Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann23941

What color should I paint this small bedroom?

Ann
9 years ago
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW Accessible Beige (7036) except for a few darker accents (backs of niches, etc.). Wondering if I should do just this small guest bedroom in a different color (like maybe SW Contented - 6191)?

Comments (1.3K)

• Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh good, that worked. Here are the other two so you see the whole room.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Am I allowed to tell the truth about the throw pillows yet? Maybe I'm so far away I can't get whacked.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more - nothing different - just lamp turned on.
    In my case, the umbrella would definitely go into a wine glass (and only red wine, no white for me, not even with fish:).
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sure chook - lots and lots of my discussions on Houzz have left me very prepared for the truth - lol!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Awesome.. blood , sweat, tears & sleepless nights .. well worth it!

Like the blue pillows better than the flowered as they put more focus on the rug.
    Like the umbrella placed by the trunk.. picks up nicely on the same color in the 3 pics.
    Is your bedskirt white or off white? My new bedquilt is a creamy off white & was wondering if I should do the bedskirt to match or go white. My woodwork is not creamy but a warm white.

With the bed in the middle it now "commands attention".
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Red for me also please. Wondering if your painter was able to paint the vents the same color as the wall.
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    Love the old lamp with the new shade; love the bonsai where it is; love the darker blue pillow. Not a fan of the lighter blue (I know you can't return it). Did you try the darker blue with the patterned pillow? Now I'm wondering about chook's thoughts :)
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    It does take "a village to decorate a bedroom"... a HOUZZ village..LOL
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't tried it, but could definitely swap the front solid pillow for the one matching the chair. I'm sure it would work. I'm thinking I might just switch that front pillow every few months for variety. Not sure the pictures really show it, but in person these new blues are pretty darn good with the rug. A bit brighter than I'd like, but kind of nice.
    I didn't get the vents painted. Hubby and the painter both felt they should just be white like the trim. I just said fine, but when I stayed at my daughter's during painting I noticed hers were painted and they do look nice.
    My quilt and new bedskirt are both the same, a Restoration Hardware color called Dune.
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    It's probably just the camera flash and my monitor. With the darker blue pillow, the front pillow looks "baby blue" to me, but when I went back and looked at it with the beige-y brown pillow, it looked less pastel. I trust your instincts since you are the one in the room! It will be nice to have several choices to change around for fun.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Ann, it looks totally zen. Truly. (I missed the lampshade and it's great and think the little table works so well.) The bed looks amazing. (MO, I'd vote no on the flower pillow. My eyes went right to the rug and headboard. As I mentioned, I have a couple pillows in Marine and I expected that color to work in here. Your pillow is photographing brighter than my pillow color, for sure.)

Before and after! Congratulations. Go take a nap in your lovely new room.
    Ann thanked User
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Ann.. good night ,sleep tight.. you might want to sleep in here even if hubby does not snore tonight!..LOL
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thank you, Ann! It is truly a labor of love. You must smile each time you walk by the doorway and glance in....or go in to use the mirror. I love your room!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Great new room. It definitely took some pondering but you came through with flying colors. It looks so peaceful and clean. Love it!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Great Job!!! Agree I would remove the lighter blue pillow. The 2 pillows are enough anyway.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Remove the lighter blue pillow..Is that is what they mean by.."when the room is done .. take one thing out??"
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    All three pillow options (well two in this post and then one so I don't crash my computer:). Actually, I like them all.
    This group sure helped me with this room! Remember, all I spent was a dust ruffle, the pillows and a lamp shade. It sure looks a million times better for that budget! Thank you!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Third option.
  • Heather Morrow
    9 years ago
    Third option :)
    Ann thanked Heather Morrow
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Sorry, at least from my monitor, none of the blue pillows is working.

I almost now think the 2 blue ones together or blue, plus the flowered pillow looks best (if you can't return the pillows).
    Ann thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    I vote 3 as well. You've done an amazing job for very little $$!
    Ann thanked indomom
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Good job on the low budget redo!!
    The blue does look a bit bright in comparison to the subdued colors in the rug on my monitor also. But can't always tell on computers. Maybe bringing out more of the peach tones from the rug would help.
    Ann thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    They are a bit bright, but not bad - I think they'll be good enough. It looks really nice in there. I'm really enjoying the rug on the wall!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I like the two blue pillows without the print pillow.
    You will be viewing the room as a whole while in your home.
    Taking a photo of just the bed vignette, does not bring in the entire visual of the total room.

The lighter blue pillow blends with the same blues in the chair fabric. I think that is why you are fine with the lighter blue on the bed. A photo that is of the entire bed wall with the desk area is what will make it all work for us viewers. Photos posted in sections of the room do not show any of the reasons and coordination for the other choices made.
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    This is one of those times, Ann, when you are going to need to trust your fine judgment and know the pillows work. Colors vary so much online, but in your room, you can see how they all work together. When I hear you say you are enjoying it, that says it works and is fine.....perfect even. Love the choices you made in here and they are even sweeter, knowing how you struggled and struggled to make them just right for you. I also LOVE knowing the budget worked with only a few things to buy and the rest was already in your home and in this room.
    Ann thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Abby is right on. You know in your heart how you feel about your room. You are there, and we are not. I commend you for standing on your convictions. Stay strong. You've done amazing work inside and outside your home. Congrats!
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB, I try to get more of the room in pics but the room is so darn small, I back all the way to the opposite wall and still get a closeup - lol:) Here are pics taken from the bamboo corner and from way out in the hall. I'm very pleased with it and I like the new pillows!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    LOVE the bonsai on that table! May I be a bit snoopy and have you tell me about the pic on the desk?
    Ann thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think it's perfect Ann! Looks great. Probably feels great too! There's just something about a room that feels so pleasant when you are finally done! Peaceful room and peaceful heart.
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • User
    9 years ago
    Ann- I do believe you have achieved the peaceful bedroom you were seeking!!! I love the bonsai in this location!!!
    Ann thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    LOL- looks like abbyjean, LB, and I were all typing at the same time;))) Great minds think alike!!
    Ann thanked User
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Looking back to the first pic, there was a lot of "noise". Lot's of little things: sconces, phone, desk, mirror, picture, thing under desk, desk......all at the focal point. Now, the large bed and rug grab your attention. The few small pieces that are still there play second fiddle.
  • bamamom
    9 years ago
    Ann, the room turned out beautiful!!!! You did a great job and had lots of wonderful advice along the way.
    Ann thanked bamamom
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Before and After. How super nice!!!
    You might be able to capture the same total wall 'after' angle pics better.
    Would be great to post under 'before and after' and saying it is FINAL, so no changes desired LOL
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Love the way the room "feels" now! Serene & uncluttered the perfect "feng shui" room for sleep. It's all about getting your STUFF in the right spot!
    Won't you all join me as I raise my glass in a "toast to Ann's new room"!! Another room "bites the dust"!
    Ann thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Cheers to everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone! For the little money spent, I think it is a great success.
    Abbyjean, it's not a picture but a carved Buddha. Probably TMI, but after I retired from my computer programmer/IT manager career at age 43, I became a yoga instructor for 12 years. Gave that up a couple years ago but think I'm going to resume teaching just one class per week starting in September. I miss it very much! Anyway, Zen stuff kind of resonates with me. I benefit from yoga since I'm quite a type A person. A great yoga class (one I take or teach) is probably my favorite activity in life:) Anyway, I love my little Buddha I bought while on vacation in Sedona many years ago.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree CDR about all the "noise" in the beginning. All my Houzz dilemmas have resulted in far less noise, which is terrific!
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    Very nice. I really like the rug on the wall.
    Ann thanked glschisler
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the rug on the wall too. Some of you that helped me previously in my living room may remember I considered placing this rug on the wall in the huge high niche. Some really liked that idea, but I decided I didn't want the rug to "own" the living room. It's perfect in this little room because it does own the room but I'm fine with that in a little guest bedroom.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    LOVE your little Buddha and am happy to think about you teaching yoga again! Good for you! I know many times you have been missing in action, at your classes.

Also like knowing your rug is still in this room, but even safer by being on the wall and not walked on at all.
    Ann thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Yes, it was too much competition for the fireplace and your other art in the living room.

Very interesting Buddha. . Appears to be carved from a log?
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Ann.. you are a yoga teacher?? My daughter is also a yoga teacher, has busy schedule with lots of classes both in her studio & at other locations. She also has a photography business.. guess they go together. You are a very talented photographer also.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Leona - I'm an "old" yoga teacher so when I go back to teaching, I'll just teach an easy class. I used to teach a few different levels, but will just do a single weekly easy class now. Also, I just do it as part of the yoga program at a large fitness club, but even though it's a fitness club, they did a nice yoga room with 2 huge wall fountains and bamboo trees painted on the walls. The kind of fun thing about teaching there is my classes are huge (up to 60 people) with ages from 16-90. That makes it a bit challenging but interesting too. Sounds like your daughter teaches lots of advanced level classes! That's not me anymore - lol.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Yes Ann, she does beginner, intermediate, advanced, seniors, youth at local schools & at her studio. She also dabbles in acro yoga. She has a 5 yr. old daughter who is very flexible & loves to do acro poses with her Mom.
    Google... 93 year old yoga instructor!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LB, I think my little Buddha is from a eucalyptus log - the bark is pulling away but it's hanging on in enough places to hold on. Some Buddha faces are so much nicer than others and this one has just the nicest, most serene face:)
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Leona - the 93 year old yoga instructor is AWESOME!!!!!!!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    We should all be so agile!! Does your Buddha smell like eucalyptus?
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    My mother-in-law will be 99 in December & she still lives alone & drives!!.. but no yoga.. some people just have "good genes".
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No smell that I've noticed.