Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia_covello

front of house square landscape design

tricia covello
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

As you can see the tree I put an X over didnt survie winter so that is coming out and the back row of boxwoods are also coming out as they dont go up to tje house so the space behind it it empty.

I want to replace the tree and than fill tje rest of the soace but having a hard time bc the hedge of boxwoods in front will block most of what I put that is lower than the tree. Any ideas and help will be appreciated!

Would also like to add some smaller things around the front bush 🤷🏻‍♀️

Comments (23)

• Little Bird
    12 days ago

If that area gets afternoon shade, you could put in Endless Summer hydrangeas, which re-bloom all summer long. You could even mix different colors, as they tend to bloom at slightly different times, so you’ll always have colors. But if it’s full sun, you could try Oh So Easy roses, which are truly oh so easy, and also re-bloom all summer long. Salvia is a great companion for roses and some varieties re bloom if you deadhead. In the front corner, you could plant an annual like Rieger begonias, which also bloom all summer long and don’t need deadheading.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Stand further back and include the whole front view please? All of the entry door area?

Looks a bit of over design even minus the back row of boxwood. Your climate and zone would be helpful as well.

• Kay p
    12 days ago

We need to see the whole front yard as Jan mentioned. I really like boxwood as they look tidy and formal

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Am not a fan of having shrubs super close to a house. Does the brick behind the boxwood stay damp? If so, would suggest removing those. There should be sources online that give the basics of landscape design. Would suggest you consult those to get a better understanding of how landscaping can enhance a home instead of detracting from it.

• tricia garofalo covello
    12 days ago

boxwoods that i want to remove are about foot and a half away from brickbc we had hydrangias back there that we removed bc they were killing thr boxwoods So I need other shrubs/plants to fill the space but dont know how to make them be seen behind the front row of boxwoods

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Show the ENTIRE front entry please, You've not enough context for good advice.

12 days ago

Ok will do soon as I get home

12 days ago

here are some front views of my home w both sides of landsaping

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

The boxwood “playpen” doesnt work for me.

I’d line the left side and right of walk to entry door with boxwood.

Leave the boxwood under the three garage windows.

Get a whole new concept for behind the boxwood on right side of walk.

Begin with a more substantial tree, and the mulch should be delayed.

You may have choked the tree

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

Topiary! I already see a dinosaur.

12 days ago

No Nasty comments please ! thx

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 days ago

You're not going to get helpful comments without more information.

1. Where in the world are you?
    2. Which direction does the house face?
    3. Any idea why the tree died? What kind of tree was it?

It also wouldn't hurt to post in the Landscaping forum.

12 days ago

In NJ and tree was weeping cherry

I didnt know there was a landsape forum! Thx for thr info!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

IMO the boxwoods on the outside of the walkway and that square landscape with nice foundation type plantings and no boxwood.

• ptreckel
    11 days ago

I disagree. Your installation evokes a formal boxwood knot garden. It was probably installed at considerable expense by someone drawing upon the traditional, formal style of your home. For inspiration , research the gardens at Williamsburg. The interior plantings in your beautiful boxwood edged beds would have been roses and supplemented with other seasonal flowers for color. Maintaining the formal hedge is work but it appears well-kept. Do post on a landscape forum for more historically appropriate suggestions.

• mcarroll16
    11 days ago

I'm with ptreckel. I think the garden is a really good fit for your home's style. It sounds like you see the fact that the boxwoods don't meet the house as a problem--it's not. Any planting should sit 1-2 feet in front of the house, to preserve the cladding, and give access for maintenance. I would love to see you keep the boxwoods and replace the tree.

You have such strong shapes here. I wouldn't look for plants that stand above the boxwoods. Instead fill in with lower flowering plants. If you google "knot gardens" you will see a lot of gardens with filler that is the same level or lower than the shrubs.

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

If you choose not to replace the tree that has died with another appropriately scaled one…I strongly recommend a sculpture or a brass artillery sphere placed on a plinth surrounded by a bed of roses. Lovely!

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

Damn autocorrect! Armillary Sphere! NOT artillery!!!😳

• Anna Devane
    10 days ago

Ptreckel….in this day and age ”artillery” might work🤣

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

😂 True!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    10 days ago