Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chptrtwo

New Home, Fresh Start, What Colors to Paint?

Elaine Fisher
last month

We recently purchased a home built in 2010, cared for with evident pride of ownership. We are hoping to make it our own by changing up the colors.

The dark hardwood floors are shiny.

Our dilemma is what color to paint the main living area that goes with the kitchen colors. The color flows through to the dining room and hall areas too.

We are thinking a soft green for the primary bedroom, to complement the bedroom suite, which comes with the house. The primary bedroom will be as seen in the pictures, except the chairs.

The remainder of the pictures are as per the real estate listing. MORE PICS AVAILABLE

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month

You have white trim, so I would go with neutral off-white walls to pop up white trim. Neutrals go good with any color.

1. Calm BM

2. American White BM

3. Silver Satin BM

Elaine Fisher thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • kandrewspa
    last month

These appear to be the listing pictures. Are you going to be buying new furniture for the living and dining rooms, or do you have furniture already that you will use?

Based on the information given, I would suggest BM Edgecomb Gray for the living area. Contrary to the name of the color, it is not very gray - it is greige. You will have to sample it next to your existing upholstery and the kitchen floor to make sure it works with them. For the bedroom there are any number of greens that would work. You need to evaluate the wall color in the bedroom against the bedding you want to use. Do you want a light, medium or dark color in the bedroom?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month

Or Classic Gray

Elaine Fisher thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • kandrewspa
    last month

If you want something near white, be careful not to clash with the kitchen cabinets and floor. The colors suggested above are cool. Warmer is more likely to work. Since colors don't always appear true on pictures, it is difficult sometimes to make good recommendations. You'll have to sample on site to be able to decide.

Elaine Fisher thanked kandrewspa
  • Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

Celery. Visualization, Rendering Images

What color did you use for the rendering? Is it the classic grey like the stock picture? It certainly helps to see it like that. Really appreciate it. this is my first time on houzz :):)

kandrewspa : do you know of an examples using BM Edgecomb Gray; I like your idea of getting the bedding first. I want a light color. The bedroom suite is far more formal than our taste, but it comes with the house and is beautiful in its own right. I'm thinking simple bedding.

I would like the feeling of light and airy.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

The mirror above the fireplace stays. we will be using our existing black leather couch and loveseat, and two blue occassional chairs. I could post pics of them if that helps. We are moving from a small closed living room to a big open one.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

Our current living room furniture. Would really appreciate help arranging. We have a large white shag rug too.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

What about the paint color over the kitchen cabinets? Should it be consistent with the open livingroom color?

• cat_ky
    last month

The colors in there go well with the floors. Is there something about those colors you dont like? Add interest with colorful accessories, once you get your own furniture in there.

Elaine Fisher thanked cat_ky
  • Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

cat_ky Very good question. I guess we wanted a change, but maybe this is the best color.

In the bedroom, do you know of a good color that would show off the dark wood of the bedroom suite? (the whole main floor of the house is the color in the pictures posted)

Entrance to Primary bedroom, living room on the right

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

Primary bedroom ensuite

Loft over garage

Oops, meant to post this....looking back towards stairs and back/garage entry. Same color.

• cat_ky
    last month

You could do an ivory in the bedroom, or a light green, or an alabaster, or any number of colors. The bedroom, does not have to be the color of the other rooms in the house. Pick your favorite color, and then find a lighter shade of it, that you love.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    last month

I think what I'd really like is to see mock ups of different colors like in Celery. Visualization, Rendering Images's reply.

Could someone do that, or is there a way on Houzz to do it, or what? Lots of learning to do.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

thinking of this bedding for the master bedroom. is it a workable style for the bedding? if not, any suggestions. thinking of a soft green for the walls? please advise, thanks!

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    24 days ago

this bedding, sorry

• Amanda Smith
    24 days ago

Beautiful house. Congratulations!

Elaine Fisher thanked Amanda Smith
  • cat_ky
    24 days ago

I like the bedding. Lots of colors in there, so should be easy to pick a wall color that you really love.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    22 days ago

I have found another one on Wayfair

I'm struggling with what I like and what would look good with the bedroom set that comes with the house. A new style of furniture for us, for sure.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    15 days ago

please help with carpet size 'rules'.

Measurements of living room:

Patio door to railing: 20.8 feet

Fireplace to kitchen tile: 17.3 feet

we would like to put a floor rug in to anchor the room.

as per previous picture....

The furniture we have is a 3 seater black leather reclining sofa, and matching love seat;

two occassional chairs (blue)

two black drink stands

two side tables

1 piano to come

i will add a picture of the rug we like.

• Elaine Fisher
    Original Author
    15 days ago

is there a website somewhere to do a drawing of the layout to scale? Please help.