Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug_lau

Wide Windows - What Kind of Window Treatment?

Doug Lau
11 years ago
Hi everyone,
I have wide windows in my bedroom and in my living room. What kind of window treatment should I have? Am I stuck with only getting vertical blinds?...

Help!

Comments (18)

• olldroo
    11 years ago
    Personally, I just love the look of full lenth curtains to really dress a room but with no idea of furniture arrangements it is hard to suggest anything. It looks like you get a lot of sun - is heat an issue?
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    No way! There are so many options depending on your style and what you need the window coverings to do. Do you need privacy, blackout, framing a great view, hiding a bad outlook, sun protection, insulation from cold? Do you want something grand or simple? What is going to be in front of the window - for example you don't want curtains hanging onto a desk or table under a window but if you have a bedhead under the window then full length curtains running behind it can look great. Identify what your needs are then you can find a solution.

It can be hard to get Venetians or other ready made blinds for wider windows but curtains can be as wide as you need - just make sure that the pole or track is properly supported in the middle so it doesn't sag. Roman blinds can easily be made wide and if you chose the right fabric you can use it horizontally so that you don't need vertical seams. If you do need to have vertical seams these can be made into a feature by using alternate fabrics in bands or having narrow bands inset where the seams are.

Vertical blinds can look so dated and 'office like' that I really wouldn't put them in a bedroom, especially on a short wide window. If you want a non-fabric window covering how about using plantation shutters made to the exact dimensions of your windows.

Also remember that you don't have to have the same treatment on each window. I often combine full length curtains on larger windows with a roman blind in the same fabric on a smaller window such as in your second picture.

Hope this helps.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    It looks as though you do have some privacy out of this window, which is a blessing. I love double draw cellulars for all windows which have potentially nice view out of the tops of the windows while people are in the home looking out. For example. the window by the door looks out to the street and to homes across the street. However, with two way cellulars, you can draw them down from the top allowing a view and privacy at the same time. For a more formal look, you can place drapery on each side of the window if you don't want floor to ceiling fabric. If home insulation is nil, draper lined and to the floor would provide; added insulation and better sound acoustics. Pretty home.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Well done pollyannagal, I was easing into that slowly. The bedroom window style I have seen done nicely with shutters, two shutters on the fixed window to balance the overall effect.

Doug Lau is this just for you? If so I'm sure you would prefer something masculine too.
  • PRO
    Horizon Interior Shutters
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Interiors plantation shutters are perfect for this window style. You may even wish to use mixed panel sizes, so the shutters line up with the existing vertical divisions. Start your research at http://www.horizonshutters.com/plantation-shutters . The windows appear to be tall enough to support the width of the hinged panels.
  • PRO
    Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
    11 years ago
    Hi Doug,

What about some plantation shutters with bi-fold configuration rather than all hinged. It allows you to create some structural interest and also expose the windows if you need. Use a great color too.

Cheers,

Dena
  • ozana
    11 years ago
    Full length curtains I think would look nicest!
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    Full length drapery panels with either cellular shade or roller for blackout. you can then put a piece of furniture directly underneath.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Good suggestions here. I like roller blinds with drapery panels.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    You are not stuck with vertical blinds! Like a few comments above...shutters would be great!
  • Doug Lau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow these are all great recommendations. I'm gonna have to really do some research and see what is the most cost effective and still looks great.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Good luck and don't forget to post the final result.
  • Doug Lau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm thinking of getting cellular shades. Top down bottom up kinds... but what color(s) should I get?!?
    The living room is staying the beige. There's a large family room that has white walls (won't be painting), and then the bedrooms have a warm grey (see attached photos).

What colors do you recommend for each of those three colors?
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I don't think the bedroom windows are tall enough to support cellular shades, you may need just a simple roller blind in a similar fabric to the other rooms or a Roman blind is dressier for a bedroom. Personally, while different coloured curtains can be used in different rooms, I prefer blinds to be all the same. Because of your chosen colours I would use a soft white.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Doug, If you prefer white, grey and warm colors, you can go with grey, or creamy white. It will allow more light in the day but still give you privacy at night. Go to a place like Home Depot, or Lowes (if you have that in your area) and take a flashlight and friend with you. Stand on one side of cellulars and have friend put the flashlight about 12 inches from the shades. Then, you can visualize what the shades will look like sunlit. It isn't perfect -- but it will help.

The whole idea behind the bottom up cellulars is that no matter your window depth, you can still enjoy a level of privacy if you are; resting, or reading at a lower level, say in bed or in a chair or sofa. I love bottom to top because you can be seated and still see the clouds, tree tops but neighbors cannot see in very well. It's the privacy one needs in a city or suburb. Very calming and comforting. We gotta be able to see out.

If you want clean lines, and softness -- cellulars bottom to top option. :=)

Energy Efficient Honeycomb shades with sidetracks · More Info
    see the clouds? :=)
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I agree with greenthumb.

However I would take it one step farther and install a color contrasting drapery panel on each end of the window with a single panel covering the entire corner. It will make the room instantly feel warmer and add that bit of formality that is lacking in the space.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    greenthumb - love that flashlight idea, very clever, have to remember that.