Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayj1983

staircase runner

Jay J
last month
last modified: last month

Hi all, I want to add a runner to my staircase, they are steep and slip hazard, generally uncomfortable to climb. I am wondering about fabrice (wool vs nylon vs polyester) and pattern (plain vs patterned/colorful) We generally would like some color, but i am concerned with lining the pattern up and if it would look too much. Please see the photos below, any advice/experience/photos will be appreciated !

Edited: putting the two choices here, one is a polypropylene rug from rifle co x loloi i like and comes in a 11 feet runner (the blue one) , we have other rugs from here and we love the pop of color it will give, other is from a selection the installation company provided, i plan to hire someone to do it and ataple it to the bull nose for a tight finish, seems like wool would be a good option.

Comments (19)

• ilikefriday
    last month

Are you installing the runner yourself? Otherwise I assume the installers would let you know if the pattern might be a problem.

• ptreckel
    last month

I highly recommend wool. Your patterns (herringbone) are subtle, but I think they are fine. I would suggest a “Hollywood” installation, not a “Waterfall.” I am replacing our long wearing wool runner with an almost identical one in wool. The original has served us well; it is the original carpet of 20 years in a seasonal rental! Hard to believe, no?

Jay J thanked ptreckel
  • ptreckel
    last month

(PS: Our reason for replacement is that our pesky Westie puppy shredded the surged edge beyond redemption! Otherwise, we would be keeping it for at least another year!)

Jay J thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

These runners have a tailored installation & looks great. I would select a loop-patterned carpet for durability. I would not consider polyester for stairs unless it's a loop construction.

This carpet is waterfall below and it's not as tailored and I don't like it.

Jay J thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kendrah
    last month

The patterns on the boards you have pictured would not be too busy. The pattern on the blue rug would.

Jay J thanked Kendrah
  • Jay J
    Original Author
    last month

Edited: putting the two choices here, one is a polypropylene rug from rifle co x loloi i like and comes in a 11 feet runner (the blue one) , we have other rugs from here and we love the pop of color it will give, other is from a selection the installation company provided, i plan to hire someone to do it and ataple it to the bull nose for a tight finish, seems like wool would be a good option.

• Maureen
    last month
    last modified: last month

Suggest wool with good underpadding for longevity and work with your staircase/hallway style wise.

Jay J thanked Maureen
  • kodiac23
    last month

i am a fan of wool, every rug in my home is wool. extremly durable. if you went will the blue, you would need 2 maybe 3…

Jay J thanked kodiac23
  • kodiac23
    last month

By the way, i have never seen stairs like that, where you have wood stained insets. are you planing on covering the entire stained portion? you should, choose a color that looks best with the white.

Jay J thanked kodiac23
  • Jay J
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Final two options. Reversible and wool. What does everyone think ?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    13 days ago

I very much dislike both choices.

• kodiac23
    13 days ago

The wood inserts imo should be totally covered, those are too narrow. i like them both but too narrow, stairs will have alot of stripes side to side and up and down

• chloebud
    13 days ago

Just sharing these links from a blogger I used to see posting occasionally on Houzz.

https://www.calypsointhecountry.com/choosing-stair-runner/

https://www.calypsointhecountry.com/a-sisal-substitute-for-stairs/

• Meredith K
    13 days ago

I installed my own using a rug also from Rifle Paper as in your original post! I would steer away from any horizontal lines

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I love the horizontal lines. Especially the one with the white background.

• k8cd
    13 days ago

Unless the size of the stairs and stripes on the runner are in sync, the stripes will be in a different place on every stair. Might look intentional, might not. (I am with @ptreckel and think it would be optically confusing.) I would also be hesitant to use white on stairs.

• Jay J
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I always update my posts :) we decided with the dark grey one. It blends into the dark wood and matched the walls. Stripes look just modern enough but not too confusing. The padding is a game changer for my pregnant wife and parents. Thanks all !! @meredithk I wish you had posted before I bought these. I have rifle paper all over the house, stairs look gorgeous !

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

Looks absolutely fabulous!