Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_newman72

What would you coordinate with this fabric?

Suzanne Newman
17 days ago

I have always been a French Country Girl. My dining room is small, doesn't get much light, and lately I have fallen in LOVE with chinoiserie. The walls are a mossy green-and my dishes are displayed in my white french country china cabinet. There is a nice chandelier, and a round navy rug. Everything in my house is pretty much in blues. (Ignore these chairs- they are being replaced.)

We are renters- so no painting the walls, and actually, I love green walls with wainscotting, and it compliments all the blue in my house.

Here's the question: On either side of the french door in the dining room I saw this fabric, and I think it would be PERFECT as a curtain panel on each side of the door. (I would run the curtain rod to the end of the wall, so the curtains don't cover the door.) (Fabric sample is below)

Do I stay with maybe an ikat or complimentary blue fabric, and keep it safe with white chairs? (Boring) but what I have learned is that chinoiserie style is bold, happy, and unexpected. I really want to go that direction!

What I do not want to do is change out the rug. SO what do you think? How would you make this small dining area FUN, a bit on the bold side, and unexpected?

Comments (42)

• PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

I understand you're keeping the navy rug but the table cloth is too dark. I would remove it if the top is a dark wood place a white runner with a large centre piece decor if it's a white top, just the centre piece decor. For dining, you can add some colourful hot pink place mats and napkins.

Suzanne Newman thanked lisedv
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I should have said I wasn't going to keep the tablecloth. Yes- agree. It's too dark. Also, I am getting new chairs because these ones are worn out. Also, I LOVE that you did a rendering of the curtains by the door! They DO totally brighten up the space!

• Cara Fidler
    16 days ago

As it us, the white chairs, china cupboard are such a stark contrast. I would paint the chairs and the china cupboard the same color of blue that is in your china pattern. I would ditch that tablecloth. You could then extend the fabric on both sides of the french doors and that would look really nice with the blue of the chairs and china cupboard.

Suzanne Newman thanked Cara Fidler
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Cara, I am purchasing some chippendale chairs, and will be doing just that! Question- if I paint the chairs blue, what color would you do the seats in?? Paint the china cabinet, huh? Wow-- might be fun! I think the china cabinet with the green walls, might be too dark against the green wall, but what about a light blue or yellow?

• Cara Fidler
    16 days ago

I would probably do the seats in white or possibly the same color blue. For the china cabinet a light blue or yellow would look nice. Good luck!

• PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

Suzanne Newman:

A few questions:

- what colour is your table top? wood or white?

- did you buy your Chippendale chairs? if so, please post a picture.

- you say you plan to paint the new chairs blue, what colour of blue?

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Right now, all my dining furniture is white- including the table. They ALL should likely be repainted! I am looking at two separate fixer upper chairs on FB marketplace. Which do you like better?

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I'm planning on painting the chairs a royal/darker blue in high gloss.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    16 days ago

Turn the table on the diagonal. Your space will seem larger this way.

Your lighting is too harsh because the light bulbs are dialed all the way up. That's not how candle chandeliers are supposed to work.

Either dial the wattage of the bulbs down to a 'candlelight' level, or install shades on the bulbs so you have the brightness you need, but no one goes blind looking at the bulbs

Suzanne Newman thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Beverly, thank you! I turned the light way up to get the photo. LOL

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

OK, so now you are all convincing me to swap out the rug! LOL

• worthyvess
    16 days ago

Brilliant Beverly!
    You can always switch out the rug, maybe wait?
    The color of the chairs is a crucial decision, that is going to be a lot of work!
    LOVE the rendering with that fabric!
    Maybe hang the curtains and go from there?
    Maybe pick the chairs that are the healthiest.

Suzanne Newman thanked worthyvess
  • PRO
    lisedv
    16 days ago

Yes to turning the chairs in a diagonal, the space will seem larger and easier to get around (unfortunately couldn't show with the proper angle below). I prefer the wood chairs with the red, and wouldn't touch the wood except to touch-up if needed. I think the dark wood chairs with the white table would be more elegant than a painted chair. A bright cherry red upholstery fabric coordinates nicely with your drapery fabric. A bright blue vase would complement the look...

• worthyvess
    16 days ago

Suzanne I love the wood chairs too, they are so interesting and different! So much easier to leave them too! If you love them grab them! Good stuff flies off FB marketplace!

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

What do you think of this for a dining chair seat cover?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Wow, what a breath of fresh air--such a nice change from the usual gray rooms on Houzz.

Love your china, cabinet, and the fabric would be great for curtains.

I would definitely prefer the chairs in the first photo--they are definitely Chippendale, the others are not. And I would keep them as is, you already have the painted white china cabinet and the chairs would be a nice counter point to it.

Not a fan of the fabric you posted above for the chair seats--how about a red, blue or green and white buffalo or gingham check? Checks are a classic companion to chinoiserie.

Another suggestion for the French doors would be wood or bamboo shades. They work very nicely with patterned curtain panels, and add an organic touch to a room.

You don't really need a tablecloth at all--a runner with plates on chargers is a more updated look. BTW, I know you said your table is white, but what does it look like?

Suzanne Newman thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Diana, you are right. I changed the seat cover fabric up. It matches very well- not too dark.

The table is white, and definitely needs a fresh coat of paint. It's on the list to repaint this year. It's a typical claw foot round table that has a leaf in the center if we choose. It's a 42 inch round. The previous paint job looks like crap due to the roller I used that made the paint look like orange peel. UGH. Thus, I will need to thoroughly sand and get a better roller next time.

My china is inherited from my mother. Royal Copenhagen's "Blue Fluted- Half Lace." I love it, and I like that the curtains almost mimic the dark blue scrolling. Thank you again and again for your ideas and support!

• PRO
    16 days ago

You might check out the work of the famed French Country designer, Charles Faudree. Here's a link to a Designer Spotlight on him prior to his death at 75. You might get some great ideas!

https://everydayliving.me/2015/06/01/its-all-in-the-mix/

Also check out Pierre Frey and Pierre Deux.

• worthyvess
    16 days ago

A small more subtle pattern seems like it would fit better… the chairs are busy (in a good way!) and with the curtains it might be too much.
    That link Diana posted is awesome for ideas! It seems like he used soft colors in the same families as he mixed patterns. I screen shot one of the pictures with curtains reminiscent of yours.
    Personally I would do a smaller pattern (chicken non-professional that I am!)

• PRO
    16 days ago

Don’t be afraid of pattern!!!!

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Diana, I agree! The dining room is where you come together to experience joy, laughter, and fun! I want my dining room to make a statement to that!. Those curtains are HAPPY! I also love that they match my china so well!

I also have a bunch of chinoiserie- (mostly blue/white), but with this pattern, I can see myself branching out to collecting new colors!

What you didn't see, is there is a built in hutch right at the entrance to the dining room with open shelving. It will be fun doing something with that too!

Thank you SO MUCH for your support and encouragement! You're incredible!

• PRO
    15 days ago

You're welcome--it's easy when you really connect with the style!

Another thought--you might consider painting the inside of the white hutch the color of the walls. That would really show off the beautiful blue onion china pattern.

• apple_pie_order
    15 days ago

Do you have a link to the Chinoiserie fabric?

• PRO
    15 days ago

Some ideas for you:

Blue and white check with tree of life pattern. Lots of white.

Family Farmhouse · More Info

Black toile and large check:

French Country Living Room · More Info

Black toile and gingham check:

Feminine Study and Retreat · More Info

Green:

Modern Americana · More Info

Tan/beige:

Enchanted Oaks · More Info

Red with touches of sage green, one of my favorite looks!

Living room · More Info

Red and green French country dining room:

Kim Nichols · More Info

Blue and green:

St. Michael's Chesapeake Bay Estate · More Info

Blue and yellow:

Living Room · More Info

More blue:

Toile Bedroom · More Info

Brown and green:

photos · More Info

Ok, I'll stop now....

• PRO
    15 days ago

Another thought--using several patterns on the fabrics would look great with a natural fiber rug--jute, sisal, seagrass. You'll see that in a lot of the photos above.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

I LOOOOOOOVE chinoiserie. Agree that you should work with the lighter background fabric for the panels. Also, have you thought about Chinese Chippedale chairs? This is the idea, but pick a color from the fabric to finish them in:

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Marblehead Residence · More Info

Suzanne Newman thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    15 days ago

Yes Sabrina, love those Chinese Chippendale chairs!

• la_la Girl
    15 days ago

Love so much of this thread! FWIW my SIL took these style chairs to an auto refinishing shop and got them painted there - they look INCREDIBLE

Suzanne Newman thanked la_la Girl
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    15 days ago

OK all--- The chinoiserie fabric of my curtains are in the middle. I am picking up Chippendale Chairs this evening and want to redo them. Sorry, but they'll be painted a shade of blue to match the fabric we choose for the seats. Which one is your favorite??

• K. Ellis
    15 days ago

I just want to say, I LOVE what you are doing here! My style for sure!

Suzanne Newman thanked K. Ellis
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

I like the top right fabric that looks like lattice. Would be perfect.

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Sabrina, that one is definitely in top three for me. Thank you!

• latifolia
    15 days ago

Love French country myself. As to choosing chairs, sit in them. The most important feature of dining room chairs is comfort. You don't want your guests squirming after an hour.

My dining room curtains are antique French fabric, bordered in silk Vichy, which my decorator helped me choose.

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Very good point, and I agree. I am going with this fixer-upper

Chippendale chair, and plan on beefing up the seat when I recover after painting it. I'm picking them up tonight.

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Good morning, everyone! I picked up the chairs last night and they are solid. The wood truly is unsavable- and thus, it affirms my decision to paint them. For all of you who chimed in on what fabric to use to cover the seats the decision was made easy when looking at my china pattern. See the match?? Isn't that crazy??

Anyway, you all convinced me to change out the area rug. I'll be looking for something lighter. Should I do a contrasting color with the chair fabric, like yellow or green?? OR I could paint the chairs a light blue. This is so fun, and I am enjoying seeing ALL of your comments!! You have totally been a part of this, and I am grateful!

• latifolia
    14 days ago

Take a look at nice, older hand-knotted Oriental rugs. There are some good values to be had.

Suzanne Newman thanked latifolia
  • Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Just ordered this for the color of the chairs!

• PRO
    14 days ago

I love that yellow--congratulations on your choice!

And for the rug, a sisal, jute or seagrass would be perfect. Not too expensive, and a casual look that would work great with your fabric.

As I said previously, I'd do a check on the chairs. Not loving that blue with the circles, but that's just my opinion. If you don't like checks, then what about a woven fabric? It would stand up to use better than a cotton or linen print.

These bright green geometrics would look awesome on your yellow chairs:

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/cobblestone_w74218/material/woven-fabrics/colorway/spring_919/

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/merritt_w74254/material/woven-fabrics/colorway/spring_919/

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/sadie_w73508/material/woven-fabrics/colorway/green_30/

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/ming_trail_w775476/material/woven-fabrics/colorway/green_30/

• PRO
    lisedv
    14 days ago

Not the exact same model of chair but gives an idea of the chair colour with the blue upholstery you like...

• Suzanne Newman
    Original Author
    14 days ago

LOVE this!!! Thanks so much Lisedv!

• JP L
    14 days ago

I just want to say I LOVE your style and how you're embracing bold patterns and color. It's a breath of fresh air!

Suzanne Newman thanked JP L