Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_455458186

Please recommend good matching upholstered chairs for table

Jason
16 days ago

Can someone suggest some good matching upholstered chairs for the below Pottery Barn dining table in VINTAGE AMBER/espresso color? The chairs sold by Pottery Barn are extremely expensive and have a long delivery timeline. I would like to buy the chairs on Amazon or Wayfair. Just some sample styles that would match this table. I don't have any design sense to choose/pick.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Depending on your style and how formal the room is, you might consider some of these:

Belle Mid-Century Modern Solid Wood Dining Chair, Set of 2 · More Info

Costway Set of 4 Style Metal Dining Side Chair Wood Seat Stackable Bistro Cafe · More Info

GDF Studio Script Printed Linen Dining Chairs, Set of 2 · More Info

Gear Dining Side Chair, Walnut · More Info

Ultra Dining Chair (set of 2) · More Info

Uttermost Laurens Gray Accent Chair · More Info

GDF Studio Stuart Dining Chair, Set of 2, Beige · More Info

• PRO
    16 days ago

Laney Wooden Dining Chairs With Cushions, Set of 2, Beige/Natural/Dark Brown · More Info

Safavieh Avita Wicker Dining Chairs, Set of 2, Brown Multi · More Info

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Really like Ultra Dining Chair (set of 2) . But my question is how to pick the color of the chair legs for the table that has a specific espresso color on Pottery Barn? In other words, does the color need to match exactly? Or should I chose the chairs with the black legs since black is kind of a neutral color?

• Maureen
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Can you show room, to get a better sense of your style. In regards to chairs, the length of the table is important when selecting the chair’s bulk. Did you prefer upholstered, wood or leather for example and what is your budget?

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Here it is below. The photo is not the best, but the walls are painted with Pure White. The room size is also highlighted on the floor plaan below.

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Any other suggestions?

• PRO
    16 days ago

To answer your question about the wood color--it doesn't need to match exactly, but I wouldn't go too light with the table you chose. Can you go to a Pottery Barn and see their chairs in person with the table? Or can you get a wood sample? Unfortunately there's no way to "see" the true colors online, you need to see them in person.

I like the Ultra chairs as well. The room is very nicely proportioned and has good architectural features. As long as you're not going for super rustic/farmhouse, I think those chairs would work nicely.

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

" Can you go to a Pottery Barn and see their chairs in person with the table " Yes, I will do that. The problem with their chairs is that 1) they are around $500/piece 2) you have to choose the custom upholstery colors for most (which is another challenge for me - since I don't understand this at all), and you have to wait for delivery for 12+ weeks. I don't want to pay $2000 for the 4 chairs, frankly.

• PRO
    16 days ago

I totally get that you don’t want to spend that much on chairs. You probably can get a better deal on Wayfair, but you’ll have to take a leap of faith on the colors

• Maureen
    16 days ago

Given the wall‘s molding and the feel of the space in general, assume you might want chairs that lean contemporary/more refined vs modern farmhouse and think the style of Ultra chair would work really well. It would mean a third wood tone though.

Only because of the above (and you still have other pieces to add), if possible, I’d go with legs that are closer to the table.

Jason thanked Maureen
  • housegal200
    16 days ago

Light upholstery balance dark table but echoes it with wood legs.

Nexus Modern Walnut Wood Finishing Greyish Beige Fabric Dining Armchair set of 2 · More Info

Upholstery depends on color scheme, budget.

Space Savers Nido Chair, Blue, Set of 2 · More Info

Modrest Williamette Modern Fabric Dining Chair, Dark Gray · More Info

• Maureen
    16 days ago

Hard to know and are you ok with corduroy? Be sure you are aware of the return policy just in case.

Are there any local stores you could visit, sit on, test at home. Decent, durable chairs are not inexpensive; maybe consider Marketplace, as new items are often listed. Found these in minutes.

• PRO
    16 days ago

Of course you could do the chairs with the black legs, but it wouldn't be my choice. I'd go with any of the chairs with the dark brown legs. The Jia above is very nice.

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Diana and Maureen, what do you think about the Tuscan Chestnut color of this table for my room? https://www.potterybarn.com/products/toscana-extending-dining-table-seadrift/?pkey=cdining-tables Looks like the color I originally wanted (Vintage Amber which is kind of Espresso like color) is not available to ship until August.

• Maureen
    16 days ago

It has a warmer feel and you might have an easier time to find chairs.

• Jason
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I will go to the store and take a look in person. I agree that it's hard to see on the screen. If you have any chair recommendations from Wayfair or Amazon, please let me know. Thanks so much for your help!

• Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I’m not a pro and Diana may provide more professional advice.

- Regarding Wayfair/Amazon, be sure to read their return policy/fees. Suggest ordering only one chair (or one set) in case you don’t like the quality/look.

- Given chair quality (and style) are so important, invest as much as you can.

- Read the reviews and I find the pictures people provide are extremely helpful and have often swayed me from buying.

Your table is on the PB site with these chairs. If you like the look, I found similar ones on Wayfair and there are lots more that are similar.

Not sure where you live, but if there is a Structube and Article, they have decent prices and quality. Be sure to look at the big picture vs just how they complement table; how will they influence additional choices in dining room - two different below.

Structube:

Article:

• la_la Girl
    15 days ago

Just a plug for Facebook marketplace - i have seen super nice PB dining tables and chairs on ours pretty regularly. If you can be a bit patient, there are a lot of deals on there

• PRO
    15 days ago

So I'm having second thoughts about where you should get the chairs. Dining chairs, actually any chairs, get a lot of use. If you buy low quality, you may find that in a few years they aren't holding up well. It might be more sensible to spend more on the chairs now and keep them for a long time.

Now I'm not saying that PB chairs are high quality--you may not find that to be true. But it may be worth more in the long run to purchase them from a better quality store where you can view them and determine how sturdy they are in person, rather than buy online and have to return them. Not sure where you are located, but you might want to see what brick and mortar stores are in your area. JMHO.

• Jason
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I am in the NYC metro area. My new apartment is in Westchester Country a few miles north of New York City. Any good store chains that you can recommend for the chairs?

• PRO
    15 days ago

The NY Metro area has OODLES of furniture stores, from Bob's Warehouse to Safavieh to Crate and Barrel, and on and on. You could go into Manhattan for some really upscale stores as well, including the NY Design Center, if you work with a designer.

You can also go to estate sales in upscale neighborhoods, like Bronxville, Chappaqua and Bedford. There are also thrift stores that sell high-quality items from the 1930s onward, stuff that the Baby Boomers' kids don't want.

In my opinion, furniture is an investment, so I always recommend getting the best you can afford. Buy it once and keep it forever. Most of my furniture is either 35+ years old and going strong. I don't believe in disposable furniture.

Here's a Yelp listing for stores in Westchester:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=furniture&find_loc=Westchester+County%2C+NY

• Jason
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I went to the store in NYC and looked at this table. Unfortunately, they only had it in the Seadrfit (light) color. They also had a matching buffet in that same light color that looks super cute. Here is the whole collection below. What do you think about this table color for my room? Is it too light?

• PRO
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

It really depends on the look you’re going for in the room and in the apartment. The lighter one is a casual kind of beachy look. The darker is a kind of rustic look like in a mountain cabin. Which one do you prefer?

• Jason
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I don't know. I just want it to look nice and presentable to the other people. I am not personally picky and don't have much personal sense about these things. That's why I am asking for advice. To me all these colors look fine. And the buffet looks much better in a lighter color, thought.

• Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

You’ve given a lot of thought in trying to figure out the right chairs with your table choice - not easy. A set is great way to go as it takes out the guess work and it seems you quite like the look. It has a lighter more casual look, which is very popular and it will work well with the flooring. An important consideration, due to the adjoining living room, is that both spaces have a similar feel. This photo might help to judge if you like an overall feel of going lighter, which I think is a nice look.

• PRO
    15 days ago

Well if you don't have a personal preference, go with what they have in stock and you can get delivered quickly. I like the light color a lot, and if you like the sideboard in that color, then go for it.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz