Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheasheashea

Principal's Office Nightmare

sheasheashea
9 years ago
I am an elementary school principal. This office is driving me crazy! It's usually neater/ cleaner but it's the end of the year! I need ideas for a fresh new look to start the new school year! Colors, furniture arrangement deco etc. thank you!!

Comments (61)

• sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great idea! I'm on the hunt for the perfect one!
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Where do you get the panels you can glue on?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    One question, is this the home office or is this the one at school? I'm asking because one of the walls appears to be cinder block which makes me think it might be in a school building.

I was wondering what your school colors and mascot are? Because if you ever have students in this office it never hurts to show school spirit even if it is just a pennant on the wall. When I was in school the principals always prominently displayed "the board of education" or paddle on their walls even if they never used it. Lol! I don't think that would go over in this politically correct era. Although I recall some of the ones they had were quite elaborate generally displaying what kids were learning in shop class.
  • Jeena
    9 years ago
    I'd say remove the curtain, leave the blinds, and put some more plants on that big windowsill. Vitamin D and greenery bring life into a place.
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is very helpful! I can't wait to get started! This is my school office. I just redecorated my home office. I'd love feedback on it too!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    You might get a better look if you can color block all the books. Darks below, lights on top.
    Houzz Photo · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    A principal's office needs gravitas.
    However, you could bring the decor into the 21st c . The valance above the window could go. In these days of less money for schools, you do not want to convey an expensive look.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Any developments?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 years ago
    Principal, what's on your mind?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    School is out and the transformation in my office is underway! Any other ideas or suggestions?
  • jonathan3
    9 years ago
    The window treatment needs to be updated. It seems that all valances look outdated. There are too many things out at once. Find a way to eliminate the clutter so that visitors feel like that you are ready to spend time with them. Live plants would be an improvement. Arrange books by color for educators? Hmmmm? What if she needs to a reference book for a specific topic?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Looking forward to seeing the results.
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Just wanted to add that for many years I was a school psychologist, with a functional, yet very warm and inviting office. Students, parents, and school staff loved it. And so did I, which made staying late a lot nicer for me. The office contained the usual stuff - desk, conference table and chairs, white boards and bulletin boards, paperwork, etc. But I also brought in my own things - art, plants, books, nice lighting, a "Freud couch," a favorite sculpture, coffee maker, CHOCOLATE, a cool mirror, a Tivoli radio/cd player, fresh flowers, changing seasonal decor - and that made all the difference. Wishing you a wonderful, much-deserved summer break :O).
  • Jenn
    9 years ago
    Do you have any photo updates?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay I've changed the paint color as suggested, de cluttered and taken down the curtain, ides now?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Where should I put pictures on this wall? Center the total wall or the bookshelf and then the table?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    New paint color comments?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Suggestions for this corner?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really need help
    With my office! I've taken all advice so far! Help!
  • tahitianmoon
    9 years ago
    The new wall colors make such a big difference. Good job!
  • Jenn
    9 years ago
    I love the paint color!! It makes your office appear more modern! I love all the changes and can't wait to see what advice you get!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Nice job on the paint. And that little arc lamp over the table is too perfect!

Not sure what pictures you have, so I can just give a rough idea of how you might hang them. A grouping of pictures over the table within the gray rectangle. A single one or another grouping above the bookcase. Yes, they really do go that low.

What goes on the back wall?
  • User
    9 years ago
    The apricot is good, but not sure about that shade of grey, is a bit filing cabinet/locker grey from the 70 s. maybe it will improve with layering on top of it. :)
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's actually not grey but a pretty blue color.
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Groveraxle thank you for your suggestions, I have one large picture framed and them a grouping of smaller ones. Would you suggest I put the large one behind the table or bookcase? Also on the back wall I bought a large clock but it looks like a modern art piece around it. It's a rectangular shape and burgundy to pull out the color in my desk. How would it look to place my diplomas around that piece having one of two on a floating shelf? Just searching for how to arrange things. Thank you to anyone with suggestions!
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    I have more suggestions; here are some of them: You work with children, and others who love children -- make your office light and bright, kid-friendly. The space is small -- do you usually leave your door open? Is the corner door for storage? Pull the chair that is in front of it away from the door and closer to your desk to encourage conversation. (Lose the little table currently next to the chair.) If possible, place your desk up against the wall, so you face the window. You will feel less claustrophobic and you will benefit greatly facing natural light; this arrangement will also prevent the barrier that the desk currently creates between you and your visitors; this is especially important, as you want to be viewed as open and approachable when working with small children and their parents. Hang a corkboard under the upper window, which will be functional, while providing balance, i.e., creating four "panes." Replace the little plant in the corner with a very large, shade-loving plant, such as a beautiful split-leaf philodendron or peace lily. It will make a big difference.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    shea, where you put the pictures all depends on scale. The gray boxes I put on your wall represent the approximate area I would cover with pictures. I wouldn't go larger. Over the bookcase, I wouldn't go too much smaller. Over the table, you could go up to half as wide as the box I show, but I wouldn't go much smaller than that.

Your diplomas and clock on the blue wall are fine, but DO NOT arrange the diplomas around the clock. Make the diplomas their own group, like you had them before only lower, and centered on the credenza. Then hang the clock in the center of the space left over. Remember, everything goes at eye level, and eye level is lower when you're sitting down.
  • Karen
    9 years ago
    I'm a brand new elementary school principal about to start on my new office so I'm going to follow this! Great suggestions so far!
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Update from today. Look at possibilities for picture placements and give feedback please!
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Clock?
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Clock?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Clock looks good.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    OK. Let's go minimal here, especially since you will undoubtedly end up with more than you started with by the end of the year.

Center the clock over the credenza, a bit lower than you show. There should be more space above it than below.

Is there room on the tan wall to the left of the window for your diplomas? If so, hang them there. They'll be visible without being in your face (which can be intimidating to parents). Lose the little shelves. They're just unnecessary clutter.

Unionville painting over bookcase is perfect.

Reserve the tan wall under and to the right of the window for children's work. Keep a rotating gallery and encourage them to contribute. And if you're one of those schools that has cut art because the board thinks it's a frill, make 'em bring it back. ART IS NOT A FRILL!
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    I really like groveraxle's suggestion: I would hang one large piece (the size she indicated) above the bookcase and group your professional diplomas and certificates over the table. Put the two floating shelves on the back wall to display things you love (perhaps the small framed photos that now sit on the windowsills?). I'm going out on a limb here, as this would need to be done very carefully, so as to be artful, and not tacky -- children often love tiny white 'fairy lights.' Done well, they could both brighten and soften this room in a joyful way that you would love too.
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Yes! Better still: Hang the diplomas to the left of the window. And kids' art under and to the right of the other window. Love a rotating gallery! I would hang the work on two good quality corkboards - a window-sized one under the window; a matching, very tall, narrow one next to it. Nice!
  • IM DB
    9 years ago
    Take all the frames off the windowsill. Do you have pull down shades on the windows? Perhaps afix maps to them - I picture the old fashioned warm yellow maps, not a bright blue...although that may go as well. If you use the table with chairs often, I wouldn't place them behind your desk.
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Use functional and beautiful lighting -- not the ugly, blinding, fluorescent ceiling light.
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I purchased a really neat memo board from hobby lobby that I was going to put to the left of the window on the tan wall. I need a place to put my memos phone messages etc. But I love the idea of my diplomas going there. So now I am at a loss of where to put my memo board so that it is user friendly! So many great ideas from you you all! Thank you!!!
  • sheasheashea
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    memo board looks like this
  • User
    9 years ago
    Grover with a placard:-

BRING BACK ART!
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    grover and chookchook -- yes, absolutely!

Foster creativity in developing brains: Bring art and music back to public education!

Support our kids!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I support my kids, hope one day they'll support me, so I tell them to study hard at school!
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Re: Memo Board: What about turning the desk to face the window and hanging the memo board horizontally under the higher window? Then hang a tall corkboard
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    oops (continued from above) to the right of the window -- a dedicated space for kids' art.
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    shea, how are things going?
  • ohrelax
    9 years ago
    Fall is coming quickly and so are the kidlets!

Your Houzz team is available for any last minute support.

We would love to see the office :O)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Any pics?
  • User
    9 years ago
    I'm a fellow school principal, in need of inspiration.....any pics to share?