Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eugeniestreet

Front door color on EugenieStreet

Béné
9 years ago
Hello, your ideas would be precious : https://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/la-porte-et-lanniversaire-2/
What color for this front door? The house is whitish with dark gray shutters and railings. Here are a couple of views– note the door I need to paint, is the entry at garden level, on the left of the picture, we are not touching the door with window panes.Thanks!

Comments (69)

• drnd
    9 years ago
    Yellow!
    Béné thanked drnd
  • Maria Jorge
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like a red door but on a pinkish tone!
    Béné thanked Maria Jorge
  • Deb Trethewey
    9 years ago
    Sailor blue.
    Béné thanked Deb Trethewey
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maria Jorge, this is a flashy pink! :) Not sure I would be bold enough. Many of these colors are tempting.
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    drnd, thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about yellow, but did not come across one I could picture there. Did you have a specific tone in mind?
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Debi1949, can I ask what is Sailor blue (sorry French is my native tongue), I'm guessing it's navy blue, but when I google it with images, it gives me all kinds of blue!
    Thanks if you can share the blue you have in mind!
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Many many nice possibilities....I will come back with the family and friends votes and promise to keep you posted on the final choice!
    This Houzz phenomenom is fantastic. It's energizing :-)
    Again, thanks to all for all the ideas and even the montages
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    eugeniestreet....would you consider painting both doors??
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I'm liking the idea of this darker blue on both doors.
  • Jennifer Mitchell
    9 years ago
    The garden door entrance should be in the grey family. The main front door is what should pop and draw attention. If you choose to go with a red or other bright, then use it on the front door, not the garden door. I also agree with decoenthusiate (above) with the blue grey on both doors.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    9 years ago
    Canary yellow. Love your home!!
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    9 years ago
    Oh thought it was the front door though- are you sure you don't want to paint the front door? It would look great :)
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    omg, all of these educated suggestions (i sense most of you have expérience in home design) and your eyes for color...all this is making me consider painting both doors! if you've visited my blog you'll know that finishing touches is my Achilles heel! yes my specialty is overdue finitions (like here http://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/long-overdueiii-suspension/ or here https://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/ma-specialite-est-un-concept/)
    ...so 2 doors instead of one scares me a little. The garden level door really needs it, the frame paint is flaking, the wood is looking dehydrated. The front door I have never thought of as needing paint before! There are so many things to finish first...
    A full time job a 3 young sons = my big excuse :-)
    Now you got me thinking....
  • maryenidlareg
    9 years ago
    Oil-based paint may not be available in Europe, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure it's been banned, and alkyd will be your best bet. Be sure to sand and prime properly. I'm sure you have paint dealers that can advise you. Also, Boiled Linseed Oil may not be your best bet. Check with local carpenters who do historical renovation if your main door wood seems to be dry. They will have dealt with the problem many times.
    To me, any colour you love will be the right colour. I notice nobody has mentioned a deep, grassy green. Could be nice.
  • Maria Jorge
    9 years ago
    I admit my pink was overboard. Then suddenly I remembered that the 17th and 18th century houses in Portugal, my country have similar colours to yours - they are white, with grey stone around the windows and the shutters are dark red/brown, so I tried incorporating that to your house, on both doors. Didn't quite get the colour right but should you like it I can get you the right pantone colour.
  • Maria Jorge
    9 years ago
    This is the colour I mean
  • Gloria Del Cid
    9 years ago
    I think that a blue similar to the Nottinghill movie would be a fun color, I can't see the details on the door but if invery good condition, a high shine finish would be perfect.
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Gloria, Notthing hill blue? i need to look up the movie :-)
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maria, very nice idea, it would give it a bit of a southern style!
  • PRO
    Vielle Frances Interiors
    9 years ago
    How about this green?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Nothing too pale - it blends into the white too much, i think. Lovely green, though. Just not for here.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 years ago
    Ok, I like the blue grey on the door and carry that through the shutters. But ... and this may seem crazy, have you considered a brighter color? Yes, I'm going with the pop of color, and have recently seen photos of European homes, both countryside and village (yes, old world and contemporary) with Teal shutters. Aside from any excuse to want to go to Europe, those pictures have really been drawing me in.

The blue grey is great, the stark black and white (which yes, does need a red door for accent) is very elegant, but .... it sounds like you have a bit more creativity in your personality than to have a formal face for your home .....
  • PRO
    Paul M. Donoho, Architect
    9 years ago
    depends on how much attention you want drawn to the door. if it is not a main door, used a lot that you want to catch people's eyes and draw them to, then go with the light grey. if it is a door you want people heading to first, go with a pop of color. if it's the exciting door in view, and they don't have to climb stairs, then everyone will be heading to it, which may or may not be what you want ;-p i've had plenty of clients who have brought me in to redo their entry sequences because all their guests, delivery men, etc... go to the 'wrong' door.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    my own personal opinion, assuming the door on the left is a secondary door and the door at the top of the stairs is your main entry is to paint the left door the light grey and the upper door a classic red. red doors have forever been a sign of entry on distinguished homes, which yours definitely looks to be!
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi @bungalowmo, i just read the article you shared about linseed oil (armed with a english-french dictionary :-) ), very informative, thank you. It's Saturday morning, I'm on my way to the store to get supplies and, I hope, the paint. We discussed colors with my husband, but are still undecided! Suspense!
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello Paul Donoho, thanks for your perspective, food for thought....
    The garden door we want to paint leads to my home office which used to be a washing place (before https://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/pas-encore-le-bureau-mais-deja-la-fibre-optique/ and after http://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/sur-mesure-pour-le-bureau/ )
    It's the day-to-day entry for the family when we get home from somewhere. Just behind my office is a small corridor with coat hangers and shoes cabinet, leading up to the kitchen. The only times the kids don't come through, say when the get home from school, is if I'm in a conference call and signal to them the other "route" .
    The front door at the top of the stairs leads to the living room. We use it daily as well (to go out to the garden , to the terrace to eat or have an aperitif ). When we have dinner parties our friends come in through this door.
    Both are entry doors in a way.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    already said - people shouldn't have to guess which door is for them to knock on. Leave garden door same as house, white. Paint front door an inviting color.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    or to go crazy emphasize with paint part of the stairs.... or the front entry surrounding the front door.
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Reading the last comments I realize I did not specify: people never have to wonder which door they should knock on or go through: indeed, our house is not on the street. To reach the small garden you have to ring the bell from the street, we buzz the person in, he/she walks
    about 20 meters to a second door, a small gate that opens to the garden, which we open as well, so we are always here to greet a guest or delivery man and show them the way!
  • lindabuzz
    9 years ago
    I red is bold and makes a statement, but I like the teal door that gloveraxle sent. It also ties Into your inside color. Painting both doors is an interesting idea as well. Let us know what you decide! Beautiful home!
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello door advisors! Yesterday morning my husband came back from his run with inspiration from mother nature...here is a pic from our breakfast debate! Then I went to the store and picked our door color... we worked and prepped the door all day and this morning, I'm about to lay the first brush stroke! Wish me luck, I'll be back to share the 'after' :-)
  • raleighlaura
    9 years ago
    Somehow knowing this is a French home made me think of painting the door in a high gloss aubergine. http://imglogo.podbean.com/image-logo/636352/aubergine.jpg
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Aubergine: très chic, merci Laura!
    Lunch break: I'm just done with the first layer! I think it looks good so far :-)
  • Gloria Del Cid
    9 years ago
    The famous blue door from Notting hill movie, in case you don't get around to look it up : )

I also recommend the movie.
    Béné thanked Gloria Del Cid
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello dear door advisors! It's very early morning, and I'm painting the third layer before heading in to work. Can't wait to show you in situ the colour we chose !
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are the before-after pics of the front door color, along with a tribute to all of your Houzz advice...Again, merci beaucoup!
    https://eugeniestreet.wordpress.com/2014/09/17/front-door-front-dior-before-after/
    I hope you like it :-)
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 years ago
    Nice. And yep, you DO have a little more spunk in color selection!! VERY nice.
  • hair2660
    9 years ago
    Deep purple!!!! Really deep!
  • PRO
    Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago
    I was going to suggest a pop of color then saw your final photo. It looks great!!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Love it!
  • PRO
    Lane Williams Architects
    9 years ago
    Glossy black is always classy, but the other deep color options noted are also appealing.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    C'est bien fait ;-) jolie bleu!!
  • Gloria Del Cid
    9 years ago
    Way to go!!! Beautiful .
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 years ago
    Hello eugeniestreet
    You should paint your door a bright green like the color of leaves in the summer or spring. It is unique and will give your house that pop of color.
  • springcath
    9 years ago
    Beautiful. Bravo!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    wow, love that POP! and good instincts on your final blue, or bleu as the case may be ;-p and a whole-hearted YES on painting your living room entry door as well, it's playing second fiddle to that awesome color now

hey look, your door matches my logo color, très chic! ;-p
    Béné thanked Paul M. Donoho, Architect
  • Béné
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Paul and nice logo!
    I need to look up what second fiddle means now. Unexpected Houzz benefit: improving my home AND my English :-)
  • lindabuzz
    9 years ago
    The color is fantastic ! I would do the front door too.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    second fiddle
    play a secondary role
    jouer un role secondaire
    So I gather the consensus is both doors should be stars or at least co-stars ;-)
  • suellenh
    9 years ago

Red!