wanted them to!

Are your floors white or red oak?

• Kate
    15 days ago

Dani, it’s SW Egret White. I had my part of “heart attack” with it too though . It seemed to have had some pink or lavender glare at first. I got some good advice on Houzz in what it could be and it helped me to survive until it disappeared.
    But a friendly warning to test it with your particular color conditions and (!important) with the sheen that will be used for cabinets.
    It reflects light differently, so, to avoid surprises like mine :) i would strongly advise to test it fully.

• Kate
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

And thank you for nice words about my kitchen!

Oh, and the trim - trim is SW High Reflective White

• dani_m08
    15 days ago

Kate - I remember your post re: Egret White now! So glad that the initial pink/lavender tone that you were seeing went away! I actually left a comment - I remember wondering if you had a reflection from the maroon paper on your countertops + I seem to remember that your windows might have been covered (not a lot of natural light coming into the space.

So - your ceilings are probably SW HRW also?

I like how the Accessible Beige looks also - I think it may be the color I had my builder originally use for most of my house many years ago.

So funny (or not!) - I’ve spent 100x more time selecting items for my two bathroom renovations (going to only do one more - my powder room) + kitchen renovation + interior paint + exterior paint than I did selecting everything for my house when I built it!

• Kate
    15 days ago

dani_m08 , yeah, that was me :) I panicked , i must admit :).

Ceilings are SW Extra White.

Accessible Beige is a great color indeed. It's a chameleon too. It does show some pink sometimes - around the sunset time. But what doesn't .. I mean during sunset.

I wish i experimented a bit with getting a lighter version of it though. Maybe not 50 but 25% lighter.

• dani_m08
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Kate - glad ro hear - my ceilings were recently painted SW Extra White - but I’ve been thinking about using HRW on my trim! Selecting white paints sucks! 😂

My kitchen receives a lot of western light - A LOT! I think I may try 25% lighter sample and see (my kitchen had wallpaper before - so, not sure what Accessible Beige will look like in there.

• Kate
    13 days ago

Mia Smyth , looks amazing! you did manage to keep the color! wow!! What did it take to achieve this?

dani_m08 , in our case trim and ceiling were the easiest - I didn't choose the trim and ceiling . I was frantically staining wood samples at that time and making foam board samples to choose the wall colors, lol, So , I just went with what our GC normally uses, it seemed like a good choice and i also don't have an eagle eye that tells the difference . If it looks white - that's good enough to me in that case :)))))

• PRO
    13 days ago

Black with your cabinets would look amazing!

• Kate
    13 days ago

Mia Smyth, I do like how .. both look.. I guess it's how you want the end result. Wasn't black more like a farmhouse trend? Idk.. I do love how brass hardware look in general. I had hard time rejecting this finish - it's so warm and eye appealing, but with our stainless apron sink and cabinet hardware right next to it , it didn't seem like the right option.

I am actually currently counting knobs and pulls myself and deciding should I go with pulls or knobs at one particular upper cabinet. Pulls look too busy. Knobs look too... spotty. :) Our kitchen style is sort of traditional, old house looking (lol, at least that was an idea, I am sure any designer would see a ton of mistakes) , so, my final choice was this Ash Gray finish.

I really liked satin nickel but i think it will be too shiny for me.

rest of the house has just very unassuming Cocoa Bronze hardware from Home Depot.

• Kate
    13 days ago

Mia, after looking at the new pictures, I think i like how the black hardware looks and fits everything.

And love the black windows frames too!

• wdccruise
    13 days ago

Mia: I'd use simple, black pulls with those matt-finish shaker doors, not fussy ones like the ones shown sitting on a countertop pictured earlier. Amazon has a bunch. I used Ravinte pulls on my closet which are well made and look fine.

• PRO
    13 days ago

The ash gray is so much better than the satin nickel!

And I love the 6" black on your cabinets, Mia. Don't be afraid--it's not going to look hard. Better to have that contrast than a "meh" bland safe look.

• Kate
    13 days ago

Thanks, Diana!

Mia, black ones don't look hard to me, but I am not a designer. They look right on the spot to me after I saw the new pictures!

As for the lengths - I went with different ones, just using the 1/3 rule.

And i am using knobs on all doors. I know, it's not very 2024 :)

• Smallbath5
    12 days ago

@Mia. I've been planning on choosing white oak cabinets too and I really like the look of yours. I know it can depend on the lighting, grain, etc.. I see your contractor blended The SamaN Wood Stain with a neutral stain, but what was the color of the 25% stain? Lots of stain choices with that brand. https://samanwoodstain.com/produit/waterbased-stain/ . Thanks!

• PRO
    12 days ago

Kate, I love knobs on doors and pulls on drawers. Not time-specific at all. Just a good combination to give some interest to the space.

• Smallbath5
    12 days ago

Is Mia and Kate's traditional cut white oak? Is Jan Moyer's Summer House kitchen quarter sawn oak? The quarter sawn oak I have for a sample is very stripey, which I thought I liked at first. Seeing these others might actually fit my style more.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The Summer House just got a new custom/ amazingmaxing!!!! dining table this week!

Has 2 leaves extends to 168”

White oak

Minwax GRAY and three coats clear

• Kate
    12 days ago

Smallbath5, mine is all types of cuts i think. I thought it was rift cut at first - wishfull thiking. Judged by one plank. The one i picked was rift cut, but the end result was a combination. Which made staining even more interesting because they all take stain differently.

I might be wrong but it feels that what i think is plain or quarter cut had more pink in it.

• Smallbath5
    12 days ago

@JAN MOYER, what cut of oak have you been inclined to use? plain, rift, quarter sawn?

@Kate, interesting that the different cuts show different color!

• Mia Smyth
    12 days ago

Jan Moyer,

I love your new table almost looks like Stickley! What is the color of your countertop. It looks like soapstone. Thank Yoi!

• Kate
    12 days ago

Smallbath5, i am not an expert , but it looked so to me.

I also saw someone somewhere, maybe even on Houzz, mentioned Varathan Aged Wheat stain. It has some green in it apparently. And green makes red dissapear.

I didn't try it, I learnt about it too late , but I hope to try it some day - really curious how it will work out. This one or some other that has green in it.

• Mia Smyth
    11 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

He just put on most doors today and I am in love with the color! I choose Brass Hardware Not BLK! He should bottle the formula and sell it for Millions! Looks even more amazing in person so raw and natural. We LOVE the color.

• Kate
    10 days ago

Mia, they do look absolutely beautiful! Your carpenter or painter really should copyright the formula :)

• Mia Smyth
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Kate, You are so kind. Thank you so much. I asked him today about Minwax. He does not like it for cabinets. He said its more of a do it yourself project. He said Monocoat is good. He will not use it on cabinets because its to much hand work and he would have to charge more and the product is expensive. He said its excellnt for wood floors. I looked it up on the internet and it looks wonderful as well. I would love to try it.

• Smallbath5
    9 days ago

@Mia. Our home is a 50 year old raised ranch (split level entry) with 8' ceilings, so our kitchen size layout is very similar to yours! Your fridge and sink are on the same wall. It looks like there is another large cabinet space to the left of the range. Is that for a pantry? Were your floors the original red/white oak flooring?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Counter is honed absolute black granite ( summer House)

Table is quarter sawn as are cabinets in same kitchen. Both Minwax gray with three seal coats on the table.

• Kate
    9 days ago

Mia, yeah, I learnt from Houzz that Miniwax is not cool , so I spent quite some time ordering other samples like Rubio and whitewashing and whatnot instead of mixing stains by adding some green.

I think the solution is not the brand but the fact that one can add water on wood and boom - color changed. So to get to the desired effect you just need to tweak the color.

I forgot completely - the first cabinet we stained we used Silvered Gray (MW as well) on it. It's a remote cabinet almost noone will see, so we used it as a large guinea pig.

Posting just In case if anyone will be searching for "How Miniwax Slivered Gray 282 (semi-transparent) looks on white oak" - here is how:

after staining only. sorry for yellow marks.

And , of course, monitors and phones might change color some.

I took a couple of pic of that cabinet few days ago, this is now with lacquer (and some dust, guess after tile guys):

• Kate
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Mia, your kitchen is lovely! I love the views from the windows too. Altogether it looks so unified - if it's the right word. Love Jan's views and windows and trim too.

• Smallbath5
    9 days ago

@Kate, looks awesome! I'm learning so much before I start my project.

@Jan you used Minwax, but other folks don't like?

• Kate
    9 days ago

Smallbath5, definitely do your research! Good luck!! :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

@Smallbath5

Every single piece of wood is different. As to Minwax gray on our table, the cabinetry? It was what we wanted. We weren't looking for very pale - that is the flooring! Pale....

As we did, you have to test!

• Smallbath5
    9 days ago

"Testing 1,2,3" will be my middle name:) We will be extending our current hardwood floors into the kitchen, so we will have to resand/restain the floors. Pick stain for cabinets first? Then countertop? Then after cabinets installed pick stain for flooring? We have layout done and appliances selected.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

Wellllll what is the "current" hardwood? Oak? Red oak? Something else?

Above all AND MOST important? Show that layout, best shown in the 2 d cad format. You can add the pretty elevated drawings.

What you really should do? Don't tag on this thread. Begin your own, and begin with........here's my kitchen. I need help ! Lots : )

• Smallbath5
    9 days ago

Will do, Jan. Thanks!

• Mia Smyth
    9 days ago

Smallbath5,

We also have a split ranch home built in 1974. We have been remodeling forever! Our floors are not in yet. Below is the flooring.It goes really well with the cabinets. This is the unfinished cabinet with the floor.

• Mia Smyth
    9 days ago

Your cabinets are lovely. Hard to tell from pictures. I do like the varigated colors of everything. Like Jan I like that look. Real wood takes on different stain and we like that. I worked as a desinger for many years. I have selected the Pendents and picked the counters today. When you putting hardware?

• Kate
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Clarification just in case - we have only one cabinet in Silvered gray 282. The stain looks like an off white color, it’s very light . Before lacquer was applied , I noticed that stain brought out some pink which disappeared after applying lacquer or maybe the wood just cured . I read that sometimes pink hue disappears after a while on white oak .

But the rest of the cabinets in the house is mw classic gray .
    I wasn’t sure if it’s clear.
    MW Classic Gray has a very obvious strong gray color. Asked painters to apply and remove immediately- not wait for even 5 minutes. The goal was NOT to make them gray but to bring out grain to an extent and to sort of age the wood.
    But even after quick removal
    there were spots that took stain too hard and were obviously gray.
    I walked throughout the house and sanded places away such places myself .
    At some spots I wish I had sanded more.
    Idk if anyone will ever need this info because obviously the trend is 180 degree different . But just in case again. 😀 be careful and test test test. And even after that watch out.
    One wonderful thing about wood is that things can be fixed almost indefinitely.

PS : edited grammar and spelling.

• Kate
    8 days ago

Mia , want sure if you are asking me - my hardware is on its way:). Can’t wait for it. A bit worried how the shorter pulls will look - I have 4 3-3/4” ones, hope not too chunky, lol. I