Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diercknm

Exterior Update to Tudor House

diercknm
16 days ago

Looking for advice on what to do on the upper section of my house. The current boards are rotted, and I am re-dashing my stucco, so i have the opportunity to completely change the wood framing. If I remove all boards, I think it will look like too much stucco, but want to make some updates to increase the curb appeal. Ideas?

Comments (13)

• JP L
    15 days ago

Those boards make your house special; if you remove them - congratulations - you have an oddly proportioned stucco house. If you have to replace, replace in kind.

• diercknm
    Original Author
    15 days ago

The roof is being updated to asphalt shingles, so I can change the roof to any color as well

• houssaon
    15 days ago

I agree that the design of the timbers is so charming. So I would keep them the same when you replace.

I would do a paint scheme where there is not a high contrast of the timber to the stucco.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    15 days ago

Agree with common sense above. Once wood is replaced, you could do all Sam exterior color but use a flat finish on the body and a satin finish on the wood. You retain the personality but really tone down the contrast. A roof in a slate look would suit the period if you can swing the budget. Good luck. A charming home that is worth preserving. Research on line homes of this vintage and see what was done back then. Take your questions from that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    15 days ago

Boy, sorry for all the auto corrects in my previous post. Drives me crazy. I meant I agree with previous comments. I meant “do exterior all same color …but change the degree of shine from flat on body to satin on trim.” Take your “ques” from what you learn in research.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    15 days ago

Auto-correct is so annoying. I find it helpful to re-read a post before I hit "send." Or turn off the auto-correct function. I find that typing too fast and sending too quickly always results in my posting something I didn't mean to say!

• cat_ky
    15 days ago

Keep it just like it is, if boards need replacing, replace them, just like they are. Also keep the brown roof color. Its perfect for your tudor. Its a very cute house, please dont change it from what it is, to something it isnt.

• Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Your house is so sweet! I’m in the minority by suggesting not to replace the trim as is. Create interest in totality with color, front door, roof, and new board design. The feel below is less Tudor and more English cottage - if interested in that look.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    15 days ago

If you're needing to replace the roof, do it in a medium gray. Then light gray-toned stucco and darker gray or sage green trim.

• apple_pie_order
    15 days ago

Is the trim under the windows brick or boards?

The "Weathered Wood" color of asphalt shingles has both blue and brown. It looks good with both warm and cool colors, so you can change your paint colors over the life of the roof.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I would go with dark body and light trim.

• houssaon
    14 days ago

Is your roof Ludowici clay tiles? If so, don't replace, repair.