Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanern1

Need opinions on windows

Alicia
16 days ago

Hello! We are undergoing a kitchen remodel and trying to decide on window size. Our windows look out onto our backyard which is several acres and we love the idea of having large windows. We have two options for window sizes - I think they are both pretty large. I've attached the two options. Please ignore the muntins vs no muntins difference - the question only relates to window size and lighting. Both options will have mono point lighting above the windows coming from the beam so there will be task lighting in both scenarios.

Option A) Larger windows, no sconces on either side of window. Space is very narrow so tiling wall may be silly.

Option B) Narrower windows, room for sconces on either side of window. Also leaves room for tiling the wall.

Comments (18)

• acm
    16 days ago

I think that side sconces aren't that much use here -- much better to have down lights over task zones, maybe a gooseneck over your sink. Additionally, I suspect that the left sconce, as drawn, would interfere with the opening of the cabinet(s) on the left wall. You might find, however, that it's better to have a bit more wall just to fit in the outets and switches you'll need there.

• chispa
    16 days ago

Looks like the ceilings aren't that high and the windows aren't that tall, so I would go with the wider windows.

I have triple windows over my kitchen sink that are 5 ft tall, but I have 12 ft ceilings!

• kevin9408
    16 days ago

The 2nd picture, the 1st is to much window for the space.

• elcieg
    16 days ago

A.

• kandrewspa
    16 days ago

The wider ones are better except I would make sure they're not so close to the counter that you can't have about 4" of backsplash over the sink. It would not be ideal to have water splashing on a window all the time. I agree that sconces wouldn't be a positive in this situation.

• lharpie
    16 days ago

Whats in the left corner? it doesn’t look like sconce will work there so i would do bigger window. i wouldn’t do cab to counter between sink and stove either.

• Olychick
    16 days ago

I would love working in a kitchen with that huge window! Your guy seems to be enjoying the view!

• dan1888
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Large or even larger window. Get the most out of the view.

Marvin Modern.

Our Modern products are designed to work together visually as a modular system. Consistent product profiles allow you to design with ease and confidence, and maintain narrow sightlines that are less than 3" even on mulled units

• Fits openings up to 12 feet by 8 feet
    • Frame recess accepts a drywall return for seamless integration
    • Horizontal or vertical ribbon mulling capabilities

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    16 days ago

I would absolutely do the larger windows. Please make sure there is enough backsplash height for the outlets. There has been a lot of discussion on the codes for the outlets near the sink.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@lharpie why no cab to counter?

• lucky998877
    16 days ago

I have 5' tall windows down to the counter and LOVE it! The light that comes in is fabulous...and your eye goes straight out. I added my sconces between the windows to provide the space for the code required outlets.

• lharpie
    16 days ago

In front of that lovely window between sink and stove will be your prime prep space. you’ll want open counter there to use for prepping. besides which how do you ooen the cabinet if you are using the space?

• Alicia
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@lharpie it’s been such a dilemma for me to decide on whether to keep that glass cabinet to counter. Visually it so pretty and it balances out the refrigerator on the opposite side of the range but I agree it takes away some functionality re: the countertop space. I’ve been trying to decide whether it would really be that big of a deal since there’s so much island countertop space that can be used and we really only plan to put things like wine glasses etc in there - don’t expect to need to open it much during cooking. But you make a great point. Here is the inspiration - our kitchen has the same situation with fridge on other side:

• mcarroll16
    15 days ago

I'm with lharpie on the cabinet. That is prime prep space, and you do not want to compromise function there. We have a very similar layout, and our island is used a lot for prep, but so is that corner space. It's especially crucial when two or more people are working at once and sharing the sink.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    15 days ago

I would have to agree about the cabinet to the counter. I had it in one kitchen and could not wait to get rid of it. I prefer to work on one continuous piece of top. Plus I do find that when I'm working around the sink and prepping, I am a little messy , so that can mess up the cabinet.

Maybe if it were narrower?

Just a thought. It really depends on what sort of cook you are. Plenty of things look great but that doesn't mean they will function well. If you have a corner in your kitchen now between sink and stove, try putting a box or something there blocking off the counter and see how you feel.

Good luck!

• Alicia
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks everyone - I’ve decided to get rid of that
    Cabinet to counter thanks to your comments.

• PRO
    Fresh Remodel
    8 days ago

For your kitchen remodel with a view of a spacious backyard, opting for larger windows can enhance natural light and the connection to the outdoors. In your scenario, where space is narrow, choosing larger windows without sconces (Option A) can maximize natural light and the view, creating a more open and airy feel. Additionally, the mono point lighting above the windows will provide task lighting, ensuring functionality. Tiling the wall in this setup may not be necessary due to the limited space. This design choice can help create a bright and inviting kitchen space that feels connected to the expansive outdoor area.