Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_loudon

pls help my mother inlaw select backsplash tile for new kitchen.

Ac Lb
13 days ago

My mother in-law just had a new white kitchen installed with coastal gray quartz. She's replacing flooring with hardwoods. Which tile do you think looks best-the light gray or taupe tile?

Comments (18)

• A C
    13 days ago

I like the lightest color one. I actually just bought some of Daltile pickets in a ‘pearl’ color for a shower wall. She might take a look at that color also. It’s very light also, and each tile is a slightly different color. There are 3 different shapes offered.

https://www.daltile.com/products/mosaic/miramo/pearl

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you!

• herbflavor
    13 days ago

selection A the lighter of the two.

• chloebud
    13 days ago

I would choose the lightest color in the counter for the tile. Just a personal preference, but there’s pattern in the counter, so a tile with simple lines would be nice.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you for your response! I'll share this with her!

• chloebud
    13 days ago

Often pattern in both counter and backsplash can fight each other. I think having one or the other pull the focus is nicer. However, again, it’s all personal preference.

• rebunky
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Do you know the name of the white paint on the cabinets? They look quite creamy in the photo.

For that reason, I am not sold on either A or B because it is hard to tell if it the color would make the white cabinets look more yellow.

Can you post a photo of her kitchen standing at a distance to get the entire wall in the shot? If you show a straight on view of one of the walls, like the stove or sink wall, I would be happy to try and mock up your choices if it would help with your decision.

It would also be helpful to see a sample of the wood flooring.

Btw, it is so nice of you to help your MIL. 😍

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you Rebunky!! I'll text her this morning.

• freedomplace1
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

She could just paint the backsplash area with an eggshell finish - which makes it cleanable/wipeable. And she could then have the flexibility to change the backsplash area any time she wants - using just a solid paint color, or bringing in a pattern with a stencill, etc. That way, she doesn’t have to look at the same backsplash forever; if she wants to change the look, it’s easy. She really doesn't need a tile backsplash for function; and the counter has enough movement to provide the visual interest. She could just let the counter(s) be the star, and save the expense and trouble. Plus, imo, she would have a better look without tile competing.

This is not her counter, of course, but just to show some examples with painted backsplash area. I just painted part of the backsplash area, so that you can see the general idea (plus, I’m really lazy :) .

The sky is the limit. :)

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Here are more pics. Like I said, she's replacing her flooring with hardwoods. Thank you so much for your help!

• latifolia
    13 days ago

Can she wait until the hardwoods are in to choose the backsplash? That will give her the best result.

• Maureen
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Really helped to see the entire kitchen. Suggest simple classic subway tiles in a soft mocha, so as to blend into the counter (using white grout to tie into cupboards), vs adding another color and/or busy shape that could overwhelm.

It’s the whole effect to keep in mind and maybe see if she is interested in a new light and replacing the items on shelves to tie everything in, including the hardware and wood flooring.

• H202
    12 days ago

I dont think the arabesque tile works well with those slab cabinets, sorry.

• acm
    12 days ago

I like the pale gray best with the counter, but it looks like the cabinets might be a bit warm, which would indicate the light taupe might be better.

• tlynn1960
    12 days ago

Agree with H2O2 that the arabesque (traditional style shape) is not well suited to slab cabinets. Perhaps a more modern vertical stacked tile? Is the oiled rubbed bronze hardware staying? Are the upper cabinets installation complete because I notice some gaps between cabinets in the photo you put in the comments?

• rebunky
    12 days ago

Cute kitchen! I love the teacup display.

As latifolia mentioned, can your MIL have the wood floors installed first and then choose the tile backsplash? What species of wood is she planning? Will the stain color be dark, medium, or light? It is so hard to choose a tile until the floors are in.

Does she know what the white cabinet paint is called? I am just curious because I am thinking that the gold floor tiles are reflecting a yellowish tone on the cabinets. The ceiling even looks gold.

I know it might not be in the budget, but recessed ceiling lights and under-cabinet lighting would help so much. It would brighten things up and provide task lighting on to the countertops. Overall, it looks a little dark even with the window and the lights on. Maybe it is ok in person?

I agree that the arabesque shape may not be the best fit for the style of the kitchen. Is she open to other shapes that would fit the style and age of the home?

• jackowskib
    12 days ago

I would look at subway tile in the white that blends with the countertop, and consider either horizontal or vertical for backsplash. Keep it simple and let the countertop be the star since it already has the color and movement to be the boss.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

I would never select the tiles you're considering.

I'd even pause at using the Arabesque shape

Instead I would consider a mosaic tile in 12" x12" sheets