Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy924

(Creamy?) White Cabinets, Black Countertops, Carrera Marble Subway Tile Backsplash

peggy924
11 years ago
Help!! I am a total design novice! I am renovating my kitchen. The first pic is my "inspiration room." I love it but the white marble countertops are not so practical as I have 2 young kids. I am getting white cabinets and I want to do black countertops with a carrerra marble subway tile. (I am having dentil molding and an arched window over the sink too.)
However, my tile guy is making me have second thoughts about the marble backsplash since the doors are more of creamy white in person rather than the stark white in the brochure! (see attached image). What do you experts think??

Also, any ideas for floors? I would love to do dark wood but because it is adjacent to my DR oak floors (which flows into my LR), I don't want to have to refinish all of these floors. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!

Comments (14)

• peggy924
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    trying to attach actual cabinet that we ordered.

Ugh...picture won't attach but it is this cabinet (greenfield style) in Simply White (except the sample looks linen white so I am afraid it won't look great with a grayish marble!)
    http://www.stmartincabinetry.com/channel.asp?id=2
  • PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    11 years ago
    Colonial cream is a granite that is a great combination of white and cream which would be closer to your inspiration photo. I would ask your contractor for the names of places to look at slabs in person. With the floors dark and the black counter tops the look would be very different from photo. Research counter tops before making the decision too quickly. It will time well spent. Take a sample of the cabinet color with you to help get an overall picture. Good luck!
  • peggy924
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your insight!! The inspiration photo is more because I fell in love with the clean lines of the cabinets and the arched window. I feel like the overall color scheme might be too white for my household so I was thinking a darker granite (though colonial cream looks lovely too...definitely something to consider.) I just was more interested in a gray tones kitchen rather than a creamy brown but am a bit concerned because of creaminess of door sample (although the marketing materials all show marble B/S, and the doors look lighter....)

I have no clue where I am going with the floors yet!! I am thinking gray tile that would mimic the shape of the subway tile.
  • PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    11 years ago
    Floor is a hard call to make without seeing room......try to take pictures of existing space with inspiration photo maybe we can merge the two for a better design call. I would suggest working with a designer on a consultation for such a major project. It will be money well spent.
  • peggy924
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks again!! It is a relatively small kitchen 126" x 194" in an L shape layout. We will be replacing kitchen table with an island. (It is somewhat similar to the inspiration photo in layout.) I will try to get some pictures. I agree with the designer consultation but my husband was dead set against it....I need him to see the light! It will make our life so much easier!!
  • PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    11 years ago
    Tell him it can save time and money! Plus no mistakes or regrets!
  • Bond Girl
    11 years ago
    I'm a big fan of Calacutta "Gold" Marble -- they sometimes call it that, but it's white! White like Carrera, but with warmer veining (warm grey, tans, golds, etc) rather than the very grey. Be warned, it's more expensive. But if your backsplash is small, it shouldn't be a huge jump in price.
  • grossmankr
    11 years ago
    Consider changing your granite to moonnight. Looks like marble but better and has properties of granite. Great with gray glass subway tile.
  • dogs4kare
    7 years ago

With small kids I would not go to dark on the floors. Hard to keep clean. I would suggest adding more DR oak floors so that the whole space flows.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

5 years old. I'm sure they've chosen.

• Joan Marie
    6 years ago

Just came across this thread........ Look up decor pad Kitchen with Gold Deck Mounted Faucet the kitchen has cream cabinets with white grey marble backsplash gold faucet and white countetop (STUNNING)..... Creamy white cabinets in my opinion is much nicer..... The bright white is cold but the creamy white warms the kitchen....... Good luck post pictures thanks

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Again,,,this post is 5 years old. no design advice is needed here. good ideas though.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Jeanne,,,I'm talking about the person above who was answering the question from 5 years. She's suggesting flooring. I'm sure it's been chosen. And if you have specific questions for your space, start your post. once someone comments on these old threads, they go to the top of the dilemma list.