Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_853833833

T&G Exterior Ceiling - Restoration/Treatment

Larry Arabia
15 days ago

Our exterior soffits and carport ceiling/roof decking (pictured) are pine T&G. At one point they may have been treated with preservative but hard to tell. Were never pained/stained. Original to home, circa 1980.

What would be some courses of action to restore and preserve what remains? There is the typical greying, nail stains, mildew, knot bleeds, etc. So, I am not looking for miracles, just to make it as clean, consistent as possible with an eye toward some kind of renewal and doing what I can to avoid further decay. Above the T&G is just roof decking and asphalt shingles which I will be replacing as well so further leaking issues will be resolved.

I have re-sided the interior and exterior of the carport, which will be painted hardie board and batten, but would love to give this ceiling a cleaner look as it is visible from inside the house.

I will be pressure washing in advance of painting and figured I would try a cleaner/mildew remover on the ceiling and then perhaps some kind of exterior stain or seal. Recommendations appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths