Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleplume

Please Help! Palette & Style Conundrum-Modern Tropical Glam vs Coastal

purpleplume
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Bold cool colors energize me. Now that we’ve found our forever home, resale considerations no longer factor into our design decisions. Someone here on Houzz forums descibed this photo of our LR space as Modern Tropical Glam. That resonates with me. I love spending time in this space:

Now we’re renovating the kitchen that’s adjacent to the LR (above) and DR (not shown). These spaces all share the same warm tone Saturnia marble flooring, which must stay because it runs throughout two levels of the residence.

Here’s the kitchen design firm’s initial rendering of the U-shaped layout with Ben Moore Chantilly Lace (white) slab cabinetry on all 3 sides of the kitchen and Ben Moore Elmira White shown on the island cabinetry. Our interior designer selected Elmira White to relate to the existing flooring. Counter surfaces are in Diamond Blue Polished Calcite (IRL it’s not so gray). The warm tone flooring is emphasized by 3” square bronze metal accent tiles inserted around the island.

Warm tones make me feel sad and this rendering feels blah to me.

I want to feel happy in my kitchen!

My interior designer then proposed a few light cool blues instead for the island cabinetry color. Of those, my husband and I chose SW Blissful Blue, shown on the left side of this image beside a better representation of the stone material, which is a blue gray with a bit of green (ignore the reflection of the old pendant light).

She is trying to achieve some color flow between the LR/DR and the kitchen and the rest of the residence. All the walls on this level are painted Chantilly Lace. Our artwork is quite contemporary.

I‘m not comfortable with the Blissful Blue on the island cabinets. It looks Coastal to me and our style is more contemporary and not as casual as Coastal.

Should I go back to Elmira White, which reads as tan to my eyes?

Please help me! This cabinet order needed to go in yesterday and I am just not comfortable with either option so far.

Your comments and ideas are welcome! I‘m hoping someone here can save me from this Design Dilemma.😥🤔🧐

Comments (155)

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    7 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

I found this quartzite in local inventory by me. I like the linear quality of this slab.

What do you think? Could it work because the lighter colors could tie in to the existing flooring?

I’m not sure. Does it look a little pink?

• dan1888
    6 days ago

Haven't read any comments. The living room blue does nothing to effect resale. It's just easily and inexpensively changeable paint. It doesn't complement the existing floor. You aren't changing the floor. The combo grates for me. I don't live there. I'd go with the choices of the designer except for the counter. Make it white and add blue accents. or add the blue Macaubas to the island. It can be swapped out at a moderate cost when the house goes for sale in the future. Look far and wide for the one right slab. Don't match the floor.

• rebunky
    6 days ago

Oh dear, I am so glad you are okay! You take care. Health first!

Of course I love the Azul Macaubus. Why?

Because Azul Macaubus was the very first mockup I did once you said the plum island was a no go with hubby. Here was my mockup from 6 days ago.

This is a slab of Azul Macaubus from our local stone yard in Hawaii.

Eta- In that online photo, the slab does have more pink tones. You’ll have to see it in person though. Do you have any extra of your travertine floor that you could bring to the stone yard? It helps to bring your flooring and a Chantilly Lace door sample to hold up to the slab.

I am excited to see what all you find! If possible take some straight forward pictures of the slab you like. If you want me to do a mockup, it is easier that way.

purpleplume thanked rebunky
  • rebunky
    6 days ago

I looked through my deleted photos and found the original kitchen that I used for that mockup above. Here it is.

Then, look what I found in my deleted photos right before that kitchen photo.

Could that possibly be your same travertine floor that I see? 🤣

I must have deleted it before I understood what your floors actually were. Not saying this stone is what you will end up with, but if you did, wouldn't that be ironically funny!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

The point, no matter the stone? You MUST put the cabinet order in, and all you need to delete is the bookshelves. You really do not need them and they suit a more traditional kitchen.

Tops? They will not matter if nothing on which to PLACE the tops. You will soon be s.c.r.e.w.e.d. for a kitchen at the holidays.

It's weeks between finished cabinet install, a TEMPLATE, a cut and polish, and a return to the house for install of tops, .....followed by the plumber for sink, and on you go. This assumes the stone IS the back splash, as no tile can go on until the tops are in place.

Put the cabinet order in, if not already in.

You aren't the only one under similar construction restraints in that neck of the woods or water.

purpleplume thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

PS..........

............. But if you did read? You would realize it is her "forever" home, and resale is not an issue. She likes "cool and bold" . Yes, she loathes the floor. It isn't going anywhere and neither is the op.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@JAN MOYER Are you suggesting removing the bookshelves and the 2-drawer bank beside it?

Do you feel the stool side of the island should be Chantilly White with only faux panels on that side. Because it's a more contemporary look? Because I'm giving up some storage if I do that.

What about changing the bookshelves to another 2-drawer bank set in the north end of the island where there will be no barstools.

I can't get the cabinetry order in until I'm firm on the cabinetry colors on all surfaces. I have to get it in today though!

btw, my daughter is delivering their first child today. But she's 3000 miles away from me so that doesn't impact my productivity today.

What are your thoughts on the slabs of Azul Macaubus Extra Quartzite I found locally and posted last night. Are you OK with them against my flooring? Do they OK or a bit too pink for you?

I can't be slapping down non-refundable deposits on tagged slabs until I know it's all going to work together. Money doesn't grow on palm trees down here.🌴

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

“I can’t be slapping down non-refundable deposits on tagged slabs until I know it’s all going to work together. Money doesn’t grow on palm trees down here. 🌴 ”

I haven’t been keeping up with your adventures here. So i don’t know what that last comment was in response to. But i’m glad I tuned in - because that is funny! :)

purpleplume thanked freedomplace1
  • purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@freedomplace just scroll up to my last post. I'm purpleplume. The remark was regarding not wanting to commit to slabs of quartzite until we got the cabinet colors nailed down, and the cabinetry order placed, which needs to happen today.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

"I can't get the cabinetry order in until I'm firm on the cabinetry colors on all surfaces. I have to get it in today though!"

Am I losing it? You have nobody who will let you have a bold color. You do not want WHITE tops, and to be honest? That is what you will need as you have not got another endless amount of time to coordinate, to get a sample color from the cabinet company to confirm a color. You are d.o.n.e /It is chantilly lace or do the kitchen next year.

THE BOOKCASES. !!!!!!!!

CLOSE THEM ADD TOUCH LATCH DOORS.

They do not impact that space, or the remainder of the island. Thirteen inches is not deep enough for drawers. ....

As to what I like?

I like every combo I put together. I am NOT hung up on the stone stone from mother earth. I could easily live without it. You seem unable to do that. Despite all the conversation on pops of color, bold.....etc.

Call the designer. Get straight on the island design , do the Chantilly, and then get firm on the tops........as soon as possible.

The designer has a kitchen , she won't be without her kitchen while you dawdle and twist in the wind. She is only capable of so much hand wring. .......: ) ! Trust me on that.

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

Hi purpleplume. I understood it was your comment and figured you were likely responding to some suggestions further up thread - but the way you said it is so funny. :)

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

Sounds like something i might have said at another time in my life. Or come to think of it... sounds like something I might say now.

• rebunky
    6 days ago

I would go with Chantilly on all of the cabinets.

I think you have a couple options if you get rid of the bookshelf.

Option 1 - Add a 24” wide by 19 1/2” deep second two drawer cabinet.

Option 2 - add a third bar stool.

ETA - It actually looks like your designer kept the island overhang on the longer side at 14” so it matched the short side with the one stool. But since you have around 19” on the longside, I see no reason not to make the overhang a little deeper on the long side. You could even go up to 18”. That would be so much more comfortable for larger people to sit there.

I would go for the extra stool if it was my choice.

• dan1888
    6 days ago

The point is, use logic. It doesn't matter if the OP stays in the house a year or 30. Paint does not affect resale. Get whatever you'll enjoy while you live there. The island counter is not that big an expense. One slab. Use your blue there without regard to the floor. It can be changed by someone at moderate cost in the future. And no one can predict the future 100%.

purpleplume thanked dan1888
  • freedomplace1
    6 days ago

You could really save yourself a lot of brain strain - and pocket strain -by doing a simple, plain white counter. All of the patterned counters you are considering, imo, do not work with the floor. And the baby blue countertops you were initially considering also do not work with the floor - that is why you felt the design/look was off. And painting the island in a light blue is just not going to cut it. It’s insipid. imo, your designer is off base on that. Your floor needs a stronger color way, if you did a color on the island cabinetry.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

True!

eyes up:)

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

And as I said way up thread - you could lay some LVT or LVP or some good ole sheet vinyl/linoleum (which is also having a resurgence, btw) - you can put these over the tile floor in just the kitchen area - or throughout. And someone made a comment upthread about not doing this because it would be akin to “putting down carpet.” First of all - there is zero wrong with carpet; it has its uses and applications. But their comment is flawed - because obviously LVT and LVP and sheet flooring also have their uses and applications. And one of the benefits is that you CAN lay it over tile flooring. Do you want to demo that tile? If you want chaos... that is one way to get it. :) LVP, LVT, sheet flooring - a much easier way to bring in another floor versus demoing a bunch of tile. And in your case, of you want to keep the tile in the other area, you could just lay it over the tile in the kitchen.

And WHY would someone go to the trouble and expense of doing a kitchen renovation and design it all around a floor that they don’t like? and or around a floor that doesn’t work with their desired design aesthetic? It makes NO sense to do this when there are other alternatives. And quite frankly - I would put some type of vinyl/linoleum down over that tile - simply for the sake of having something easier on my legs, and also to not have every dish and glass that i drop shatter to a million pieces... For sure, I would at least put that other flooring over the tile in the kitchen area. ( Then... problem solved. Bring in any counter you want. :)

• rebunky
    6 days ago

Jan, I still like that one the best so far. The pendants with the blue and green with a touch of gold is what makes it!

But what I have heard PP say several times now is she does not want white counters. Her original dream was to have one natural stone on the counters and backsplash.

I am sure somewhere in all of Florida, some place is going to have a stone or two that will make her heart sing. I realize she is on a major time crunch. But shouldn’t she have at least a week or two to nail down the stone?

Here is the Blue Macaubus she saw. It might look different in person though. I added the 3 blue chairs that Jan picked. I like the cut out on the back and the black legs. I found some simple pendants that seemed to match well, but they do not destract. That gorgeous stone would be the star of the kitchen. However, to me it should not take away from the amazing ocean view. That is the real STAR! I personally love the calm serenity that this color palatte in the stone envokes in me. Just add a cool ocean breeze, sunset, a mojito, and the love of family and I’d be done!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

She can't, she has been advised not to put lvp over it, and she won't : ) change the floor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 days ago

@rebunky

I hear you babe! She has WEEEEEKS to pick a top. She does not have that for the cabinetry so it is Chantilly and it is ALLLLLLL Chantilly. Get the blasted order into production, they care less what you put atop. Keep shopping for stone! Quartz and or any man made is the back up. Tile? It's also the back up , unless and until she finds a stone she loves. Again.....time on her side for tops. Not for cabs!

I may nick a vein soon.

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

Really? Advised by said designer? The whole thing is ridiculous.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@rebunky Thank you for the most recent mock-up of the kitchen using the Azul Macaubas Extra quartzite I found online in inventory at one of our local stoneyards. I’ve visited there with the kitchen designer as they only sell to the trade. It’s a different stoneyard than the one where we got the sample of the Blue Diamond Polished Calcite I started with at the beginning of the thread.

They have 12 slabs in stock. I asked our kitchen designer to put a 3-day hold on 5 of them until she and I can get back in there with Chantilly White cabinet sample and original renderings of my existing flooring and some photos (since they are not showing true to color on the rendering). She did the hold. I am so much happier with this quartzite than the other calcite. It may relate to the floor. The calcite had more blue gray. This has more sand color tones.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@freedomplace1 We definitely are not blasting up the floor. I did that throughout our last house. They jackhammered up white porcelain tile and under that jackhammered up the original terrazzo. We put down marble. Down here people often lay new flooring over existing flooring. Do that a few times and you no longer have 8’ ceilings.

Personally, I would prefer LVP for comfort and the ability to choose a color I like better. But the architect, the GC and the kitchen designer have all been here more than once and all insist it cannot be done in our residence for several reasons. I will ask again but I don’t expect their answer to change.

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

Then vinyl or linoleum sheet. I can’t imagine that they would say that can’t be done. LVT and LVP is the same thing, essentially..Laying down the sheet is much easier plus less potential complications.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/remodel/kitchen-remodel/linoleum-flooring-in-the-kitchen

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@JAN MOYER First, it’s a girl! Our daughter delivered her first baby today! All are happy and healthy, thanks be to God! 🥰🙏🏻

The cabinet order went in today. Now you and I can exhale. Thank you. I closed up the cabinet (au revoir cookbook shelves and adjacent 2-drawer bank). Changed to push-latch shallow cabinetry panels for a much cleaner look. I agree this is a much more contemporary look. I can still keep some cookbooks inside the cabinet behind closed shelves. Merci beaucoup!💐👏🏻😎

I’m eager to see the new quartzite. I am so much happier with the linear pattern plus it seems to have a neutral component that might relate to the floor. We will confirm in person.

An artist friend of mine brought over her big Pantone book today. She pulled matches for colors she saw in the new quartzite. She actually concluded we could go Chantilly Lace white or Blissful Blue on island cabinetry. She stood at the beverage cooler where kitchen connects to DR and considered blue paint sample she held up while looking at LR blue wall and thought it would work. One cannot see the LR blue from anywhere in the kitchen or the kitchen blue from anywhere in the LR (that may change a tad when stem wall is lowered).

With more saturated and structured blue veining in the quartzite candidate than in the calcite candidate, she felt we needed to go blue and not green with kitchen decor options. My everyday goblets are nice cool green glass though and I may use some of those in the glass uppers so we will still have some green touches in there. I also have a lidded green art glass sculpture piece and a few other glass art sculpture pieces I may bring down from our upper level to make up for less kitchen wall art.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@rebunky @JAN MOYER Regarding the option of a third stool on the long side of the island, it appears the island is 100” on the long side by 46 1/2” on the short waterfall side.

Do you think, proportionally speaking, it’s more pleasing to have a total of 3 stools or 4 stools in total?

No one ever eats at this counter. Every meal is eaten either in the DR or on the terrace because it’s all about the water views and enjoying the ever-changing daily parade of boats. These stools (I currently have 3 that are set up kitty-corner) are used when our grown kids and their spouses are working remotely with their laptops and want them plugged in to recharge. We will have a hidden power strip installed beneath the counter with outlets for all.

So better 3 or 4?

• rebunky
    6 days ago

PP, (Purpleplume, I hope you don’t mind me using your initials)

I posted a couple of ideas above regarding what to do if replacing the book shelf on the island.

I just realized that Option 2 extending the seating overhang to add another stool might not work due to the travertile tile not running underneath that part. Is that corrrect? Sorry, I forgot about that.

So I would make the book shelves a second 19 1/2” drawer base just like the one on the right end. No brainer to gain more storage. I would make them equal sizes and have the same amount of drawers. I would rather have them be 3 drawers with the top drawer being shallower.

Jan said it cannot be a drawer base with only 13”. But unless I am mistaken on the plan, I see no reason why it cannot be a drawer the same depth as the other drawer base. I see there is a 6+” air gap between the back of the cabinets and the decorative end panel under the overhang. The bookshelves were made 13” so it matched the overhang.

But now that you are losing the book shelves, why waste that 6” space? Why not use at least some of that space for extra leg room for the 2 stools on the long side? It is not like anyone is going to notice that the short side of the island’s overhang is only 14” and the long side is a few inches deeper. Larger people will appreciate the extra leg room.

Definitely do all cabs Chantilly Lace.

• rebunky
    6 days ago

Oh brother! I posted before seeing your last two comments. I need to remember to refresh the page before posting. Often, I will start a post, go take care of something, then come back later to finish and post. Meanwhile people post a bunch of new comments. 😂🤪

• rebunky
    5 days ago

I forgot to say…

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago

A girl!!! SO HAPPY, THE CLOTHES !!! They're just cuter clothes! : ) Congrats!

• Boxerpal
    5 days ago

Sweet sweet news for you, your daughter and that new little girl (Wow 3 generations)

purpleplume thanked Boxerpal
  • purpleplume
    Original Author
    5 days ago

@Boxerpal Yes, and since I’m really not old enough to be a grandma, I’ll be Mimi.

@rebunky, thank you for that sweet card!

@JAN MOYER I agree. The girls get cuter clothes and let’s not forget accessories!!!

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

@ rebunky The undersink 36” base cabinet was planned to be a 3-drawer bank with the top being a faux drawer and the next 2 being u-shaped drawers bypassing the garbage dispoal and plumbing so I could actually store cleaning supplies down there.

Now that I’ve chosen a sink with an offset dain, the kitchen cabinetry people don’t know how to configure the drawers since U-shaped is no longer applicable. So I still have to research that to get something that will work with a disposal, plumbing and a water treatment system cartridge for filtered water.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

NOBODY!!!! can see that side of the island but you! ! Change it to DOORS on the sink base.! there will be plenty of room below for cleaning up the kitchen crap. The doors still have an apron at the top!

Drawers were not a good idea to begin. What you do want? An air switch on the counter top for the garbage disposal.

Don't complicate, don't over think. The drawer and U is best in baths and powder rooms. not under a kitchen sink , where it is just a minefield for errors and complications.

Ninety percent of cleaning stuff ? In the laundry is where it belongs. It's around the corner for a deep clean.

• Sherry K Bradshaw
    4 days ago

Do NOT use the same blue - It will overwhelm your theme and be too dark.

purpleplume thanked Sherry K Bradshaw
  • Sherry K Bradshaw
    4 days ago

Sse what solid black island counter would look like to highlight the floor and complement the living area blue? More contemporary style.

• hollywaterfall
    4 days ago

Read over the last page of posts. I am not a designer or anything but I love blue. I have a nice blue countertop (formica or something but cheap and beautiful). I would get whatever countertop speaks to you in blue. I would paint the cabinets a blue but lightish (not a bold as LR) and I would not worry about the floor. Since it won't be changed its a non-issue in my book. Definitely take advantage of the views that you have and pull nature colors in. Do what you like is the bottom line. You are paying these people, so it's what you want not them. Following to see the finished result (pls post pics!) Also, congrats on your granddaughter!

purpleplume thanked hollywaterfall
  • sdwilk
    4 days ago

Saturated greens in the kitchen makes sense to me and the linear tile is modern. Green is a color found in food, blue less so, and green feels right for the space. The palatte change from blue living room to green kitchen feels lovely. You could paint the wall of cabinets where the green tile backsplash was suggested the same color green for a strong color statement that is not choppy between white and green. Good luck!

purpleplume thanked sdwilk
  • Elizabeth Ann
    4 days ago

You know you live vivid, cool tones. Why not add them to the kitchen floor using runners in colors compatible with the LR. The existing floor gives you a neutral palette to do so. The commenters who’ve posted pictures of colorful stools are spot on. Attaching some examples.

purpleplume thanked Elizabeth Ann
  • rebunky
    4 days ago

Mimi! Love it!

I think you may have to have the sink base pullout configuration custom made to fit around your workstation sink with the offset drain, disposal, etc… if you what it to look like drawers. KD orders the drawers to add to it? I could not find any examples of that, but I understand what you are talking about with the U cut out around the drain. Maybe Jan will have ideas for that?

I read a comment (that looks like it just disappeared) regarding the blue being hideous. What is wrong with people???

Let me just add a view gorgeous blue and green combos that occur in nature.

Awe-inspiring beauty!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Call it color terror: )

Please?! Just make the sink base A DOOR base.

You won't gain any storage with drawers. It's CLEANING stuff, trash can liners! You do not need all you own down under there. Use a laundry cupboard for the occasional stuff and pleeeeeze Move On.

This is not a 200K cabinet adventure. The sink base with doors? Easier wipe out. That alone is reason enough .

Do not invite install "issues".

• rebunky
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I missed Jan’s first answer somehow about the sink base. I agree with her. No need to complicate it with all the rigamarole to get drawers. You get less storage and the doors will look just fine. Think also about if there was a small leak and you could not see it under the drawers. By the time you notice it has ruined the base of the cabinet. I had that happen once because I had too much stuff in my sink base and I didn’t notice the small drip getting the wood wet. I now just keep the bare neccesities under there. I recommend a waterproof tray liner to protect the sink bottom. Something like this.

Oh and sorry I got a little carried away with the nature photos, but I was responding to a rude comment that has since been removed. Good!

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I already have one of these waterproof liners under any base cabinet with plumbing in it, which we will reuse. There are water leak detection apps as well. They can save oodles of money in cases where early leak detection and notification can mitigate damages. We arereplacing all our cast iron plumbing once kitchen is demoed and will be installing this Smart Water Leak Detection System & Shut Off System under the kitchen sink, dishwasher, laundry washer, water main shut-off and throughout the residence. We’ve already had a few water leak incidents. No more: https://youtu.be/K1DIfYE-gsA?si=fFOfz56KXRCayCgS

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@JAN MOYER I don't really want an air switch on the countertop because it’s a third hole in the countertop, but according to the architect we have no choice. Currently, it’s under the island by the seating area and I can’t reach it without wrenching my back. It’s not up to code :(

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Once you have the air switch? You will ask how you lived without the air switch. It's no more annoying than a faucet in the counter, and surely beats reaching down into a sink cabinet.

• Allison0704
    2 days ago

I am new to this show and have read all the comments. Congrats on the new grandbaby!

Just wanted to point out a potential concern in the laundry room. In our last house, I had the cabinetmaker build drawers under the w/d tall enough to store extra paper towel rolls. I am 5'7". If the drawers were any higher, like yours, I would not have been able to see in the detergent drawer to see when filling.

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@Allison0704 Good point. Thanks!
    We don't use that detergent drawer. Our installation tech said they gunk up the system and are responsible for many premature service calls. I measure liquid detergent in a graduated silicone cup and toss the entire thing in the washer drum. Much cleaner and no stickiness :)

• purpleplume
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@Allison We specified the drawer height to contain a sturdy portable heavy canvas laundry sorter with webbed carry handles by The Laundress. We've been using this hamper system for a few years and love it. Now the hampers will have a home behind closed tilt-out drawers to keep it from being an eyesore.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

Try laundry PODS ! A lot easier to cart home from the grocery. lol

• Allison0704
    2 days ago

I've never had an issue with liquid detergent in the drawers and have owned front load washers since 2006.