Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpl

waterfall countertop for kitchen island … made from wood

Meg Gal
15 days ago

Anyone has considered a countertop with waterfall effect made of wood (not granite or quartz)? Where would you order such counter? Any pros or cons for using wood? Two pros I could think of is that the wood would not be as heavy as the granite and it would have a “warm” feeling if an island is used for sitting … con might be the up-keep. Any thoughts?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

IMO waterfall counters are best in very contemporary kitchens so post a pic of the kitchen and some clue as to your actual style. As for weight a good wood counter is not light weight either and it weight is an issue you will need to consider the structure of the home . Any good wood worker can do this style but I need more info. Post all new info her ein a comment DO NOT start another post

• PRO
    Minardi
    15 days ago

The miter will swell and shrink through the seasons, and open up a gap, if you do not have pinpoint humidity control inside your house, in all seasons. Mitered edges expose the most cross grain joining of any type of joint, and have the most movement.

If you do this, you need a high skills woodworker or cabinet maker to do something like a dovetailed splined miter joint. This is not going to be any type of money saver. It will cost more than a basic stone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Put a wood top on a modern feeling island with slab doors, or no doors/drawers. You don't need a waterfall to get warmth.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 days ago

It seems like it would look like a bench, not a counter -- like the pics posted above do.

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you All! … I love how they look. The granite alone seems morbid looking (tombstone) … wood def warms it up… don’t you think?

• HU-910663146
    15 days ago

What is that wood by the floor going to look like after the cleaning lady comes through with all her chemicals and cleaning appliances. That bottom edge will absorb water. It will look like a beat up toe kick if you are not careful.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

You are asking for agreement, you need a skilled craftsman, and you can't just "order it".

So do as you like and p.a. y : )

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    15 days ago

The photos you posed look very beautiful, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost and effort. You could get the same effect if you used a wood top, or if you did a stained wood island.

And you could add wood elsewhere for warmth.

• PRO
    Kimberli Saunders
    15 days ago

It would be far cheaper to just do the island in a stained wood finish. High end custom wood tops like that cost way more than most stone tops. And that is if you can find someone with enough skills to make it happen. It's not just go buy a $200 piece of butcher block from a box store and throw it up there, and glue another to a side. Any DIYer can make it looks like a Hobby Lobby craft project.

• skmom
    15 days ago

I can’t seem to get a photo to post right now, but my last home had a solid walnut waterfall countertop for our kitchen island. It only had the waterfall on one side, not both because I wanted a towel bar and electrical outlet on the non waterfall side. Pros were that it was comfortable to sit at and it was stunning! Cons were that it required more attention and upkeep than stone. We had an undermount sink in that island, so we used Waterlox to finish the wood. I don’t know where you’d get someone to do that... my husband built ours since he is a very talented woodworker with top of the line tools. (I did the Waterlox finish myself) Maybe check into your local woodworkers stores to see if they can put you in touch with anyone? For us it was ‘cheaper’ than stone if you only count the cost of the walnut and Waterlox. But if you count the cost of tools and experience it was a LOT more expensive than stone. If we had to pay someone else to make us what my hubby achieved then it would’ve been an absolute budget buster. But it sure was the star of the kitchen. Heck, I’d argue that it was the star of the entire home even though it was a beautiful home in a gorgeous neighborhood.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

There's no reason you couldn't do it, but as others have suggested, it will require more maintenance and will likely be pretty expensive. I'd go to a reputable custom cabinetmaker for this. Personally, I think it looks great. It's a splurge that would really look beautiful.

• Meg Gal
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you all! Great discussion… one can dream … right?

• chloe00s
    13 days ago

On HGTV - I think it was a recent Down Home Fab show, they used a prefab sheet of reeded wood on the island, and commented that it was an inexpensive solution.

• chloe00s
    13 days ago

P.S - reeded wood on the sides, not the top!