Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rishabh_agarwal95

bathroom ideas for long floorplan

rishabh agarwal
14 days ago

My wife and i are planning to remodel master bath in our home.
We dont use tub so ideally we want to remove it and extend the shower.
Currently There is a window above the tub.
The problem we feel is that shower will become long and not sure how it will look.
Some of the options we came up with

1. Remove tub and extend the shower with fixed glass panel on half panel
  2. Keep existing tub and just renovate the shower area
  3. Put a small tub (to fill the space under window) and extend the shower little bit.

Adding a picture here with some dimensions

Comments (35)

• Sara D
    14 days ago

If you never use the tub, I would just make the shower larger. Maybe you can somehow incorporate the glazed window just as part of shower wall in the entry and do tile and waterproofing around it. You could probably even fit 2 shower heads in there if you wanted. you could also opt for a wall there with tile instead of glass. Maybe you don’t make the shower massive and you add some additional storage cabinets if you need more storage on the left side. A lot of options, but I'm all for making changes if you’ll get better use out of it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

The best way to decide is provide a full and accurate drawing of the entire bath with dimensions.

Entry points, all.. walls, and fixture locations. Upload it as a jpeg, legible, and add yet more pictures, all angles, in a comment below.

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Adding more photos

• kandrewspa
    14 days ago

What is behind the angled door in the corner between the shower and the sink? Is it a toilet room? How would it look from the outside if you were to change the size or placement of that window? What is the exterior cladding? Brick, stucco or siding? A floorplan drawing would really help people redesign this space.

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Toilet is behind the angled door. Outside is brick, i dont want to move the window due to cost. I will add a floorplan. Thanks again

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Rough floorplan of bathroom

• latifolia
    14 days ago

Expand the shower up to the window, put a vanity under the window, replace the old vanity with a linen closet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I'll be blunt:

There is a lot of very helpful talent on this site. It's as free as the air you are breathing. There is no such thing as "rough or "roughly" for baths, or for kitchens. There are exact feet and inches. We aren't in your space.

If you can grab a ruler, a pencil, a tape measure, and fill in all the dimensions missing on that drawing? Walls, window, angles all? You might get a really decent plan, to scale.

But you have to put in a bit more effort: )

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Adding more details to get some more ideas

• blubird
    14 days ago

Is this room on a concrete slab or on the second floor of your home?

• la_la Girl
    14 days ago

this is going to be a major re-do because the flooring is coming up with the tub removal and you'll have all new waterproofing, tile for the shower - it's a big bathroom, which is lovely but also will be $$$ - are there any kitchen/bath design build firms near you that you could work with? If I were re-doing a master bath this size I would want to make sure I was optimizing the space anf getting the best value for the money

• eld6161
    14 days ago

I would insulate and sheetrock over the window. Then extend the shower. Put in a bench on one end to fill the space.

Depending on your budget, there are other ideas like installing a real .window.

We have this one in our shower

We have a bench in the far end,

We have open it.

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    14 days ago

This bathroom is on first floor of the house so concrete at the bottom.
    Why does flooring needs to be redone if only tub and shower is removed?
    Do you mean the demolition will have some impact on the flooring which may ultimately lead to new floors?

• ffpalms
    14 days ago

I’m intrigued by the idea from latifolia to put a vanity under the window. Building a shallow, floor to ceiling linen cabinet in place of the old vanity would make the floor space less narrow. Glass panels in some of the cabinet doors would reflect light from the window and would be a lovely way to display towels.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 days ago

Our situation is not that differnent with the tub/shower. I plan on moving the shower all the way to the window edge and removing the tub. Put a bench in the former tub area, scale, hooksm for clothes on wall. Our window is in brick on the front of the house so can't be easily changed like yours.

Bonus is that I plan top down , bottom up shades now that I will be able to access the window coverings. It will be so nice to get sun in the bathroom!

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I was thinking the floor would be impacted when you remove the tub (since there‘s hopefully not tile underneath) - and it’s unlikely you would want to just stretch/extend the shower to cover the entire area where the tub was?

If you are wanting the preserve the floor I think that restricts your options along the tub/shower wall

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago

^getting rid of the angled wall and door updates the bath by 20 years

• lkloes
    13 days ago

Jan’s second sketch is the winner, although another option (using her drawing) is to swap locations of the proposed linen closets and vanity so that you’re not backlit by the window when facing the vanity. Getting rid of the angled toilet closet will give you much more room and a more updated look.

• dani_m08
    13 days ago

If you swap the vanity with the linen closet in Jan’s second sketch, the vanity becomes quite a bit smaller - 62” (114” - 48” - 4” = 62”) vs. 84” as shown on both of Jan’s plans.

My current vanity is about 84” - I think losing 22” would be a deal killer for me - unless maybe if I decided to only have one sink.

OP currently has 116” of total vanity space - 71” + 45”. I think changing from two separate vanities to one 62” vanity might also feel a bit crowded to OP.

If I had my own 71” vanity, it would be a big change to start sharing a 62” vanity. Then again, I’ve had an 82 7/8” vanity to myself for awhile + 144 sf closet, and I‘m going to have to re-learn how to share both soon with my SO - so, maybe I’m not the best person to judge if a 62” vanity is too small to share. 😂

OP’s existing layout has a 71” vanity across from the window + the window is glass blocks = less direct sunlight + no trees/houses reflected in the mirror.

Also, in Jan’s second plan, the window is partially blocked by the walls of the WC + can be completely blocked if the pocket door is closed.

OP - does your window currently cause any issues for you due to the light entering the room from behind you when using the mirror above your 71” vanity?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

UNLESS........you substantially move door entries? You do not have unlimited options despite a generous footprint and no tub. The more and further you move water? The more $$$.

I doubt any couple needs more than 84" for a vanity, when combined with a make up area and an easily accessed linen closet.

Your best is probably right here. And the simplest to accomplish, post gut. Refine your own dimensions , or someone else is free to add their own concept : ))

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks guys for the amazing feedback.
    The window is glazed so no issue of glare.

I really like Jan’s last idea, though i do want a door for the loo. How can i incorporate the door here? It just makes wardrobe easily accessible.

• marylut
    13 days ago

You can put a lockable pocket door to loo as long as there is nothing (pipe, electrical wires, hvac duct, etc) inside the wall to obstruct the pocket door from sliding into the wall

• marylut
    13 days ago

I like Jan’s! Here is another layout taking space from shower to make loo wall long enough for pocket door

• marylut
    13 days ago

An idea for using long wall for makeup table and full height storage cabinets with bins for trash and hamper, mix of drawers, doors, open shelving for clean towels and display

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

"I really like Jan’s last idea, though i do want a door for the loo. How can i incorporate the door here? It just makes wardrobe easily accessible."

Helloooooooo???!!! See the POCKET door at the loo right below. 30"

That skinny line coming out of the wall at the make up area....

Don't forget a fanlight in there.........: )

This has a pocket door at the loo as well..

Remember wall thickness for a pocket door is 6" not 4"

• latifolia
    12 days ago

Plumbing changes are expensive, particularly in a concrete slab. Keeping the toilet in the same location will be cheaper. It may be cheaper to add a vanity where the tub is, since you already have plumbing there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Plumbing changes that significantly improve a bath are often not NEARLY as expensive as an inconvenient bath, and ugly dated bath.

A slab floor doesn't render it impossible.

No good master bath gut / re do is inexpensive. Life and truth are brutal, so you keep it simple, Use a porcelain on the floor, that you can repeat on shower walls. Don't get carried away on accents, niches, and bs extras that add nothing.

Edit..: ) because simple can be gorgeous, and you don't need a hundred "good ideas" in any bath.

• marylut
    12 days ago

You will be using bathroom at least 2x day every day, so spend the money to get the floor plan right! Agree with Jan, plenty of elegance and visual interest from using inexpensive but good quality materials. Find remnant at a stone place for the countertops, even repeat on shower bench top if big enough piece. Use porcelain tile everywhere but vary the finish - matte finish on floor and shower bench, polished finish on shower walls, companion 2” matte tiles on shower floor. Paint. New towels. If not in budget, then no extras (body jets, rain-head, heated floor, towel warmers, ToTo Washlet bidet seat, etc).

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I was thinking about the cost and complexity. My current toilet faces south(with respect to Jan”s) floorplan. How easy is it to rotate toilet as Jan is showing. I agree to the point of removing angled toilet door but want to minimize the toilet movement to minimize the cost.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Open the darn door. take a picture?

Get a contractor and plumber. Look at the rough in soil pipe, ( probably 12 ") from wall/standard.

Much will depend how far and that pipe. Toilets need the proper pitch as well

"The standard slope is anywhere from ¼ inch to 3 inches per foot depending on the use. An accurate calculation is essential for properly functioning plumbing. A pipe that doesn't slope enough won't drain while a pipe that slopes too much drains water too quickly, leaving solids behind.

You have to get your head around spending money for the bath. Otherwise? Wait . save. do it right. You love sitting in that little tiny closet? : ) or using the broom closet size shower?

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks Jan for your elaborate feedback. From my analysis rotating toilet will be harder, though i am waiting for plumber to give me an exact quote.
    Is there any idea where i can get rid of angled door without moving the toilet?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

Show exactly INSIDE the angled closet where it is? As I asked earlier?

• rishabh agarwal
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Adding dimensions

• PRO
    Fresh Remodel
    8 days ago

Remove the tub and extend the shower with a fixed glass panel on half the shower area.

This will allow you to maximize the shower space without compromising the look and feel of the bathroom. Removing the tub and expanding the shower is a common and effective approach, as it can visually open up the space. To address the concern about the long shower, using a fixed glass panel on half the shower area can help maintain an open and airy feel. ncorporating design elements like tile patterns, lighting, and vanity placement can help balance the elongated shower and create a cohesive, visually appealing bathroom. Overall, this approach seems to be the most practical and aesthetically pleasing solution for your needs.