Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehnazasghar

Need help with soft furnishings for a living and dining room!

M AM
9 years ago
Total amateur furnishing a house from scratch for the first time and I have my basic furniture but now need to decide what kind of lamps, cushions and rug would look best in this living room? I also have no clue as to what to put on my sideboard and walls in the dining room! Help!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i would use that sideboard as tv console, and get a rug large enough for all the front feet of the furniture to be on it. it looks cramped in the dining area, all you need in there is a dining chandelier, and some art. i would pull two chairs away from the table, and pull the table into the center of the room. then put two chairs grouped maybe by the banister. what would you call the style you like the most. seems like you have a mix of modern and rustic, but not quite pulled together. Also, please post lots of pictures from different angles.
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Flair Lighting. Posting 2 more pics.

I know the rug is too small - just put it there till I find one ;-)

Also the sideboard was originally purchased as a media cabinet for under our tv but looks a bit too high and had nothing in the dining room so thought I would try it out here instead :-) Also, I am aware that the furniture is a bit big for the dining room but I needed a 6 person table and our current place is townhouse rental only for a year till we buy a house with hopefully a much bigger dining room!

As for my style! I'm still trying to figure that out!!!!
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pics attached
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    For behind your sofa I would put up a very large tapestry. Do an online search.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/143-63rd-st-manhattan-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~9626534
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Are you planning to add a TV to your living room? Agree that the sideboard should be moved to the living room (TV or not) if there's a wall for it. Right now it's too hidden. Can your curtain rods expand so you can see the smaller window to the left (and right) of the couch?
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Your dining furniture will fit perfectly without the console. We need to find a better spot for it. What's on the wall opposite the sofa?
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's open plan - the kitchen counter is opposite the sofa - the media cabinet/sideboard won't work there. Sounds like it needs to go back under the tv (in the basement). No need to figure out what to put on it then! ;-) Chandelier and art work it is! Thanks guys!

Now for the living room. Lamp and cushion suggestions?! The sofa is a teal and the side tables are antique gold and glass...would like some color...

Also do I need a coffee table or would a large cream ottoman work?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    If you're keeping those curtains, I think you need this rug from Pottery Barn. Lamp is also from PB. Art from greatbigcanvas.com, but it's Amadeo Modigliani; you can find it anywhere. Kilim pillows, direct from Turkey at fabulous prices, here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GalenUnique?section_id=14024089

and here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KILIMDECOLIC?section_id=12718320
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lamp and coffee table ideas below. I would select a very neutral beige carpet and let the pillows, curtains and couch make the color impact .I think your sideboard works and you need more than your set - just move dining set to the right a bit. Add a large mirror overhead and lamps on either end of sideboard. On other wall, a large set of prints. On couch, add silk pillows in mauves, blues and pink and large modern art above that reflects those colors. Pull the white chairs in closer to make seating area more intimate. houzz=Black & Gold Residence];[houzz=House]
    [houzz=
    Destin Ceramic Table Lamp · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Cross Brass Coffee Table for Kate Sylvester · More Info
    ];houzz=
    Modern & Contemporary Favourites From Our Suppliers · More Info
    ]; houzz=
    Black & Gold Residence · More Info
    M AM thanked Maureen
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @ Maureen - think u posted something else earlier which I glanced at but it seems to have disappeared. Could you maybe repost? The first room pic u posted is one of my personal favs ;-) I really do want to keep the sideboard in the dining room but didn't seem like most agreed that it worked. Initial idea was to have a mirror above it and lamps on each side (to not have to invest in a chandelier yet!) Also, would it be too much to have 3 long brightly colored panels of art on the blank wall in the dining room (I have a series with 3 panels measuring 18"x72") on the blank wall? Will try and get pics. Lastly, love the first lamp pic u posted?

@grover: so amazing how you add furnishings to get a idea of how the room will look...I do have a painting but dont think the dimensions work in this space hence I haven't gotten it framed yet. Will post to give u an idea. Do I go for artwork first or a rug?!?

@er612 curtain rods can expand and the curtains are usually open but closed them as there was too much sunlight for the pics :-)

Does everyone agree I shouldn't add any color to this room? Thinking pale shades of chartreuse or peach and maybe turquoise for a pop? Is that too boring?
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh and was asking for color: re living room :-)

Thanks so much for all your help guys - really appreciate it!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    M AM, here's your art over the sofa. I didn't frame it because it's the wrong format. You really need landscape format, or a grouping that is wider than it is tall.

If you're talking about color in the living room, obviously I think you should add some since I did. Which comes first--art or rug--is really up to you. I usually start with the art because it will be the most unique piece in the room. You can almost always find a rug that complements, even if it's plain.
    M AM thanked groveraxle
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Look at coffee tables that aren't so similar to the end tables you have. Maureen has given you some good options.

Remove the glass end table on the far right (to a bedroom) and substitute something smaller made from another material like wood. Everything doesn't have to match.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I assumed there was space for the console in the living room. Definitely keep it in the dining room and shift the table. It will tie the rooms together. Like the mirror over console suggestion. In the living room, I would choose the rug before the art because it affects the layout of the room. I think grover's room looks great even without the art. Here is a yellow lamp from Target if you want color: http://www.target.com/p/haeger-soft-rectangle-table-lamp/-/A-15276760#prodSlot=_2_12 I would choose a coffee table that is rectangular or oblong shape so it doesn't impact the flow around the kitchen.
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    I'm not usually a fan of matching end tables, but with different lamps (on each), I really like these. And I love Maureen's oval coffee table. You've got lots of beautiful pieces to work with!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Please be sure to get tall enough table lamps (about 32"). Lampsplus.com is great because you can filter your search by lamp height.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i would still take two chairs out and of to the side, no reason for it to look crowded for now. and really, like i said a chandelier (you can take it with you later) and some art. take the console out of there for now. is that electrical above the table, or sprinkler head?
  • Chromatic
    9 years ago
    I can't imagine anything more perfect than the rug Grover posted and formatted into the room above. Do that, even if it means doing mirrors over the sofa for the art not to clash with the rug.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    I can't remember the pictrues. I removed as I thought they may not help. These pics are from subject: Elegant living rooms - you may want to go view. Some don't reflect your couch or set up, but sometimes ideas are helpful - I like the carpet in the second picture; modern and less formal with your kitchen being so near by. Also, I think three panels of art will work in dining room. If keeping sideboard, it will balance both walls. Would sideboard work on back wall, as people suggested it didn't work where it is? Just wondering because without, the room may be too plain. As well, it's really functional when entertaining. houzz=
    Rustic Chic Masculine Bedroom Design · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    My Houzz: Iris Dankner · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Living Rooms · More Info
    ]
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry for the much delayed response - unexpectedly busy day and only getting the chance to respond to all these wonderful comments now :-)

@grover - thanks so much for adding the painting. Looks terrible so I'm not using for the room but i do like the rug and am keeping it as an option. would however prefer more fun lamps ;-)

@leelee, I'm liking those tables - where are they from?

@er612 - no prob! And thanks for your suggestions ;-))

To be honest all, I'm really not feeling the living room at all :-(( What suggestions would people have if i removed the side tables entirely (I havent bought bedside tables yet so can put them in my room) and we started from scratch (1) teal sofa (2) the 2 chairs (attaching link to see color and fabric - look more beige than I thought they would be when ordering :-( I was expecting more of a creamy look but think the Latin is too small ( http://www.crateandbarrel.com/grayson-chair/s270559) and (3) the slate curtains. Open to any and all suggestions - colors, accents, placement, etc!

Re: the dining, I've removed 2 of the chairs, shifted table and the room looks much better already :-)))) Will start looking at options for a chandelier and above the sideboard as I really would like to keep it in the room...I'll try and upload pics of the improved layout tomorrow
  • M AM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flair lighting - it's a light fixture :-) and thanks for rec to remove 2 chairs.

@maureen and chromatic - taking your suggestions on board - thank you!!!
  • er612
    9 years ago
    I really like the rug grover chose. I think it ties everything together beautifully. I also like your current side tables. I still think your curtain rods need to be expanded and perhaps the curtains need to be altered. I had a similar problem in my condo. I purchased rod pocket drapes, which blocked most of the window even when open, so I had a seamstress add back hooks. Now the stack on either side of the window is much smaller. If I did it again though, I would choose grommet top curtains (I think the hooks work better on smaller windows).
  • er612
    9 years ago
    Is the kitchen counter in your pictures one that can accommodate stools? Also can you send pics of the entry into the space. When you enter the front of the house, the living room is to your left, correct? And the kitchen is directly in front of the entrance?
  • indomom
    9 years ago
    I agree with er612--that rug is beautiful and ties everything together! I'm also a fan of the side tables. Fun lamps would help :)
  • Cyndy
    9 years ago
    Beautiful sofa in one of my favorite colors, M AM! I'd go for a more contemporary rug like this one, and in addition to teal, it has spheres of blue and gold too. Add a couple of shiny, sparkling lamps, and you're set to choose your art.
    Momeni New wave NW133 Area Rug - Blue · More Info

Arteriors Errol Lamp, Gray · More Info