Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneplan

Helpful hints for new users

OnePlan
9 years ago
Basically design dilemma is where you post questions regarding home design - not commercial really - although some do pop through !

Adding pictures/ plans* / as much info including general location ie Hereford UK or Dover UK ( not 'flat 3, 26 Hart Lane, Bournemouth' ) in your question will help - you may notice some people are more direct (ie 'design my window covering!' - not a 'please?' or 'can you?' in sight ) - I used to think it was rude - but now I've come to the conclusion that's just my interpretation, most people don't seem to mind !
If you think of something else you need to add - simply add it as a comment to that thread - rather than starting a new one ! And if you haven't had a reply in a couple of hours - add the comment 'bump!' To your thread to give it a boost !!

When you've posted your dilemma and you are getting responses - remember that not everyone knows what building regs or planning permission etc apply in our country - so what works for someone from, for example America , having a nice load of electrical appliances like hair dryers etc in you bathroom, would be totally illegal here !!! Be careful taking advice from complete strangers - ask someone 'in the know' in the real world too, if you aren't sure about something !!!

Very occasionally there might be some sort of inappropriate post - there's a report button to hit if you need to notify the lovely Houzz staff !!

Adding more below ....

Comments (38)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Occasionally some companies post ' what do you think of ...' Which can be interesting - but in essence is actually an advert !! Lol ( ok you could say this is - but it isn't - I'm really trying to be helpful !! Lol !! )

If you want to find out a little more about who's answering your question you can click on their name, and it will take you to either their pro page - or their home page if they aren't pro's . ( try it on mine if you like)

The difference between a grey pro and a green pro is simply that a green pro has a complete listing including things like links to their web pages - most grey pros don't have a complete listing ( often no link to web page ) so no real difference !!

If you want to post a chatty thread rather than a design dilemma, then the 'Others' section is good for this ! Also good to have a nose through to get to know some of the regulars !
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You can do specific searches though the photos - so if you are looking for ideas for a 'window seat' or 'grey bedrooms' or 'baby's room' you just type in what you want - can you can save the pics that inspire you into an Ideabook. The person who uploaded the picture will see the comment you write - so try not to be rude ( ie 'omg what were they thinking - I don't want it like this!')

Unless you make them private - your Ideabooks can be looked at by any other user.
    So for example if you had a dilemma saying you wanted ideas for your new kitchen - someone could look at your idea book of kitchens and say ' I see you like stark modern things, why not try XYZ Bla bla etc - also if you want to offer advice/ your opinion, it might be an idea to check out the posters style via their Ideabooks to see if you are on the right track before you comment !

If you want to message someone - if they are a pro - simply hit the 'contact me' button on their pro page or email them direct - if it's a non pro and they have an Ideabook, you can add a personal message in private / or public on their Ideabook (not for business promotion of course )
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some friends set up a private Ideabook just for safe chatting amongst themselves, as remember, if you are chatting on an open thread in 'Others' or anywhere else ANYONE can read it ! So don't say things you aren't happy with the world knowing - ie home address, email address, mobile number, birthdate, when you go on holiday etc !!! Be sensible !!!

There's so many other things to see on Houzz, you will soon be hooked !!!

The pros that come on and chat / answer questions etc do it for free - Houzz don't pay us - most of us are happy to guide and advise - but can't design complete rooms for free - as this would be unworkable for us as business's - and wouldn't be fair to you, as the info required to do a decent job, can't realistically be done on a chat site !!

Anyway - go look around and have fun !!

Kind regards,
    Karen
    OnePlan

NB - feel free to add anything to this !! It's all about helping each other get the best from this fantastic website !!

* it might be wise to check that who ever produced the plans, is happy with you posting them online first !
  • sunnie2day
    9 years ago
    Good point, OnePlan, about the wisdom of checking with planner or architect before posting! Ours has asked we wait until completion to post his work for us - not easy to do as he's done an amazing work! The reveal is going to be gasp-worthy, so perhaps that's the reason:)

Very helpful user tips - you hit a couple of other points I didn't know about although I've been using Houzz for some time now, so double thank-you!
    OnePlan thanked sunnie2day
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    One other piece of advice for people new to Houzz, check the date of the original post before you respond to it. When you are looking at certain things, Houzz will bring up other posts on related topics in the column to the right of the post you are looking at, and many people assume these are current discussions whereas they may actually be anywhere from months to years old and have already been resolved.
    OnePlan thanked Jessica Kerry Mack
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Karen, this is wonderful! I would have appreciated a comment like this when I first started using this site; I was a bit confused about who's who and what's what, to say the least. I wonder if the post could be highlighted somehow so it's one of the first newcomers can read.
    Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to write it!

And just to say: I've also thought that some people are rather rude in asking for advice without a simple please in sight, so it's not just your perception.
    OnePlan thanked Luciana
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Just my 2cents worth, but I wish people would search the Ideabooks before they post a question. Often an Ideabook has been written solely to address a single question, like "what is the best countertop material?" Then instead of saying, "what do you think of granite" the poster could say, "I looked in an Ideabook and it said blah blah blah, but I am wondering what other people think." Of course it is possible that people already do this and that is why we only have 5000 questions about granite colors instead of 10,000 questions about granite colors. LOL
    OnePlan thanked mfwolfe
  • Lady Tottington's Poodle
    9 years ago
    If you are on the App it's automatically the American site and if you are on the web you can choose UK site or American site by clicking down the bottom of the page. The American site is accessed by the whole world not just America. Lots more peeps to chatter with! X
    OnePlan thanked Lady Tottington's Poodle
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    And if you're working on a project and have asked for advice/opinions here on Houzz, we always love to see the finished result. Even if you decided to not use any of the advice that was given. So, please post 'after' photos :-)
    OnePlan thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes ! Love the after photos !!! We all love a happy ending ! Please share !!! :-)
    9 years ago
    thought this might be a featured thread by now? should be!
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    These are some great tips, and it's really great to see everyone helping each other out! Just to address @Lady Tottington's Poodle and her comment about the App, we're launching a UK localised app in the next few weeks which means all the content and users will be UK-centric! Hopefully that'll help the community grow even further!
    OnePlan thanked Tom Flanagan
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I missed this :) what a great feature post !!! Thank You Lady T for unearthing it !!
    OnePlan thanked Monica
    9 years ago
    coolies! x
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    Another thing to add, and this applies to new and old users, is to try and involve yourself in discussions as much as possible! Even if it's something like a poll or a question another user posts or something that we at Houzz do that isn't always relevant to you, your opinion and contribution adds to the community and is incredibly valuable in making the Houzz experience the best it can possibly be! With the UK community so new and ever-growing, we really value all users and we want to create an environment in constant creative and constructive flux! So thank you for everything so far, you guys have been great and keep sharing!
    OnePlan thanked Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    yay ! UK app is up and running ! well done guys x
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    No LTP not well done. Sorry for being grumpy guys but how do we get the worldwide content to show. Very frustrating.
    OnePlan thanked shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    so now if you use App you can choose country in the settings bit ?!? cool
  • emmauk
    9 years ago
    Ah thank you Lady TP, this has been driving me mad!
    OnePlan thanked emmauk
  • Victoria
    9 years ago
    Yes, you can change settings from country to country, but if I want US and UK users to answer my dilemmas how do I do that!? If I post on US version it doesn't show here easily and vice versa. Seems like we now have more divisions within the community to me.
    The photos on the UK version are different from US and while it's easy to change, the same photos should be available on both with better functionality on the regional search.
    Just me being grumpy I expect!
    OnePlan thanked Victoria
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I wonder if this useful thread will ever get into the featured discussion area ?
  • Dr Hanan Batarfi
    9 years ago
    Thanks Karen
    OnePlan thanked Dr Hanan Batarfi
  • toluedwards
    9 years ago
    I'm new to this but I have quickly become addicted to this app! I love it but I found it quite tricky getting my head round navigation and the rules of the site. Can I say a big thank you to all who contributed to this thread it's so helpful. I looking forward to posting my design issues and remembering my please and thank you!
    OnePlan thanked toluedwards
  • PRO
    The Bazeley Partnership
    9 years ago
    Very helpful post One Plan! We love Houzz and glad to see it growing in the UK and to see lots of other UK Architects using it too!
    OnePlan thanked The Bazeley Partnership
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bump !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hope this works - have added a fun brag place for fun unofficial snaps of your own projects - as we can't all take fab pics like the HOUZZ pros do !! Here's a link ! Hope to hear some good old fashioned bragging- and see some fab pics soon !!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-OnePlan-brag-place/744483308968268
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Cool idea OnePlan. I'll take a look.
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I'm on it !!!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can't see your post now Monica ?! Which is a tragedy as your pics were totally amazeballs !!!!!
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    On the new Facebook thread?? which by the way is a genius idea, LOVE IT !!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'd love it more if it flipping worked !! I can't see what / if people are posting on it !! Lol !! I may be a whizz at planning - but I'm an epic fail on FB !!! Lol !!!
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    That s the two of us lovely :), so is it on Facebook you can't see it? I wonder if you have to approve posts as you are admin on there? Not sure sorry xx
  • Emmeline Westin
    9 years ago
    Hi all, sounds like Facebook is presenting you with some issues. One Plan, why not create a new thread on here to 'show off' your homes? I know the community (and the team here) would love to see your photos. It could also be nice for new users to see and share people's interior ideas.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Houzz puts similar past dilemmas on the same screen to a current dilemma as a 'this is how we solved this one similar ' idea I guess !
    If you add comment on it, it puts that old dilemma back in the current list ! It doesn't really matter - but that's why you sometimes see posts that are dated 2013 !! (Zombie threads !)
  • Emmeline Westin
    9 years ago
    One Plan, do you mean the related discussions? It amazes me the posts people find sometimes, but it's always nice to get an update on a project :)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yup it is !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    Original Author
    8 years ago