Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucktuckgoose

Midcentury home, help us modernize it! New siding color and roof

MT
15 days ago

We are adding Hardie V-Groove horizontal siding to our home and need help picking a color! We have a 1940 cinderblock home with a 1952 glass foyer/living room addition by midcentury architect, Charles Goodman. See photo. We would appreciate help with a color choice, whether we could potentially add a wood accent and general tips to modernize and streamline the look of this home! We are covering the cinderblock and old T1-11 siding on a back addition.

We are drawn to dusky/smoky blues, charcoals or modern gray/greens. We likely need to keep the trim white as we aren't installing new windows, but we could potentially paint them. We don't want to keep a high contrast look of super dark siding and white trim, so if we went that route, what color should we paint the trim/windows? Same as the siding? We are also getting a new shingled roof, most likely in a charcoal color. We live in a humid Virginia climate with very green lush landscaping. Our hardscapes are gray concrete front walkway and bluestone patios. The front door is practially hidden from the street. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (16)

• mcarroll16
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Your home is beautiful! I would do a mid-tone gray with white trim. Something that accentuates the strong simple mid-century lines, and also complements the beautiful landscaping. A darker blue color could also be lovely.

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

I love the blue.

For a similar look consider Benjamin Moore 'Wales Gray'. They describe it as a traditional blue with gray undertones.

As for the roof, not too dark a charcoal, and a uniform shingle color.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/1585/wales-gray

Here is the darker version called 'Silver Mink' It won't wash out in the sun.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/1586/silver-mink

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago

I love your home. Not sure why you think adding siding on top of concrete block/stucco is money worth spending. Maybe a skim coat over the block to smooth it?? Here's a ranch house with siding, and I'm not sure you should downgrade your home with siding.

I like this color on stucco below. It could look great on your home.

Looks as though the roof could use some attention. Your home would look great with an upgraded metal roof.

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

A metal roof as suggested ^^... with Silver Mink:

• Lyn Nielson
    15 days ago

SW Interesting Aqua, Alabaster and Mandarin ...

SW Interesting Aqua

• tracefloyd
    15 days ago

suggested above ^^

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago

A corrugated metal roof might be a very good choice for your home.

• K. Ellis
    15 days ago

Check out these colors:

• Granite Peak SW 6250
    • Laurel Woods SW 7749
    • Autumnal SW 6361 (for a door, possibly?)
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago

I would go with gray/charcoal/black roof , off-white/white siding and gray window trim.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago

White on white or off-white looks good as well

MT thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • RedRyder
    15 days ago

If you just paint the stucco, you can use the money for a metal roof. The soft blue shades posted would be stunning.

I would reconsider the siding idea. Several of the above photos are more interesting renditions of your home.

• MT
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to comment! To clarify, we do not have stucco, we have 1940's cinderblock that is in pretty bad/uneven shape. The painted cinderblock is not a good look, nor is the cheap t1-11 siding on the back addition. Stucco homes in our area tend to crack or have moisture issues due to humidity. We want one siding type to bring the whole house together. Ongoing maintenance is a factor, as well.

The v-groove siding we selected will have mitered corners (no corner trim boards) for a modern look. It is not the Hardie plank "lap" siding put on most traditional homes. We are also considering adding stained wood to the "bump out" in front with the 3 windows. We could do that horizontally or vertically, though I am concerned about this looking too "on trend" now and dated in a few years. Currently that bump out is vertical painted wood paneling that has a lot of rot.

We are replacing the roof, if that was unclear. We'll need to stick to shingles due to cost as we also have to replace a large flat roof with costly TPO.

Additional recommendations welcome! Thanks again!

• millworkman
    14 days ago

" Hardie V-Groove horizontal siding "

What siding is this as I am not sure that I have seen a V-groove horizontal siding?

• MT
    Original Author
    14 days ago
  • tracefloyd
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I would skim coat as mentioned for the cinderblock. It sounds a lot better than more siding and would give a great look.

If the vertical paneling on the bump out is original, that could be a consideration to restore the look.