Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_46318579

Help me design my living room!

Kt Dc
15 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Just bought my first home and I am terrified of buying new things as I am worried about doing a layout I hate or just does not work! Anyone want to assist on what type of furniture / layout? We have an open concept living kitchen space. We have a pendant light over the designated "dining area" and a chandelier over the living room space. I want to somehow break the space up. There is only really one place for the TV without having backlight of windows. Please see attached J peg and the only idea I have come up with so far.

This is my first post so let me know if you need more info and I will edit accordingly. Desired aesthetic is modern organic, and we are ready to get rid of all of our current furniture (which is all black brown finish. Thanks in advance!

Please note: my Diagram is NOT to scale. I did this in publisher for visual purposes only.

EDIT: Added photos from the Staging to get a better idea of the space.

Comments (7)

• ptreckel
    15 days ago

I would opt for a couch, not a sectional. It will give you more flexibility. Instead, add two or three chairs. Two matching and, perhaps, another different one. That will give you more room for a dining table. Do you need one as big as you indicate? Wait until you are in the home and can do accurate measurements. An area rug will anchor your living room. Start there. Then build your rooms around it. Congratulations! Take your time! Enjoy the journey!

• partim
    15 days ago

You need 3 feet all around a dining table so people can pull out their chair and walk behind other diners. Same for people sitting at the counter. Your furniture is too large.

• partim
    15 days ago

Maybe a coffee table that rises to dining table height?

• chloebud
    15 days ago

“You need 3 feet all around a dining table…”

Agree…at least 3 feet.

• S J
    15 days ago

I really like how you have it laid out...BUT it appears that your room sizes may not handle the furniture that you have indicated on the images....especially in the dining/bar stool area.

Do this: using graph paper, draw out the rooms according to actual dimensions - include the island as well as windows, doors, other openings, fixed lighting, etc. And then find the dimensions of the furniture you like, cut out pieces of graph paper according to the dimensions, and arrange them in the room.

A few general considerations:

• at least 3' around all sides of a dining table
    • 18" for bar stool seat, plus 2-3' clearance behind
    • 18" between coffee table and seating (some cheat down to 12", but no closer)
    • at least 3' for main passage ways between large pieces of furniture

So - using the average sectional depth of 40", and the average width of each chair of 36", and space between everything, your furniture will land much closer to the tv.

• Kt Dc
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Yeah, I was not thrilled with the LR staging felt like when ppl move the furniture back to accommodate a kids party. What size rug should I be looking at you think? Probably better to consider a sofa, Love seat and chair max? We are only a family of 3 and have a separate family room upstairs for the extra living space. However we do have large extended family that get together frequently.

Any Brand recs?