Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellinorhaakonsen

Need help for my downstairs livingroom!

Hi. I really need som help with my downstairs livingroom. This is Where my kitchen is, and I want my dining table to be down here. But filling the room is really difficult because of all the doors and the way the room is build. I am considering removing the cauch and putting the diningtable there, but then i dont have anything to put where the diningroom table was. I am willing to buy new furniture, i just dont know what? Please help! Please excuse my english, I am from Norway, so it is not my first language :)

Comments (28)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Just switch the contents of the two rooms in your photos and add them to this post for better input. Comment and use the Attach Images button to add.
    Ellinor Håkonsen thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The problem is that in the room with all the doors (where the dining room table is now) I can't find anything to put there. If I remove the table, there is just a big open space where nothings fits in. I can not put anything there, because of the doors.
  • PRO
    Vision Interiors
    9 years ago
    This is a tough space! What is the sectional facing? Because if possible I would turn the sectional against the other wall of the room it's in and add a coffee table and some art above it. I think the dining table needs to stay in the room you currently have it in because no other furniture is going to work in there.
    Ellinor Håkonsen thanked Vision Interiors
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thank you ! That was what i was considering, the couch fits perfectly if I turn it around. Because the two rooms is so small and actually the same room, i really wanted to get rid of the couch because I have a bigger living room with a couch. I really want my dining room table to be where the couch is now, but then i don't have anything to put where the table used to be. If anyone have an idea of what I could put there instead of the dining room table i would really appreciate it, I can't think of anything. Thank you for great answers! :)
  • PRO
    Vision Interiors
    9 years ago
    If you have the dimensions of the room we could lay that out and see if it will work.
    Ellinor Håkonsen thanked Vision Interiors
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That was a good idea, they would have to take little space, because it is not very big. The room is 315 cm x 197cm.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    What is the black item in the left foreground of the dining room photo? Can it be moved? I think if it can, you might add a built-in sofa under the window. It looks as though that left door opens out of the room. You could add storage underneath and TV, if you want it, could hang on the opposite wall.
    Central Park West, NY Residence · More Info

M-G Residence · More Info
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes that was a very good idea, but then i would still have to keep the dining room table where it is, and i feel it is very boring in that area of the room, but I can't see anything other than a dining table fitting that space. Thank you for god ideas!
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is when i turn the sofa around, I think this way is better, but feel that the room is to small to add in a coffee table and still have the diningroom table in the same room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    You say that "filling" the room is difficult. I think color is needed and you have room for a colorful patterned area rug under the dining table. It should be 4' wider and longer than the table top and that should fill the visual space nicely, drawing the eye to color and movement. Right now the rooms are pretty bland. Move the art piece from between the doors where it is too crowded. I'd put it on the large wall in the other space, turning the sofa to sit under it, and making sure it hangs 5" above the sofa back. Then add pillows in a color from the rug to the sofa. A colorful pair of ceramic garden stools used with the sectional in the fashion of the Central Park West photo above would bring more color into the sitting area and give a spot to place things. Consider replacing the drapes with roman shades to open the space more.
    Living Room · More Info
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That was really a lot of helpfull tips, thank you! I will try this out :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Love to see pix of your efforts!
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Hi, Paint using three to four shades of the same color. Off whites, Grays, Oatmeal and Beiges will soften the room and make it look furnished without cluttering.
    Ellinor Håkonsen thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will post some when I make some progress :) thanks!
  • אפרת נגרין מעצבת פנים
    9 years ago
    Hey
    Because of the constraints and the doors should be left as they are, but to add color and accessories for a nice look -
    Paint top of the wall in the favorite color, put a rug under the table and in the sofa, hang photos in blank areas.
    To add more interesting should hang curtains in a bright scrolling in addition to those.
    Good luck:)
    And sorry for the English is not my first language...
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for good advice! I will try that. English is not my first language either so no problem :)
  • rikerwoman
    9 years ago
    I would add color, to open up the space, the curtains someone mentioned good idea. Center the table. Add some cool seat covers, with patterns and color. And get a cool light to go above the table. Make it fun. And, your English is good. Me
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Love to see what you come up with!
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    I am going to post numerous images you may (or may not) find suit your needs...... You could forget using a traditional table and opt for a coffee table that lifts and/or one that folds/unfolds to make a large table. you might want to consider a settee in the space that can be used with a dining table and/ or a combination of arm chairs, instead of a sofa.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here are more images.... you can leave me a message if you need info or more help, at no cost :-)
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good ideas! I will try some of them and post some pictures:)
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    You have plenty of room to put a small coffee table.

Add some art over the sofa--it looks so much better turned the way it is now.

The picture in the dining room is too white. It doesn't show up. Replace it with another picture that has color to give your room interest.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Now pick some bright pillows
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    One more
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree, i will try that:)! Thank you!
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    This room will look cozy and inviting and your English is excellent!
  • Ellinor Håkonsen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you !:)