Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actdecks

what is the best kind of decking timber in Australia

ACT Decks
9 years ago
We would like to know everyone's thoughts on what they believe the best decking timbers are and why?
here are some popular ones we can think of;
merbau
spotted gum
iron bark
mahogany
Tallowwood
Stringybark
Blackbutt
Forest Reds
Jarrah
Karri
silver top ash

Thanks for your feedback ;-)

Comments (21)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    @ACT decks, I love that color of deck...care to share what color of stain and material used and finally does it hold up in full sun ?
  • PRO
    ACT Decks
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Curt,
    This deck is merbau hardwood and we have used Cutek CD50 with autumn tone tint in it.

We have tried out many oils in the past but Cutek is by far the best oil you can buy. It hold's up in full sun very well and enhances your decks longevity at the same time unlike many other products on the market that are very detrimental to the life span of your deck. if your looking for more information on Cutek have a look at there website www.cutek.com.au
  • PRO
    ACT Decks
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Luke,

love the deck that you have there

Are you looking for the boards to go grey?
    what hind of timber coating are you using on your deck?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Something bushfire proof/resistant.
  • hayley
    9 years ago
    I love merbau. But i am unsure how it goes when it ages. Can you tell me?
  • ashilleong
    9 years ago
    merbau is problematic as it is often logged from areas where it is a threatened species - so check that it is from a legit, sustainable source
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Love timber but I'm always so dissapointed in looking at grey timber deckings and furniture outside, as so many people just don't seem to have the time and inclination needed, to re oil or stain regularly.
    Our daughter chose, merbau and went to allot of trouble fitting the boards and even though the timber was kiln dried, it still shrunk terribly, huge job to fix it, which won't happen, as that would mean pulling every board up and the nails aren't designed to come out, so now it simply looks ordinary.
    I on the other hand, have gone to the "dark side" so to speak and just decided on concrete veranda's but I will have an overflowing of timber inside where I think it does look it's best!!!
  • PRO
    palaestra
    9 years ago
    Hi ACT decks, you might like to take a look at http://au.fsc.org/certified-timber-from-australia.220.htm - the Forest Stewardship Council. They have a list at the link above of sustainably managed Australian timbers, Avoid merbau, for reasons given in other comments. (Personally I am happier using Australian timbers, as we ought to be able to look after our own forests. Other sources may be prone to exploitation.) It seems though you are a supplier, not someone looking for residential advice.
  • PRO
    Phill McGowan Drafting
    9 years ago
    I have used 140 x 32 Quila on this deck with Stainless Steel batten screws for fixing. Coated with Organoil originally, I just give it a wipe over with a rag soaked with Organoil twice a year. Same for the posts. Doesn't take long and worth the effort.
  • PRO
    CBRS Construction
    9 years ago
    Spotted gum is a favourite of mine. It is a native timber that weathers well in the Australian climate. If it is covered you can get away with only recoating it with oils once a year with out it turning grey. It ages into lovely dark reds.
  • ashilleong
    9 years ago
    Anyone used any of the composite decking? We're looking at it as our new house has lost some of it's 'mixed Australian hardwood' deck to rot while tennants have been in. Previous owner polyurethaned instead of oiled :(
    9 years ago
    deck is about 70m2...used forest reds, some undercover some exposed to weather, good price, durable, looks great. could not justify spending more than double on merbau for the same look. I only use sikkens oil though (clear), once a year. the others are cr@p
  • Elyse
    9 years ago
    We are looking at buying grey ironbark or spotted gum for our deck replacement, both are up high on the fsc recommendations and cope in bushfire area BAL 12.5 which is where our home is, anyone had any negatives using these wood types? I liked blackbutt originally but it wasn't rated well by fsc :(
  • Elyse
    9 years ago
    What oils do you people prefer? I bought a common brand oil with no apparent colour to find out it was bright red! Looks awful I wanted a natural or grey finish to the treated pine (we have lots of decks!) I see the organ oil
    Deck above looks lovely anyone used feastwatson grey look deck?
  • redbow717
    9 years ago
    I have a Tallowwood deck. 12 x 5. Beautiful hard timber however finding a deck oil that is clear and not tinted to bring out the natural colour is very difficult. I have had to overdose it in oxalic acid to revive the natural colour again.
  • che_ter
    8 years ago

did you find a good oil for tallowwood decking we are having trouble also dont want it too yellow in colour

• Alice Villella
    7 years ago

Once a deck goes grey how do you keep the wood in good condition but retain the grey colour?

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

I have miles of decking at two houses. All timber when put in the Australian sun will suffer. When building our beach house we decided to go for Spotted Gum and let it grey. Why fight it? We applied Cutek, and will on a regular basis.

At our main house we have lots of Merabu or Quilla. Will not grey the same, and leaches lots of red stain. Cheap, but would not use again.

What ever you use, use a good quality oil that seeps deep into the wood not a traditional stain/or top finishing product.

• Hfgf Dhf
    7 years ago

Has anyone used Feast Watson Grey Look Deck? I tried to get a sample pot at Bunnings today and was told they weren't stocking it at the moment because there was some sort of problem with it. Has anyone else heard that?

• PRO
    Mortlock Timber Pty Ltd
    7 years ago

We have found the best way to get a weathered finish on your decking is use Cutek CD50 with no colour tone and allow it to weather naturally. We have tested products that speed the weathering but they never look natural. You need to ensure you use a very stable timber so it stays nice and flat when weathering such as Burnt Ash, Mahogany or Pacific Teak. view more images