Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stef282

Drape-gate

Stefanie
9 years ago
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the previous thread, we begin anew with updated room pics.

Please help me complete this dining room! Lots of changes already occurred- console, table lamps and mirror all on order so no suggestions needed there. Under consideration are the current drapes and furnishings.

Comments (2K)

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some without.
  • User
    9 years ago

I'm going to pop in from the shadows and say without the flowers is better and I would suggest something low and not necessarily floral. IMO.

Stefanie thanked User
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think I honestly prefer it without the flower arrangement because I think it gets busy looking. However, it is not as cluttery as it appears in the photos. I really like this gymnast but I can look for different pieces since no one really liked it and would like to add a little bit of color in a floral arrangement for the dining room table.

If you don't like the lamps, now would be the time to say something while I'm still in a return period.

• Wendy
    9 years ago

The lamps are perfect. Don't return them.

How big is the gymnast?

Stefanie thanked Wendy
  • bichonbabe
    9 years ago

Lamps look great! If you really like the gymnast you should get it.

Stefanie thanked bichonbabe
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Possibly too tall for console?

25" tall, 9" long and 5" wide

And yes, I still need to have the drapes done. I will work on that sometime in between my mom's upcoming visit and my husband's surgery so we will see how quickly.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Stef, oh please don't return the lamps.....they were made for this room! :-) and I'm in agreement with you and whynottryit...like the vignette so much better without the tall florals. Would like to know the height of the sculpture too.

Stefanie thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago

Oops, sorry for the cross post....see the measurements now. So just so I understand, are you thinking to place the sculpture on the console or table? If on the console, yes, maybe too tall. I think I see something lower in height, just don't know what yet.

• Wendy
    9 years ago

Stef, it may be too tall for the console. If you look at the picture, it is not a small a table. It is actually a large table. But, the sculpture still appears large on that big table. My concern is that it might feel too big. But, since amazon carries it and they have easy returns, I'd probably give it a shot. I think they charge around $13 shipping to return an item.

I like that sculpture, btw.

• User
    9 years ago

I think the gymnast is too stark. Something with ridges, rough edges, more natural...not coral but something like that ....not necessarily something from the sea but something very organic and very low... not more than half the height of the lamps if that. Actually something that just barely reaches the bottom of the mirror (the actual mirror not the frame). Probably white or marbled or veined. That sort of thing.

Stefanie thanked User
  • Wendy
    9 years ago

Stef, put the sculpture in you cart at Amazon. When I was looking that the Goddess, I had it in my cart and Amazon kept dropping the price. That was why I ended up ordering her. It got to be such a great deal, I had to give her a shot.

Stefanie thanked Wendy
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

Stefanie, would you want to try the Pier I vase just to get a visual on a tall vase with some shape to it before losing the tall flowers completely?

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

Personally, I believe a shorter arrangement will make the shades feel even more dominant. Also, with all the hard edges I believe you will want to soften the arrangement with florals.

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wendy, that bad boy has been in my cart for months along with another. They are calling my bluff. ;)

Karen, if you want me to I will for you. The shades don't bother me and I may like hard edges?

• User
    9 years ago

Dancer · More Info

Liuli Crystal Art Feng Shui Figurine Fortune and Luck With Rollable Crystal Ball · More Info

Uttermost 19502 Dahy Antique Silver Statues · More Info

Original Driftwood Sculpture · More Info

I found these for ideas.

Stefanie thanked User
  • Wendy
    9 years ago

Lol!

• User
    9 years ago

Sure wish that HouzzLenz thing was real. :D

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had that Uttermost in my ideabook for awhile. Something didn't feel right and maybe the metal look.

What's HouzzLenz?

• Wendy
    9 years ago

That's funny.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh whynottryit, that is hilarious ... They really went all out for April FoolZZ didn't they?? Would definitely be a HouzzLenz wearer....but only if the frames weren't that neon green, lol.

• Ramona
    9 years ago

The lamps are wonderful. I really feel the sculpture is too large and too masculine, but it won't hurt to try it if you can return.

I really want to see something organic on the console too.

• User
    9 years ago

:D They really did. They even added a "lenz" icon next to the "save" "email" ones when you look at pictures in the shopping section. I haven't checked the other parts but I noticed when I was doing a quick search for something for Stephanie's console.

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really can't mess with these branches much more because each time I do, I'm breaking several of the dried petals. It is very delicate.
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    Your lamps are beautiful and classy. Maybe prop a platter on a plate stand on the console and place a textural bowl on your table. Go with what you love and don't over think it.
    Stefanie thanked springcath
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me overthink, no way. LOL.

Thanks, Karen, but I'm not done. :)

• User
    9 years ago

Well, no one else has commented on it so I guess I'll be first. The gold vase isn't doing it for me. Too heavy, too tall, too slick. Whatever you use, in my opinion, should allow you to see the mirror behind it. Otherwise, why have it there? Yes, I know, it reflects light but primarily it's a mirror so to hide it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also, I think there should be highs and lows, ebbs and flows, pulls and tugs... so to have something low and textural feels the most effective to me. My for what it's worth.

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whynot, the vase is from my donation pile. Just posting per Karen's request for scale. :) At lease with this pair of lamps I feel the console is a bit more filled up and I no longer feel like I want to poke my eyes out when I walk by it. Ha. Now I can hopefully find the finishing accessories.

• User
    9 years ago

cool...all of the above still applies. would like to see lower, more organic and softer color.

• bichonbabe
    9 years ago

I think there are a multitude of things that would work on your console . Therefore you should just find something you love. Don't rush to find something just to fill up the space.

Stefanie thanked bichonbabe
  • Linda
    9 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/13868492

I think this is similar to the one you like but I think it's a lot
    softer

It's smaller too
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

I agree with Karen. Need floral to soften the shades.

I think the lamps are too top heavy with the large shades and they appear bulky. Kinda the only thing that captures my eye. My eyes seem to ignore the beautiful mirror and it's details.

I'm not agreeing with anything I guess. That's quite alright. Just my opinions. The console needs the weight in the center. I like the bulk of the vase and love the color too, with tall floral to soften the lamps shades.

Stefanie thanked LB Interiors
  • Toni
    9 years ago
    The lamps are beautiful! I prefer the look without the tall floral. It looks messy to me. And,the mirror is too obscured, hidden. The lamp shades don't bother me at all! I'd try a lower floral, or something else that's organic. I'm not in love with the gymnast...it's too masculine to me. But, sculptures are art, and art is personal.
    Stefanie thanked Toni
  • bellesum
    9 years ago
    I am not sure if it's the angle of photography or if you need to take a photo from further away. The first thought that came to mind when I saw your pair of lamps is that they are too large for your console or the relatively small space. They seem to be competing with your pretty Candice Olsen chandelier and overwhelming the space.
  • elizabethm16
    9 years ago

Something like this could be nice on your DR table (I really like it with the purple hydrangea):

Overtly Oval Glass Vessel – Vase - New · More Info

Overtly Oval Glass Vessel – Vase - New · More Info

Stefanie thanked elizabethm16
  • Ramona
    9 years ago

You can get some nice dried purple hydrangea

Preserved Hydrangea Bunch in Two Tone Purple | Dried Wedding Flowers · More Info

• Linda
    8 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/32179732

I think this is lovely

Think it would look great on the DR table.
    Stefanie thanked Linda
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I promised this to Toni (who has not been around as of late). This is a current setting I'm using. Now if I could find a centerpiece for this table that I love.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

That's lovely Stef.

Stefanie thanked LB Interiors
  • User
    8 years ago

Just an elegant setting!

Stefanie thanked User
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks guys, it's a work in progress. I'm looking for a dusty lilac setting but for now working with what I have. I'm putting out the other two settings so not to worry!
  • Wendy
    8 years ago

Looks gorgeous, Stef!

Stefanie thanked Wendy
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Saratoga, sorry for my delay with your request. Sadly, it's not finished! I started on the LV and throughout this time, my taste has changed and believe finally stabilized. This is not what I would do today but still very nice. I need a sculpture for the table/console. I use fresh flowers in spring and summer (sometimes in the winter) for the table but please excuse the flowers in the corner as they were moved from the kitchen temporarily. I just snapped these real quick so you could get an idea. To be continued.....

• Ramona
    8 years ago

Step, just curious, but what would you do differently here or how would you describe the changes in your taste?

• Toni
    8 years ago

Your place settings are lovely! Also love the vase on the console table. Fresh flowers are always beautiful! Still looking for a sculpture?

Stefanie thanked Toni
  • Stefanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for my delay. Yes, still looking for a sculpture of some sort of interest for the console or table.

Ramona, probably too hard to explain thoroughly. I think my overall taste has changed. For instance, I have been thinking about the new house option and we plan to scale down the kitchen and use the bar stools and a small seating area like this. No dining room.

Hope this helps as this is more the look and style I would prefer. Light and airy, less traditional and a bit more modern but still minimal. Plan to duplicate the kitchen look with different flooring most likely but favorite is th family room with small table. Houzz been a good learning tool for me. Had I dug into it a bit more, I may have ended up in a different place.

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · More Info

Cypress St · More Info

• Wendy
    8 years ago

I know the designer calls that a contemporary kitchen, but it reminds me more of a simple modern rustic, a Plain English style kitchen.

The Clapham Classic English Kitchen by deVOL · More Info

Photo from http://www.remodelista.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/fields/plain-en · More Info

Photo from https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c4/3c/3c/c43c3c0f622edbf14f · More Info

Photo from http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/helenadrz/Mine/1_img-1.jpg · More Info

Bespoke Shaker Kitchens - The Williamsburg Kitchen 1 · More Info

Plain English Collection | Newcastle Design · More Info

• Ramona
    8 years ago

Interestingly enough, Shaker style is pure Americana.The furniture evolved in USA, not England. I love Shaker style. You don't mean you wouldn't have a sit down table somewhere?

• Stefanie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ramona, I like the little table in the room above. I think I could make do with that and some bar stools. We hardly ever use the tables in my house now.