Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stash_hdy

what to watch for when leveling A/C Compressor

stash-hdy
14 years ago

I have a single pad that supports two 4 ton units, the pad has dropped approximately 6 to 7 inchs on one end. Want to level the pad by raising the low end and blocking that end to support it. What do I need to watch for and be careful with?

Comments (3)

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

I am going to assume the pad is concrete when mentioning cracks and breaks. If a composite or fiberglass pad, the same process and problems arise except, you can expect the pad to bend or crack more than to break.

There's not a whole lot to worry about as long as you are careful and don't force anything. You want to be careful if raising the pad with the weight of the units sitting on it. You might end up breaking the pad in two. If you can raise the units onto some 2x4's bridging above the pad, you can do a better job of leveling the pad. Just be careful not to kink the tubing or put too much outward pressure on it. For just a few inches lift, you should be ok but just keep an eye on it. Try to make sure you get the pad as level as possible and as much dirt or sand underneath, as possible. Hollow areas increase the noise level and vibration might eventually break the pad.

The compressor motors are mounted on springs and will compensate for an uneven pad. You don't want the pad to be over 3 degrees off level. Any more than that and you increase noise level and accelerated wear on the compressors (especially if they are reciprocating compressors).

Depending on how well you can compress your fill, you might have to do this one or two more times over the next few years until the fill has fully compacted.

• stash-hdy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, with your feedback in mind I plan on raising the pad a little at a time sliding support under it as itÂs raised. Once I get it to level I plan on blocking with cement blocks along its perimeter. Hopefully that will give support under it for so it won't sag over time. Any feedback?

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with your technique. It'll work perfect for you.

This is not so much a requirement as it is a preference of mine..... If you can, I suggest you shove as much dirt or sand underneath as you can, just to provide a wider surface area to absorb and transmit vibration noise over a wider area, into the ground. If the units are not sitting near windows, bedrooms or the pad against the building, it is probably a none issue.