Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallbywall

Backsplash - changing grout color

Jacqueline B
18 days ago

I am wanting to change the color of the grout in my backsplash. 22 years ago I installed the orange counter, installed the backsplash and painted the cabinets. The current blue color was just painted recently. I am not ready to pull out the counter and backsplash at this time, therefore looking for a new grout color to go better with all the colors going on. The current color is just a cement grey. Any suggestions?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Leave it alone , it isn't really going to change anything. For not a lot of money, you can rip it right off, repair the drywall, do a new counter top and just a HIGHER than normal riser.

A nice clean white Corian Dupont, plain and simple, designer white, or cameo white would freshen it all.

What is behind the cook please?

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

It’s an aluminum piece of sheet metal. Over 20 years ago when ripping out an old cabinet, the plaster wall was severely damaged, and since we didn’t have a lot of spare money at the time, we decided to cover up the mess. We get a lot of compliments on it.

• beeboo22
    18 days ago

I love the blue cabinets! 😍 I would paint the backsplash rather than change the grout.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

What would you suggest?

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I just picked up new curtains.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

So....... you like a bit of orange? Get tile paint, and just paint the entire splash

The texture will be there, the busy won't.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Yes, I do love orange, but I also love neutrals and white.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

The cabinets and curtains give you the answer: )

You don't have that much counter top. Drywall isn't a difficult task.

It may be enough slap tile paint in the splash.

• beeboo22
    18 days ago

I love the curtains! Do you like the current wall paint? It’s hard to tell in the pics what color it is — beige/yellow? For the backsplash, you could go with that same color and cut it by 50% so it’s more of a creamy white. Or if you’re ready for a big change, a warm white like Sherwin Williams Alabaster might be nice for both walls and backsplash.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

It took me about one month to refinish the cabinets, and unfortunately had purchased chrome hinges to match the original pulls. I agree that with the new color doors a different metal would work better. But I have no energy to work on these cabinets anymore at this time. 😅 We do love our kitchen space in our small & very old home.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

The paint color is a yellow from Benjamin Moore called Tangerine, I think. Funny how you suggested the Alabaster color as that is the color used throughout the rest of the house.

• Boxerpal
    18 days ago

I love your blue cabinets. And the new curtains are fun fun fun!!!

• Kendrah
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Based on your first pics I'd say paint your splash in a warm ivory color. Then the pics of the curtain are added and I can't stand the current splash and say paint it pronto. But once you pull back and introduce the black cabinet, wood framed mirror, and wood table, I think the current splash oddly works with those wood elements and you should just leave it. If you showed us the entire room, which you should, I might change my mind again.

Nice job on the cabinets and hardware. I'm curious how old this very hold house can be. It seems 80s or 90s to me. Am I missing something?

• la_la Girl
    18 days ago

Love the cabs - if it were me, I would pull off the BS tile, repair the wall and find a peel and stick wallpaper that pulls the cab, counter and curtains together

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

The house was built in 1910. It is only 1800 sq/ft, and fortunately for us, the kitchen is the biggest room. It faces west with great sun all day.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Here is a picture of the kitchen during our walk through before we bought it 22 years ago. The renovations have not stopped! Most of us that live in old houses know this feeling.

• acm
    17 days ago

I would leave the backsplash alone, as it echoes the colors in the floor and thus feels at home in the space. Beyond that, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a color that would work better -- an orange might end up looking strange against some tiles, and a brown might undermine the very color fun you're going for. If you just don't want to see the grout lines anymore, you might try to match the middlemost tannish brown color.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    17 days ago

@acm you did well. That doesn’t look bad at all. I appreciate you taking the time to throw a color on the grout lines. I may try a test area behind the microwave.

• nelliebean
    15 days ago

I agree with acm and would leave the blacksplash.

• HU-910663146
    15 days ago

The countertop is the problem, not the color of the grout in the backsplash. A brownish/orange would look nice but honestly what you have for grout color now is fine.

• doods
    15 days ago

Love your kitchen just as it is, it is warm, cozy and pulled together in a lovely traditional way. You have a good eye. Also like the grout color acm did.

• Jacqueline B
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you to everyone that provided suggestions.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

I'd leave it alone until you're ready to replace the countertops and backsplash. Changing the grout color won't provide a significant change because the tile itself is what it is.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus