Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_769502233

Will this Chandelier light our dining room enough?

Kate Spadaro
15 days ago

We are very close to ordering this chandelier for our dining room, images below. After a lot of research it seems it might be a little but too wide (36”) for the room which is 11x13 but I am hoping it will still look okay. The ceilings are 10 ft. There is no other lighting in this room currently, and the three windows don’t get a ton of natural light. We are currently using the room as a giant playroom for our two babies, so size of dining table isnt a concern. We just need a light in there! And I want it to make a statement (eventually it will be used as a formal dining room). My questions for this group are - how do I know if it will emit enough light for this room?

There is an option to purchase either linen or natural paper shades – will either make a big difference in terms of the light emitted? They ar slightly different sizes. Which one would you choose and why?

Should I purchase the LED bulbs from them for $128 or buy them myself elsewhere?

Is there anything else I’m overlooking or anything that would indicate that this chandelier is not compatible with my existing junction box?

The price point makes this an investment piece for us. Thanks I’m advance!

https://www.visualcomfort.com/vivian-large-one-tier-chandelier-tob5032/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADwKxXK9fI3RFMyqOOvOc8N8NVlIb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_-39w6XthQMVSjfUAR0CwAaIEAQYASABEgL6nPD_BwE#2461=36031&1651=57841

Comments (10)

• jck910
    15 days ago

Wow it is beautiful but $3000 for a play room?????

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

You do not do a light like that yet!!! It's a play space for quite a while!! You want nothing dangling, nothing hanging down with no table beneath.

You get a flush drum shaded fixture that will give you a lot of light.........like 300 watts: )

• Product Dimensions: 22.0 inches wide, 9.0 inches tall, 12.0 pounds in weight.
    • Canopy Dimensions: .8 inches tall, 5.1 inches wide.
    • Uses 5 light bulbs.
    • Uses Standard Base type bulbs.
    • Produces a maximum wattage of 300 watts.
    • Meridian 5 Light Satin Brass Semi Flush is produced by Livex Lighting, Inc..

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/meridian-5-light-satin-brass-semi-flush__9994d.html

At some point you need some TOY storage. You can add sturdy lamps to that if it tall enough to be out of their reach,

This is something all young parents live through., and it is called "baby ugly" : ) to go with beautiful children.

• Kendrah
    15 days ago

“We are currently using the room as a giant playroom for our two babies, so size of dining table isnt a concern. “

Dining table size will become a concern in the future after you have apent $3k on the light. Im smitten with VC, get why you want the light, but think you need to get something else for now. Get a decent $100-$400 light now to use as a play space. When you are ready to purchase dining furniture, purchase a chandelier at the same time.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

Agree with Jan and Kendrah. I have a similar drum shaped light in my walk in closet and it is beautiful diffused light. The size suggested will,work for your play space for now. Please don’t spend thousands on a chandelier that will look lost in that room without a table.

• kandrewspa
    15 days ago

I have a relative who uses her dining room for another purpose. She got one of the fixtures just like what Jan showed. She did put it on a one foot downrod so it hung down a little bit instead of being close to the ceiling. We tortured my husband for an afternoon, making him try different length rods before we settled on that one looking the best. :-) In any case, I think this type of fixture would be a good choice for you for your purpose. You could always use it later in a different room when you want a real dining room. Save all the downrods in case you do want to use it elsewhere in a different way later.

• palimpsest
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

If you want to install this now, you can remove some of the chain, store it in a well-labeled box, and coil extra wiring in the J box, do you can lower it later when you have a table underneath if necessary.

That dining room is going to carry a certain size of table, within certain parameters, so you could determine what size of table suits the room and your future needs now and base the chandelier size on that. The table is going to be sized within a certain sweet spot above which is too big for the room and below which is too small for both the room and for adequate function. And the chandelier can also be sized primarily according to the room dimensions itself.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    14 days ago

You select the size fixture based on the size of the room and the size of the table.

I'm just guessing on the dimensions of your room, but add the length and the width to get the approx size of the chandelier required.

Your room is not large enough for a 36" diameter fixture.

This isn't your Forever Home. Don't spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a light fixture for this home.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

If I may?

The real point here, is the even the word "formal"

Kids and their friends and the parents of their friends. All of it is real life and there is lot more of that real life, than there are "formal" gatherings with adults in their young lives. Birthday parties, pizza parties, sports !

We all have a real life and the fantasy life that generally is just that. You can make a beautiful room that will suit both purposes. Later...when you have a table and chairs. There will always be lovely lights to suit whatever you select.: )

• Kendrah
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

This isn't your Forever Home. Don't spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a light fixture for this home.

Expensive lighting can move from home to home with you as would your furniture. In our last home we spent a lot on great light fixtures but replaced with inexpensive Home Depot and Wayfair fixtures when we listed the house. We took the expensive lighting with us and installed it in our new home. It was fun to mix it - use our old dining room chandelier in our bedroom, a living room chandelier in our new foyer.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago

Most of the decorative lighting in my house is from the house I grew up in. My sister has a pair of fixtures from there that have moved with her to two other houses. If you can change a light fixture because it's not age- or use- appropriate, you can also change it when you move.