Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowansmom_1029

Massoud sofa - should I get down cushions?

rowansmom_1029
17 years ago

Hi,

I have read all the past posts about down cushions and now I am concerned about what I should do.

I am purchasing a Massoud sofa. It's a three-cushion sofa with attached back cushions. I understand that Massoud makes very good quality sofas (right?!) and the salespeople say that the cushions they make are well made with little "sections" or "pockets" that the down goes in, presumably to avoid flattening.

I want a cushy, comfortable, soft sofa rather than one you have to sit up straight in. On the other hand, I obviously don't want the down to flatten out and the cushions to get hard over time. Also, should I get the back cushions to be the regular foam or would it feel strange to have two different types of cushions on one sofa? I don't mind doing some fluffing, but not a lot. I think I need to realize that all cushions get softer over time... the ones in the store often seem so stiff to me.

The sofa is $1,798 without the down... $230 more with the down.

Ugh!! Too many decisions. Gardening is sooooo much less stressful than buying furniture!

Comments (13)

• rowansmom_1029
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is me again (original poster) with some more information, just in case anyone out there cares! :-)

So, this is what the Massound website says about it's down cushion construction, and I quote:

" 'Plush Spring/Ultradown' seat cushions feature an inner Marshall unit core made up of coil springs and a comfort down seat cushion featuring a plump, polyunrethane foam core sandwiched between thick layers of low-melt, bonded fiber."

Translation anyone?

I guess the back cushions are another ballgame, these are just the seat cushions.

With all that stuff in there, I don't see how they can flatten out that much.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Get the down.....what's another $250!!
    I have a sofa with down....badly needs re covering....but I love the soft cushions.
    Go for the gold!!
    The cushions are foam with a layer of down wrapped around.
    Linda C

• sblynn
    3 years ago

Oh no! That sounds disappointing. I am looking at a Massoud couch but don't want to get what you're describing. Any other recommendations?

• MMS
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think it's so hard to find good quality couches these days. We bough 2Marge Carson couches and the fabric is piling terribly. They sent us new covers for seats and now that the down-covered cushions were taken in and out for the replacement the couch looks frumpy and unkept. The seats are not pilling but the arms and back fabric still look old. I wouldn't recommend them either. Buy something you like from a design and comfort perspective but don't spend $ thinking you'll get durability. We have Ethan Allen couches that lasted way better. The only higher end couch we've had in the last 12 years that is still in good shape is Hickory White. We also have 2 Henredon wing backs that have lasted through heavy use. Good luck in finding your couch!

• Virginia Graves
    2 years ago

Get the down! I have a Massoud sofa that I purchased in 1997. It had 3 unattached seat and back cushions with chenille upholstery. So comfortable. After pretty hard use the down in the seat cushions began to show age. In 2013, I made the drastic mistake of trying to replace the down cushions. The upholsterer misunderstood and replaced the down cushions with foam. I was beyond mortified. Because of the space limitations in the living room of my current home I have just now placed an order for a loveseat with down cushions. The back cushions of my current sofa are absolutely perfect to this day. I also bought a matching chair in 1997 at the same time I bought the sofa. It also had down cushions and they are still both in very very very good shape. Get the down!

• Julie St
    2 years ago

Our custom Massoud sofa arrived 3 days ago and I am so disappointed in the workmanship of the cushions. I have waited a couple of days to see if I would feel differently, but no, each cushion feels different and the back cushions appear old and poorly fit. I will be reaching out to Massoud directly

and/or the retailer next week. I hope they make this right. But with what I paid it should have been made well the first time

• MMS
    2 years ago

@julie steelquist: I hope they made it right! Massoud ended up taking our two chairs back. They were not even usable, foam crushed, even after they replaced it. Post a review on Google, they’ll do something about it! They didn’t take the ottomans, because it was not something as appalling as the chairs. But I still think that the quality of the upholstery is subpar. We bought storage ottomans at Walmart that looked just as good.

• Julie St
    2 years ago

Thank you for the tip regarding posting on Google. The store is sending someone over on Tuesday to look at the cushions. Thank you for the back-up plan.

• MMS
    2 years ago

With us, the store called Massoud and the they sent a representative from the manufacturer. He was saying the chair looked fine until we took pictures of the guy sitting on the crushed foam and he agreed it was unacceptable. They sent replacement cushions, and they were just as bad! The store took the chair back and wanted to give us store credit but we said just give our money back.

• Julie St
    2 years ago

It’s only been three weeks and the sofa is getting even worse. Absolutely no back support. Also when you sit on the bottom cushions they bottom out so your bum is lower than your thighs causing lower back pain. The store sent out a delivery driver today to look at the sofa. Masoud is making me resolve through the store. I don’t know if Massoud will make this right or not. At this point I would not recommend this company to anyone, they should not delivered such it shoddy product.

• MMS
    2 years ago

I’m so sorry, @julie. I know how you feel. It’s good that you are posting it here so it can inform others. It’s so hard to find quality sofas, even when you pay a lot. I really hope you get it resolved. You and I can’t be the only ones getting this Massoud foam that crushes in a way that’s not acceptable. Good luck!!!!

• HU-64005186
    11 days ago

Well, di did you get the down cushions?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH