Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foci88

Help with Landscape Ideas for Front Walkway?

foci88
11 years ago
The front walkway is looking like it needs a makeover. Any suggestions? Also, what to put on side platforms on either side of front door?

Comments (30)

• elcieg
    11 years ago
    A Country Place · More Info

You have an adorable house!
    Low ground cover will let the house be the star.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I think you need to tear out the shrubs you have bordering the walkway and replace them with curving beds of lower flowering plants. I'd go from lower plants in the foreground to taller ones behind. But best advice, I think, would be for you to hire a landscape architect or designer to create a plan for you to follow. He'll know what local plants work well.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    On either side of the front door colorful urns or plant filled pottery.
    Elaine M. Johnson · More Info
    English: Braewood Place #1 · More Info
    A Tailored Tudor in Short Hills, NJ · More Info

As far as the walkway goes, I would take out the yews and plant hosta, black-eyed susans, sedum and some other seasonal perinnials right for your area.
    Stone · More Info

Here are some other plants that would brighten up your landscape:
    Exterior · More Info

I think the trees are too close to the house and the other shrubs need some hard prunning.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Houssaon is absolutely right. You have perfect places for planters flanking your door. It looks like it was actually designed with that in mind!
  • bjshep
    11 years ago
    The shurbs definitely need to go and be replaced with some type of small flowering. A stamped or pebbled walk would would add a lot of character. What about some lighting? Good luck and make sure you post pictures when it's finalized.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I love the house ! In the SPRING get an arborist to come and prune some plants and give advice on the trees that are close to the house on the left ,-see if they should stay or go . Plant some rosemary hedging or boxwoods if the yews have to go. And some flowering creeping phlox or any other ground covers . Maybe some carpet roses at the house foundation, For the spaces on the front porch find some concrete shallow bowls for plantings or some sculptures or maybe two big concrete orbs (balls).
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Remove everything that can be seen in this picture Plant each side of the walkway with yaupon hollies.

Place terra cotta planters with a diamond pattern (see photo) on both sides. They will repeat the diamond pattern that is part of Tudor design. They should be 'white-washed' with the same color as the body of the house to give them the appearance of always having been there.

I would love to see 'after' pictures!
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Whoops. Failed to add this picture.
  • PRO
    Burns Organic Modern
    11 years ago
    OMG! your shrubs are soo tired. but instead of giving them the dig, make them dig and go bonzai. nothing to loose anyway. shread the hedge trimmers and let them go wild a bit. trim them as you fancy.
    you need some color baby. now is the time to plant some bulbs for spring, and also some land fall annuals that make you look And feels good and the nursury now!
    Take those chaps some trimmings from your trees also to make sure you don't have any invasives. God knows i have plenty in my garden.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    I love the look of the house! I would add a black upright urn onto each of the platforms flanking the top of the stairs. I would keep these planted full with flowering annuals. Urns only tall enough that from inside you are just seeing flowers, not urns.
    Remove all the shrubs on either side of the walkway. Around the centre of the walkway( approx where you have empty spots in the existing shrubs), I would remove a section of the existing walkway and replace it with a larger circle of precast cobble pavers (similar color to your steps). This circle is wider than your existing walkway and onto these wider sections I would put a couple of crescent shaped iron benches (black to match urns) facing each other on either side of the walkway. I would also add a couple( or four) of low bowl planters in this area( black) planted with the same flowering materials as the urns.
    Down the entire length of the walkway following the contour of the paving (and circle) I would plant a boxwood type hedge and right alongside the boxwood (on the lawn side) I would plant a nicely contrasting taller spikey grass so that you end up with a double row of these plant materials along both sides of the walkway. I would probably add some kind of beautiful specimen plant to the corner of the house ( near the eves trough downspout). Remove the plant that is starting to block the window at the front and replace this with something that has more varied foliage color and runs all along that wall but maintained at a height below the window. From that corner specimen plant running towards the front steps and along the wall on the other side of the steps I would probably do a mass planting of something low. You seem to have a larger tree on the left side of the picture. I would have this tree and the specimen tree and walkway etc.. All lit with professionally installed landscape lighting. I think the effect would be stunning! The primary source of color is from the urn and bowl plantings ( if desired you could always add a couple more bowls for more color..near the sidewalk maybe)
    For the specimen plant I would try to use something like a lovely delicate looking Japanese red maple for its color and its' form.
    Your house has a lot of charm, and I agree the walkway could really add something special to the look.
    Explore different ideas and go for one that resonates with you.
  • foci88
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is a vacation home at the beach in Florida. If you look closely you will see the water view in the backyard (in pic). So, of course the salt air and hot humid climate takes a toll on plants. I really like all of your suggestions but just wanted to interject the location of the home because some of your suggestions may not suit the climate. Thanks!
  • foci88
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thought I'd post a pic of entire property for a better overall view. We have just removed all plants around perimeter front of property and want to add curb appeal at front walkway. The house exterior is currently being painted and all the canvas awnings over windows were removed and will be put back with new ones. The new paint color is a darker tan for the body, much softer green for the trim & a cream color just around window panes. The awnings will be a textured green tweed pattern that also has threads of the above colors woven in. So, for now the focus is curb appeal so thought this overall pic might allow for more suggestions. Thanks.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    The idea of the Japanese maple was more one of form. There are some great alternative airy looking plants available in FL. There are some very appropriate drought and salt tolerant grassy plants and probably some pretty good substitutions for boxwood if that is not an option. The iron benches could be a pale stone or concrete to match the house... And the planters could be fiberglass with the same look as if they were iron. It would be a pretty low maintenance planting except for the planters but they could be irrigated or just planted when you go.
    Crotons would be a great plant under the window for colored foliage and can easily be kept trimmed for height.
    What a great looking place as a vacation home !
  • bprince300
    11 years ago
    Your home is just beautiful. The front seems very undefined and open. I would recommend you remove the two tall, spindly trees and the palms up against the house, neither of which enhances your home. Perhaps the palms could be put to use on the water side or give/sell them to someone with a more tropical landscape as they are a nice size and form.

Consider creating a courtyard entry with a low garden wall (3' or less) at the outside edge of your house lines (ck w/ planning dept for setbacks first) and the main entry at the corner. Cut the corner off at the same angle as the house for the garden gate wall or arbor entry, etc.. It doesnt have to be a solid barrier - just accent the important corner and entry areas along a certain length and use taller pilasters there, then combine it with a shrub wall between those points.

Separate the garage entry area from this one, but locate a secondary path and gate to connect the two. (keep the wall simple with some gray stone accents and substantial looking pilasters. Plant very simply along the outside edge using highlights at the entry points. Within the courtyard, think dwarf and semi dwarf conifers (evergreens 5 -12' tall max), ivy, boxwoods, low shrubs, ground covers and accent plants that have movement.

If this is a second home, keep the landscape simple and primarily evergreen with lots of textural and color foliage interest for lower maintenance. If you love to garden you can always add special plants later. Avoid planting completely along both sides of the path as it gives a runway effect. Keep the structural elements more formal in keeping with the home - balanced with plantings that are soft, natural, asymmetrical - a cottage garden with expanded hardscape areas off the pathways, for a small bench, seating area along the way - to stop and enjoy the space ....
  • PRO
    Kevin Brown
    11 years ago
    can we make it like this
  • andreayoungc
    11 years ago
    On your path I'd make the border next to the sidewalk in vinca . Behind the vinca alternate coleous and dwarf crown thorns in yellow/ Leave space between them. Around your entire front foundation, I'd get rid of all shrubbery and plant agve variegated, 4 ft crown of thorns with red flowers and either bromeliad golden, or red fountain grass or both. Definately urns on porch. Take out the trees in front and from the outer right corner looking at your house come in to a center paint and plant a crape myrtle tree. Look up plants on Floridanurserymartonline.com I LOVE your house and it will look even more gorgeous when you get all your plans done.
  • PRO
    Brown Richardson & Rowe, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Simple simple simple. Your house and entry are strong, so the landscape design should support and compliment, not over fuss the experience. Remove the yews, remove the trees too close to the facade, replace the walk with a nice strip one paver or real brick (not concrete paver) walk, add specimen ornamental flowering tree and not more than three flowering plants like azalea, Siberian Iris, daylilies or whatever grows well and looks good in and out of flower.
  • foci88
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. All front bushes/trees against house and walkway are being removed this weekend. Then the fun begins!
  • foci88
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I wanted to share these pics now that the landscaping is complete!
  • stacy1061
    11 years ago
    Some good suggestions here. You could try driving around your neighborhood and see what plants/trees are thriving in the same exposure of your area. That way you know they could work for you as well. I know nothing about what grows in Florida. Now if you were from the PNW I would have all sorts of ideas for you :)
  • foci88
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Stacy, we just finished. The "before" pic was first post several weeks ago. Now the plants just need to establish themselves and grow :)
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Somehow I missed the update as well. It looks lovely! What a difference. I know you and your family will enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for taking the tim eto share the updated photos.
  • stacy1061
    11 years ago
    The finished result looks very nice. Hard to tell from the picture, but your pots would look even better with something colorful tumbling over the sides.
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Old post, but I agree I prefer the house before.I don't quite understand why you are complaining about people giving ideas- that's what houzz is all about! Yes some ideas are kitsch outdated but also some are brilliant. The poster can take all the suggestions and decide what works best for them. Very snarky post and offensive.
  • desertmantotile
    9 years ago
    Boy! Did I hit a nerve with my comment! Sorry! I agree with you asquithoatley. MOST of the comments are very good.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    That's nice of you to apologize, creativetileman. Thank you.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- @creativetileman --- Truce ? Thank you for your apology , that is nice . Now I am sorry for getting so angry but it gets me going when anyone is unfair against us - I respect these friends on Houzz . Everyone , professional and other wise have given of their time and talent and have helped others and we enjoy it .
  • PRO
    CLR Lawncare
    8 years ago

WOULD LOOK GREAT IF IT WAS REDONE WITH PAVERS

• PRO
    JLM Landscape Design
    8 years ago

paver hold up well in the winter and allow for proper drainage