Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liasch

Displaying objects in small home

liasch
10 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400 square feet, cottage style pitched roof, in which I am putting arts and crafts style windows. My sons tell me I have too much stuff. To be clear, this stuff is not dollar store; it is antiques, family heirlooms, Japanese ceramics my dad bought in 1948, lovely gifts from friends, etc. I have been downsizing and still have a lot of nice things, which I currently seasonally rotate through my house. I am also an artist, as well as other members of my family, and friend, so I have boatloads of original art...I am not a minimalist, but how can I make my house look less full of things, and still enjoy what I have? Houzz peeps...I will post some pics and maybe get some advice... :) btw the furniture arrangement pics are not current; will post more pics; this just gives a sense of the space and problem...

Comments (44K)

• liasch
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Tea outside but just in a mug this morning…I am missing my traditional tea cup. I am addicted to vintage linens. I’ve finally made myself stop collecting them and I really should get rid of the collection I have but I have a fascination with things that are handmade. I see all the work and time that went into them and feel they should be appreciated. There’s something about things that are handmade that is extra special. I have a tablecloth that came from my grandfather that is hand-embroidered likely from the old country. A.k.a. Germany. it’s amazing embroidery done on a net background and the net has torn in places and the tablecloth is huge. Oh I have to take some photographs of it. I’m trying to decide what to do with it.

• Alice Edwards
    4 days ago

Omg Lia, I knew she was a she! I so missed my typo 💗 please tell Mooze I’m sorry 😞 lol forgive forgive

• Alice Edwards
    4 days ago

Very nice! Grandfather? Wow, I’m impressed! I too just love the vintage handmade linens. I always dig through all the fabrics at our thrift stores but really never find any that are true :(. I found have the gold and brown king quilt my grandmother made. I remember her sewing it whilst watching price is right, she was in love with Bob Barker! Maybe not as vintage as what I would like to find while out looking but it’s very special. What could you do? Fold and place in your shelf with that corner visible? Or frame in a shadow box for your new complete wall gallery idea you posted at Lola’s (?) thread.

• ladma
    4 days ago

There’s a woman on either FB or IG, she shows up in reels on my feed, that makes dresses out of vintage linens. She cuts the yardage in a way to save all the beautiful embroidery. Her process is mesmerizing. I don’t follow her, but the reels randomly show up as suggestions

• glschisler
    4 days ago

Beautiful Lia…

• Amanda Smith
    4 days ago

What a wonderful idea, Alice, to frame in a shadowbox. I wish I still had some of my mom’s embroidered tablecloths from WWII….

• fissfiss
    4 days ago

Vintage linens are a “dirty” secret of mine…especially when made by family! I had two dresser scarves, embroidered by my grandmother with the lacy edge tatted by my great grandmother…those I had framed.
    I have a suitcase full of vintage tablecloths and lace from my MIL. She gave them to me less than a year after her granddaughter’s wedding…sigh…they would have been useful for a traditional bride.

• happyleg
    4 days ago

I framed 3 of my Grandma's hankies she gave me.

• Alice Edwards
    4 days ago

Oh Amanda I wish you did too! I would have loved to see them!

• Alice Edwards
    4 days ago

Happy that’s nice 💗 cherish and protect is the best we can do with these items. I imagine when our relatives were sewing these treasures they did not realize how special they would be to us 💕

• liasch
    Original Author
    3 days ago

To be clear…tablecloth was likely a wedding gift to my grandfather from his family back in Germany. Just a guess…my dad remembered it. Framing is a good idea. Maybe this year I will frame up pieces and send to family. It would be lovely used in a wedding dress though…Ladma, name of the vintage dress designer if you come across it?

• liasch
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Happy, saw these and thought of you. Spider traps. Might help. And Alice, and others with brown recluse…ughhhh…I often let spiders be, but not ones that crawl and roam. And not over a certain size.

• ladma
    3 days ago

It might be poppylu on Instagram .

• Alice Edwards
    3 days ago

Thank you Lia for the spider trap news. The sticky good but really excited about the attractant 💗

• liasch
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Well I got to see the hummingbird at the feeder this morning. Poor little thing must be freezing its feathers off it’s wet and cold out.

• liasch
    Original Author
    3 days ago

No surprise to anybody here, but Tiffany posted this video over on another thread and I checked it out… No question I am a maximalist. I check the boxes in every category.😝🤣

…in particular, Art on every wall. Lola, this is for you.
    😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zK9nO1_jHM

• happyleg
    3 days ago

Thanks l i a about the spider trap information I put sticky tape along the bed where it came up and bit me but of course I didn't do the other side and we sprayed again in there

• tiffany66
    3 days ago

Lia, are you sure we don't have ancestry between us. I too hoard white embroidered linens. It's so addicting. My grandmothers crochet table cloth is covering my guest room bed. I see it every time I pass the room. I also have my OH's grandmothers tablecloth. Funny because they both used the same pattern. But, I used to tell OH - my grandmother worked harder on her's because it had fringe. LOL

Yes, Lia there is no denying you are a Maximalist -- you have been smitten with stuff. Now some people might think that makes you look like a hoarder. That's not so. You just don't have enough space for your many loves.

• liasch
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Haha...how much trouble I would be in with a larger house! I think vintage linen is a throwback to a previous era connection. My summer bedcover is a tablecloth...not crochet...something odd.

Here is some amusement this AM...for all you cat adopters...

• liasch
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Some of us are getting positively rotund, with the advantages listed above. 😉

• Alice Edwards
    2 days ago

As in 😂

• liasch
    Original Author
    2 days ago

🤣🤣🥰 he’s a little large for that container…

Mother’s Day weekend coming up. There’s some vague possibility I might have visitors, so I am vacuuming and house tidying.

I want to learn to paint flower bouquets, like Redon… this painting is really genius. It might be pastels.?He did a lot of pastel work as well. Look at the way he’s woven in the blue background from the upper right with the black background on the lower left. 👀

• liasch
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Definitely pastel. ❤️❤️❤️

• liasch
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Well after vacuuming and house tidying it turns out they are not coming out here the weather is going to be a nice balmy 8°C. 46F. That means we’d all be stuck in my little house for several hours with two very hyperactive kids. Too wet and cold to spend very much time outside. Oh well the house is nice and tidy. I’ll have Mother’s Day with my two sons and two grandkids. My daughter-in-law has gone off for a much deserved retreat and won’t be back until Sunday.

• Alice Edwards
    2 days ago

Lol Lia! He saw the two kittens in there and I guess had to try. He’s such a big lug! Sorry to here about the unexptected change in Mother’s Day company, very happy you’ll have good company nonetheless 💗 , I always benefit from expecting visitors, gets me tidying up when I mostly would not 😂

• Alice Edwards
    2 days ago

Lia you could definitely paint flower bouquets! I actually think the vases might be more difficult to be satisfied with.

• happyleg
    2 days ago

Happy Mother's Day Lia!

• marjie1059
    2 days ago

So happy to see the return of these two friends! 🥰

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

Marjie, those are such pretty birds 💗 what are they?

• happyleg
    yesterday

Happy Mother day anyone!

• tiffany66
    yesterday

Lia, I found the perfect garden art piece for you and the sound of running water too.

• liasch
    Original Author
    yesterday

Happy Mother’s Day everyone… It turns out I had the perfect day at my older sons place. My daughter-in-law is on a retreat with a bunch of other women for the weekend and she’ll be home tomorrow. So younger son, older son and the two grandkids, and myself, had a celebratory cake from a local European bakery which had a custard filling and was delicious. Lots of time with the kids, very relaxed and family. I think it’s the first time my two sons have been together, with the two grandkids. My younger son is going to make a great uncle.

• marjie1059
    yesterday

So happy for you, lia, that you had such a wonderful day with your family. I assume that DIL had a great rest as well. I am sure your sons enjoyed having some time together as well.

Alice, the top picture shows a Baltimore Oriole, and the bottom features a rose-breasted grosbeak. My phone does not have a very good camera, but a better one was completely out of budget. Today I saw the female Oriole more than the male, so I think they are here to camp out for a while. You know how it goes - happy wife, happy life.😉

• Alice Edwards
    yesterday

Marjie they are beautiful birds, thank you for sharing. We do not have those here, may be too hot!

• Michele
    20 hours ago

Happy Mother’s Day everybody.

Here’s Big Charlie

• liasch
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Nothing like a good nights sleep… I feel bad about shoeing the cat off the bed but…it’s great to get eight hours. Does the handsome Charlie share the bed?

Marjie 🥂Those are great birdfeeders I have the one in the bottom photograph exactly like that at the weather the top is wonderful. Some people can get those birds here in Nova Scotia but not me. I have a great bird identification application called “Merlin”. It can recognize Birdsong! That’s great because I have a lot of twittering in my branches of birds that I don’t see you.

Today is actually Mother’s Day…

• liasch
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Jay, hope all is okay in your neck of the woods.

• Alice Edwards
    17 hours ago

Happy Mother’s Day Lia and all your peeps here 💗

• liasch
    Original Author
    15 hours ago

Cute, Alice… I need more gnomes…😑😂

Cold today…brrr I think I might go out and get myself a Mother’s Day bouquet of flowers. I got treated yesterday but nothing wrong with treating one self! To all mothers past present and future and those that mother without necessarily having children from their own body.

• Alice Edwards
    15 hours ago

Lia sounds like a nice plan, I’ll work in the yard and take care of the kittens. Those are the things that seem to make my world go round lol. Enjoy your flowers. If I stay with it and have success, then one day soon I’ll have flowers growing here that will make me happy 💕

• Alice Edwards
    15 hours ago

When I found the gnome image i just had to post that one here. Wonder why? 💗

• tiffany66
    9 hours ago

Lia, glad you are having a relaxing day today. Me a furry of packing up to go to MI this wee for my real rest and relaxation.

Here is the link I tried to send you on tea pot and tea cup decor for garden and home. Looks like it will fit right in with your outdoor seating area. So many other great ideas for this look. Nice way to use cheap teacups or just plaint ones that you decorate.

I learned of this Tea Cup Fountain because my Senior Center in MI posted it in their newsletter that they will be having a class to make them. I may need to go down there when I'm in town.

Lia check out this hot glue and mold idea for making a trim around your round art. This might just be what you need and inexpensive to boot. Her video is also creative for how to change the look of cheap plastic pots.

• tiffany66
    9 hours ago

Alice this might be the rake for weeding your yard. Look at this lady go on hers.

• tiffany66
    9 hours ago

Well my lunch break is over. Back to packing.

• liasch
    Original Author
    8 hours ago

Tiff, you will be back before you know it. Sometimes the links you post don’t actually go to the item you were looking at… it’s just the general website. Best thing to do is take a screenshot if you really want me to see what it is although I seem to recall you have trouble posting photographs. whatever the fountain was on Etsy it was gone by the time I got there. just want you to know that I am taking a look at the links, but they don’t always come through with the info.

I have a bathroom project that’s been going on for quite some time. One of the issues has been what to paint the slanted ceiling area. I think I might’ve solved the problem discovering this gray tone on another site. A cream colour is going to be too light and the blue is going to be just too much blue. What do people think? I’d like to finally get this bathroom dealt with because it’s not really a major project. The rest of the room, including the ceiling is cedar. I won’t be doing anything with that natural wood.

• ladma
    8 hours ago

Here’s the teapot fountain,

• ladma
    8 hours ago

That gray could work there. It’s a nice soft color.

• Amanda Smith
    5 hours ago

I think that grey would be perfect there. Glad you won’t be touching that beautiful cedar.

• happyleg
    5 hours ago

Yes to the silver gray.

• Alice Edwards
    3 hours ago

Maybe Alabaster! It’s not as dark with gray undertones.