Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacerawk

Need help with marble installation - is this damaged?

Stacerawk
16 days ago

We just had our marble countertops installed yesterday and this is along one edge. It looks like it was damaged and they tried to glue it back together. I called them and they are supposed to be coming back out. The slab did not look like this when we chose it. Does it look damaged to anyone else? There are no other places on either slab that look like this.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Can you feel it when you run your fingers over it? If yes, then it is some sort of crack. If no, then it's probably a natural feature of the stone.

However, if you didn't see it when you selected it, then something obviously happened.

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Yes, I can feel it, its lower than the rest of the polished slab and bumpy.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

Can you take a photo from the edge to see if there is anything raised? ...

Hopefully one of our stone gurus will chime in.

But the little I see of the stone sure does look pretty!!!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Will do, thank you!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Yes its gorgeous!

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Your marble is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!

Did you take photos when you selected your slab? I’m currently hunting for marble slabs for my kitchen - and when I see one that I really like, I take multiple photos.

Where on the countertop is the issue located (in front of sink/along side of island/etc.)?

Does the place where you purchased it have more slabs from the same lot?

I would be very disappointed - especially because it appears to have been damaged and a repair made to it - and wasn’t pointed out to you. Accidents happen - and if it was repaired well, and you were given a discount, it might be fine. It just upsets me when people aren’t upfront about issues. If you carefully examined the slab before purchasing (which I imagine you did since that marble is $$$), it seems like you wouldn’t have missed it.

Please let us know what happens after the fabricator/installers come over and take a look!

P.S. You need to post more photos of your kitchen - I bet it’s amazing!

• PRO
    Minardi
    16 days ago

THey need a better "Fixer". If someone with skils repaired that, you would never know it was damaged. The rest of the slab does have repairs, from the factory, that are not really obvious. That's the level of repair that should be expected on the edge. It's a difficult location for a repair though. They need the better guy.

Stacerawk thanked Minardi
  • Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I agree 100000%! There are no more slabs where we purchased these unfortunately. I took a ton of pics but none up close like that - more of the whole slab in general. My first time doing any of this so we just didnt know to do that. We did inspect the slab and that wasnt there at all, I just dont have the pictures.

We absolutely love the marble and cant believe this is out kitchen! My husband and father in law did all of the work, took down a wall and everything. The hood we built from a kit from Archways and Ceilings and would you believe - those are ikea cabinets!!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

The bad edge is right along the side where people sit :( so Im afraid everyone will notice it.

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Heres a pic of the side. Ill report back after the fabricator comes out!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Heres the whole kitchen - almost done!

• Hellogardener
    16 days ago

Very nice!

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Wow! Looks beautiful!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you!!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

Well, it seems as if it was definitely repaired, and not very well.

Too bad it wasn't in an inconspicuous spot. It will be interesting to see what the fabricator says.

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Right! Hoping we can get this fixed at least so its not so glaring.

• worthyvess
    16 days ago

I can’t tell from the picture but it could be filler in a natural defect in the stone?
    Is that marble or quartzite?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Looks like maybe a pop out happened when cutting and filled? But I'm not a stone expert. These repairs are normal to have with natural stone. Most times you never see them. With the stones with the mesh backing...they tend to get a lot more pop outs and resin fills. I have a display top that is very obviously filled....kept it that way in my showroom as an education tool. :-)

Hopefully a stone person will chime in here (Where's Joe?)

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

It’s marble. That’s what I think it sounds like happened too. They just need to fix it better it sounds like. The rest of the slab is polished and that part is not so it’s even more obvious. Even if they just polish it so it’s similar it would look better.

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you Joe!

• Stacerawk
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Update for everyone and Joe was right (we knew he would be!) it’s just a natural vein and they will be coming back out next week to do a better job of polishing that area.